DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help, phone wont turn on/charge

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Did you get a PASS? If so you flashed the wrong SBF and you have a 2.1 kernel on your 2.2 install. If not then you may have to flash a new SBF.

If you DID get a pass try to boot into recovery. If you can you can install a 2.2 kernel because SPRecovery allows you to mount USB mass storage mode and you can transfer the update.zip to your SD card that way.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X - just upgraded :)
    ^^^ what he said. Most every problem I know if caused by sbf's is putting an unsupported kernel on the android version. Either hack the usb cord or spend a few $$ on an external charger then flash the latest sbf (or if you know what older version you had reflash that) and you phone should be just fine.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
    There is no try, only do or do not -
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Credit to csealpcr and whoever else posted this first!

Use an old USB cable -- any should do. You shouldn't have to butcher your Motorola cable. Do this only if you absolutely need to.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Credit to csealpcr and whoever else posted this first!

Use an old USB cable -- any should do. You shouldn't have to butcher your Motorola cable. Do this only if you absolutely need to.

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.
    GULP
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    how can i find the latest sbf
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X - just upgraded :)
    What phone are you using? If your on the droid 1 and are still on the frg22d android version do a search for that "frg22d" and you should get a thread that guids you through either flashing with rsd lite or applying "update.zip" from recovery. Im not sure if the d1 got a newer kernel version than frg22d so...

There is no try, only do or do not -
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by CD95YJ View Post
    What phone are you using?

Droid 1....
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Twitter
    @Esquire_Keene
    Phone
    Moto Droid X2
    Well i did use RSD Lite to install SP Recovery (that went through successfully) i think my problem came when i tried to root my droid, i must have made a mistake with an update.zip that i tried to install, idk.. But my phone will only turn on when i only plug it into the wall (but only into recovery) if i try to load the phone like normal (it displays the battery as not charged and it will reboot itself after a few moments)

I do have a spare cable that i can butcher modify

i also found an unroot zip i can use to return the phone to stock but i need it to stay on long enough for me to install it first
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    ok so I did this...now it looks like I am back to factory. I want to root my phone so I can get tethering and the bugless rom. anyplace you can direct me so I dont "F" it up again.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links