DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Flashing a ROM on a Droid 1 - Best Practices

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Ok guidot... question... this newbie wants to play around with other roms now. :-) so I have to do this process each time I want to flash a new rom? Is it possible to have several roms installed on my SD card and boot into them as I see fit? I understand I have to wipe data before booting into a new rom, is that right? If i find a few roms I like, can I keep them on my SD card as "romnamehere.zip"? and after I do a backup/wipe, I could boot into recovery and select the .zip I want? Am I understanding that correctly? And I'm not sure if i know what the difference is between doing a nandroid backup and backing up with titanium... when I tried to do a restore through titanium, it didn't really do anything (that I could tell)... I ended up going back to the market myself and reinstalling all my apps that I had had previously before rooting/flashing liquid smooth 3.0. Ugh. :-D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't assume I'm a guy... there are some chicks lurking around these forums and we like technology as much as you boys do!!
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVSP View Post
    Ok guidot... question... this newbie wants to play around with other roms now. :-) so I have to do this process each time I want to flash a new rom? Is it possible to have several roms installed on my SD card and boot into them as I see fit? I understand I have to wipe data before booting into a new rom, is that right? If i find a few roms I like, can I keep them on my SD card as "romnamehere.zip"? and after I do a backup/wipe, I could boot into recovery and select the .zip I want? Am I understanding that correctly? And I'm not sure if i know what the difference is between doing a nandroid backup and backing up with titanium... when I tried to do a restore through titanium, it didn't really do anything (that I could tell)... I ended up going back to the market myself and reinstalling all my apps that I had had previously before rooting/flashing liquid smooth 3.0. Ugh. :-D

If you look at my signature you will find link number 2 to be all you need.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EVSP View Post

What you described will work! Another possibility-- install a rom, make a backup, wipe(data and cache) and install a different rom, make a backup. Repeat for as many roms as you want. When you want to swap simply restore the backup. You may need to update any app that received an update. When you are ready to swap make a new back delete the old and you should be fine.

Hope this is helpful.
    Mike
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Thanks boys ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't assume I'm a guy... there are some chicks lurking around these forums and we like technology as much as you boys do!!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    SamsungŪ SCH-I515
    Well, I know this thread is totally old; however in the spirit of trying to keep the info for the A855 as up-to-date as possible; especially considering the last page's posts. I have rewritten this guide at my site. I took the time (2012-0306) to make sure it al works perfectly. Sorry guidot, I am trying to steal your thunder(and yes I removed the cussing).

How to install a Custom ROM-A855

IMHO, the link above will give anyone the best way to flash a custom rom to your Motorola A855 (Droid 1) phone.

good luck
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Links