DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: underclocking my moto droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

underclocking my moto droid

I'm interested in underclocking my droid during the time I'm not used it. The rooting is easy but I'm reading that you need a special rom and kernel to do the overclocking is that the same for underclocking? Do I need a special kernel and rom or can I just root then download the setcpu. And do I need to do a nandroid backup if I'm not doing any rom switching?

Thanks for the help
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by bentobox View Post
    I'm interested in underclocking my droid during the time I'm not used it. The rooting is easy but I'm reading that you need a special rom and kernel to do the overclocking is that the same for underclocking? Do I need a special kernel and rom or can I just root then download the setcpu. And do I need to do a nandroid backup if I'm not doing any rom switching?

Thanks for the help

i think you just need setcpu to underclock
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member

Thanks for the help
    Some of the roms come with kernels with multiple clock speeds. for example, the one I'm using lets me clock as low as 250 and as high as 1100 with 3 speeds inbetween.
    SetCPU, for a dollar in the market, lets you set one profile for charging, one for standby, one for in use, etc. So..while in use my phone is set for 400/1100, and while in standby it is set for 250/400. If someone uses their phone all day then the battery will go down faster than stock. If you have it on standby a lot your battery can last longer than stock.

The only reason for a nandroid backup is to get back to "something" if you mess something up. You can always go back to a stock phone, and start over from scratch.

Read the rom instruction guides for features. For example, link 2 in my signature outlines everything in Adamz rom, including clock speeds.

edit: a stock phone is set up for 250/550 for clock speeds.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post

Thanks for the help
    Some of the roms come with kernels with multiple clock speeds. for example, the one I'm using lets me clock as low as 250 and as high as 1100 with 3 speeds inbetween.
    SetCPU, for a dollar in the market, lets you set one profile for charging, one for standby, one for in use, etc. So..while in use my phone is set for 400/1100, and while in standby it is set for 250/400. If someone uses their phone all day then the battery will go down faster than stock. If you have it on standby a lot your battery can last longer than stock.

The only reason for a nandroid backup is to get back to "something" if you mess something up. You can always go back to a stock phone, and start over from scratch.

Read the rom instruction guides for features. For example, link 2 in my signature outlines everything in Adamz rom, including clock speeds.

Thank you that was helpful. So with just stock rooted how high can the clock speed go and how low. And yes I owuld only use the profiles to set it for idle when not in use down a lot so it will save my battery for later when I need it.

What's the max and min clock speed setcpu can change it to while just rooted. And is there no need for nandroid if all I'm doing is rooting and then dl set cpu. And when its at idle id just set in profiles to 250 and then don't change anything else?
    Last edited by bentobox; 03-22-2010 at 04:17 PM.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member

Thank you that was helpful. So with just stock rooted how high can the clock speed go and how low. And yes I owuld only use the profiles to set it for idle when not in use down a lot so it will save my battery for later when I need it.

What's the max and min clock speed setcpu can change it to while just rooted. And is there no need for nandroid if all I'm doing is rooting and then dl set cpu. And when its at idle id just set in profiles to 250 and then don't change anything else?
    A stock rooted phone still can't get out of the fixed 250/550 setting. A new kernel is needed that allows for multiple speeds. You get a new kernel when you apply the rom of your choosing.

Read through the numbered steps in my first link below. Gaining root and getting sprecovery (lets you do nandroid backups) installed is an easy process.

The order of things you do is 1- root, 2 - sprecovery so you can install/recover/backup roms, 3 - backup your current rom, and 4 - apply a new rom. (I chose to follow the steps in link 2 of my sig)

If the instructions seem scary you can use droidmod.com to download dmupdater which will also get you rooted and install sprecovery. As always, tons of folks are here to help you along the way if need be too. Let us know what you do and how you make out.
    Last edited by christim; 03-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Chris

hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christim View Post

Thanks for the help

I believe you can clock from 250-600 without a new kernel, just rooted. If you get a setup you like its good to make a nandroid backup, for those "just in case" circumstances.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    I believe you can clock from 250-600 without a new kernel, just rooted. If you get a setup you like its good to make a nandroid backup, for those "just in case" circumstances.
    Bentobox, try this then: grab SetCPU from the market, you will need it anyways. Follow the 8 steps to get rooted. See if SetCPU will let you change the clock speed of the stock kernel. Let us know if you can or can not.

There also are directions within the first link below to get your phone unrooted and back to stock. If you go the droidmod route that app also will get you back to stock. You decide, and let us know if you need assistance.
    Chris

Links