DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: OverClocking 101

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Drop the fastest, lowest-voltage kernel your current phone can run on your replacement and test it overnight with heavy use. If it works fine then you know you have an equal, as long as there are no other issues like sticker bubbles on the keyboard or wonky sounds on the headphone jack.

Quadrant is so variable a source I wouldn't rely on it for anything but bragging rights.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by moset View Post
    I had trouble with what appeared to be the touch screen triggering itself like typing random letters I'm texts and jumping around in apps as if I pressed selections but I was not touching anything. I am awaiting a warranty replacement. Since then I pulled the SD card and the problem seemed to disappear. I reformatted the SD and reflashed the stock OS and have not seen the problem again.
    My question is, knowing that different phones have different characteristics and my old one has never been dropped and handles LV kernels but overheard with ULV what is the easiest way to compare the replacement to determine if it is better than my old one.
    I would hate to give up a better phone for a lessor.
    I could root the replacement and test it, maybe using Quadrant as a gauge.
    Any thoughts?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Your phantom inputs were caused by a bad kernel, not a bad phone. Returning to stock voltage, based on your description, cleared the issue. So if you are 100% certain that your phone can handle a LV kernel and there are no other issues with the phone, it is always going to be better than a refurb. The reason that a phone becomes a refurb is that it had a problem. I doubt they fix every problem perfectly. So a known good phone is always better than an unknown refurb in my opinion.
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    hrdnhvy
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    This comment/question is relation to my other comment/question that I made in post #499. Now I dont know how much of a factor in any it would be but its just another variable I thought of o add to my question in post #499.

In regards to clocking the speed of ones phone down while it is "sleeping" Now I would assume 99% of people would do that using the profile option in Setcpu. I have noticed while doing so, it obviously has to keep a running process going (which can be seen in running apps) in order for it to do so, so would or could that running process be a variable as well that may contribute I would imagine, a very slight amount, but none the less its running, contribute to battery consumption as well versus not having a profile set up. For me, while I am at work I am only able to check m phone every 2-4 hours anyway, so what I have been experimenting with is instead of setting up a profile, I simply keep a shortcut on my main screen to Setcpu & when I know I wont be accessing my phone for several hours I simply open Setcpu & turn down the max clock speed = no profile process runs.

I am going to try to figure out a way to test battery life doing that (manually setting down the clock speed when not in use to probably 400) compared to just leaving the phone clocked to 800 all of the time to attempt to compare things as I stated in post #499.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Your phantom inputs were caused by a bad kernel, not a bad phone. Returning to stock voltage, based on your description, cleared the issue. So if you are 100% certain that your phone can handle a LV kernel and there are no other issues with the phone, it is always going to be better than a refurb. The reason that a phone becomes a refurb is that it had a problem. I doubt they fix every problem perfectly. So a known good phone is always better than an unknown refurb in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the kernel or the ROM was to blame. I reverted to stock and the problem persisted. After removing the SD card the problem disappeared. I reinserted the SD and it wouldn't mount. I put another SD in and no problem. I then formated the original and reloaded the stock OS and for 24 hrs have had no problem.
    The original SD could be read on my computer but not the phone until I formatted with the phone.
    I agree about the referb being a referb because someone else had trouble. If I'm lucky I could get one that was returned for the 30 day worry free deal. Wish there was some kind of diagnostic I could run on both.
    Skull, thanks for your advice. I have read ur stuff and appreciate your research.

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by moset View Post
    Your phantom inputs were caused by a bad kernel, not a bad phone. Returning to stock voltage, based on your description, cleared the issue. So if you are 100% certain that your phone can handle a LV kernel and there are no other issues with the phone, it is always going to be better than a refurb. The reason that a phone becomes a refurb is that it had a problem. I doubt they fix every problem perfectly. So a known good phone is always better than an unknown refurb in my opinion.
    I don't think the kernel or the ROM was to blame. I reverted to stock and the problem persisted. After removing the SD card the problem disappeared. I reinserted the SD and it wouldn't mount. I put another SD in and no problem. I then formated the original and reloaded the stock OS and for 24 hrs have had no problem.
    The original SD could be read on my computer but not the phone until I formatted with the phone.
    I agree about the referb being a referb because someone else had trouble. If I'm lucky I could get one that was returned for the 30 day worry free deal. Wish there was some kind of diagnostic I could run on both.
    Skull, thanks for your advice. I have read ur stuff and appreciate your research.

My bad. I re-read your original post and see where I missed the SD card being the key.

LOL. Guess I am too used to blaming bad voltages for everything
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdnhvy View Post
    This comment/question is relation to my other comment/question that I made in post #499. Now I dont know how much of a factor in any it would be but its just another variable I thought of o add to my question in post #499.

In regards to clocking the speed of ones phone down while it is "sleeping" Now I would assume 99% of people would do that using the profile option in Setcpu. I have noticed while doing so, it obviously has to keep a running process going (which can be seen in running apps) in order for it to do so, so would or could that running process be a variable as well that may contribute I would imagine, a very slight amount, but none the less its running, contribute to battery consumption as well versus not having a profile set up. For me, while I am at work I am only able to check m phone every 2-4 hours anyway, so what I have been experimenting with is instead of setting up a profile, I simply keep a shortcut on my main screen to Setcpu & when I know I wont be accessing my phone for several hours I simply open Setcpu & turn down the max clock speed = no profile process runs.

I am going to try to figure out a way to test battery life doing that (manually setting down the clock speed when not in use to probably 400) compared to just leaving the phone clocked to 800 all of the time to attempt to compare things as I stated in post #499.
    SetCPU has "Triggers" setup that actually wake it up for 90% of what it does. I.E. every profile but heat is triggered by an event and hence requires no running code while waiting for that event to fire off. Now heat does have to be sampled. Based on observations I have done, I would say around every 10 minutes while asleep it samples the temps and at least every 5 minutes when in use. That means the program has to wake up long enough to sample, process and then go back to sleep. I can't see that taking longer than 3/4 of a second to maybe 2 seconds if there is a lot going on.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    chasemanhattan3
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Come on Skull! You've got to look into the conservative governor! I'm telling you now! It's what laptop linux people use to conserve battery. With regular use I'm on hour 26 right now with 40% left.

CM 6.1 rc3 by the way.

Come on everyone, sing it with me! Conservative governors! Conservative governors!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    chasemanhattan3
    Phone
    Droid 3
    30 hours of normal use with conservative. I am now plugging in. I think I could have gotten another hour. setcpu says I have 10% left. Just sayin!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiechase37 View Post
    Come on Skull! You've got to look into the conservative governor! I'm telling you now! It's what laptop linux people use to conserve battery. With regular use I'm on hour 26 right now with 40% left.

CM 6.1 rc3 by the way.

Come on everyone, sing it with me! Conservative governors! Conservative governors!
    I will do a NON-scientific test and run conservative for the next two weeks. I will adjust the advanced stuff every 2 or 3 days to see how it affects things so that I can hone in on a decent overall setting. I have charged the phone to 100%, deleted the battery stats and rebooted. When I hit 20% power I will create a copy of the time-in-state file so I can track how often each slot was in use. I will also note how much display time was used.

This isn't my normal methodology but I should be able to glean enough information to make some suppositions.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    chasemanhattan3
    Phone
    Droid 3
    You're going to be surprised I think. Can't wait for your analysis!

Pursuit of Happiness
    We've Got Forums too (not phone forums though)
Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Links