Re-read the steps as you have only quoted the outline(s), i.e. it should read (bold added by me):
And the steps are:
Originally Posted by marinemike
- cd /tmp
- cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/
- chmod 777 rage*.bin
This will take some time, just wait for the $ to show up so you know it is done.
- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Terminal Emulator > and Force Stop the application
If you redo it with the actual steps 1-5 above, you should get a different outcome.
Ok... I changed to the tmp file and opened it and it came up with an astro file. Also what file do I have to copy to the tmp directory? how do I change its permissions? How do I run it?
Again it's just an outline of the actual steps that follow.
make system read-writable, copy the superuser. su and busybox files to where they need to go, use chmode to change their permissions, then make the system folder read-only, and exit Terminal Emulator**
Here's the actual steps:
Here.... what system? Where does the files "need to go"
All of this hinges on you having downloaded and extracted the rageagainstthecage.zip file as detailed above where you quoted.
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system