DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: OverClocking 101

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    +1 for the P3Droid kernels. I use the 1000 MHz for 2.1 and it runs really cool.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by $mitty View Post
    I'm no expert, but I am addicted to my Droid, use it constantly and my temp never goes higher than 110 degrees, and it rarely gets that hot. Utilize the profiles in SetCPU and it should help A LOT. Skull has posted some good starting points regarding the profiles and advanced settings recently. Has done wonders for my battery life, performance and temperature.
    Right now I have my profiles set as follows:

Base(Set on Boot): Max:600 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Charging: Max:250 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Sleep/Standby: Max:250 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Battery 1: <51% Max:550 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Battery 1: <31% Max:500 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Battery 1: <21% Max:250 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand
    Failsafe: Temp > 47.5C Max:250 Min:250 Governor- Ondemand

Advanced(Set on Boot): 50000,75,0,70
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I'm surprised you're running so hot never getting above 600 MHz. I use these settings with the P3Droid kernel and my temp rarely even gets about 100. All CPU governors are set to 'on demand'...

Base - 1000 max, 250 min
    Charging - 1000 max, 250 min
    Sleep/Standby - 500 max, 250 min
    Battery <50 - 800 max, 250 min
    Battery <30 - 600 max, 250 min
    Battery <15 - 500 max, 250 min
    Failsafe Temp 43.9C/111F - 500 max, 250 min

Advanced Settings - 50000, 75, 0, 0

*I'm currently sitting at 82.4 degrees. I usually only get up to 100+ when I do excessive web browsing or navigation/gps usage.

**This may already be understood, but I try and keep the brightness level of my screen way down too. I assume this helps keep it cooler.
    Last edited by $mitty; 06-15-2010 at 10:17 AM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I think it just comes down to "every droid is different". Sometime I think I was just better off running stock and not knowing whats going on with it but its just a major frustration at this point.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Do you run a lot of live widgets and apps that refresh constantly? That might be keeping your Droid working overtime even when it's in stanby mode, not allowing it to take a break to cool down. Again, I'm no expert like Skull, just spitballing here.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanr64 View Post
    I think it just comes down to "every droid is different". Sometime I think I was just better off running stock and not knowing whats going on with it but its just a major frustration at this point.
    Oh how I know that feeling all too well!

Fear not. I began this quest out of frustration on the lack of solid information. If you were to go back to stock, you will find that you will be getting about the same battery temp but you wouldn't be able to tell what the CPU temp is since that is not built in to the ESE 81 OTA ROM.

And you are very correct. Every Droid is unique. I can't stress that enough.

So start with a low voltage kernel and see what happens. Just remember to do a nandroid backup first. It might cost you two hours of your time to test. And if it works, you are better off and if it doesn't you have more experience and have only lost a little time.
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Do you run a lot of live widgets and apps that refresh constantly? That might be keeping your Droid working overtime even when it's in stanby mode, not allowing it to take a break to cool down. Again, I'm no expert like Skull, just spitballing here.
    Spitballing is fine, the only widget I have running is beautiful widgets, I've seen it drop at low as 69F during standby but as soon as I unlock is jumps to ~80F. Its crazy...
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4S daily. Droid and DX
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanr64 View Post
    Spitballing is fine, the only widget I have running is beautiful widgets, I've seen it drop at low as 69F during standby but as soon as I unlock is jumps to ~80F. Its crazy...
    Actually that is very normal and spot on to what I have seen in testing.

2.1 coming out of sleep/standby has to spend about 10 seconds playing catch up. And the CPU with a standard voltage kernel really heats up quick under that condition.

2.2 actually is MUCH better at coming out of sleep/standby than 2.1. I am grateful that the Android team spent so much time fixing that issue alone.
    Facts are the very first casuality of bad information.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I notice that little bit of lag when coming out of standby. Learned to live with it I guess. It runs so fast once that little hiccup is out of the way.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    For those that care, see my sig. That is what I'm running and I've noticed an improvement over battery life. I am not using setcpu either. As far as temps goes, I have no idea. Other then it doesn't "feel" hot. But for those that want to know what stock kernel does with 2.2. I'd have no remorse telling you that it runs faster and extends the battery at the same time.
    But I think that could also be because I am launching my apps quicker, jit is doing it's thing, and I have picked up on download speeds from 3G somehow (guess baseband update did that) that I don't have my screen on as much. Even w/ more use out of my phone (by simplying playing w/ froyo) I still get longer battery life between charges. And my definition of between charges is once the phone kills itself, do a full battery charge, and remove from charger.
    I will not say how many days I can go off a full charge as my definition of use and yours is different.
    Running froyo 2.2 on my Droid via UD root w/ no custom kernel
Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Links