Tallica, do you know the name of the rooted version of the 2.2 OTA you refered to above or have a link? Thanks, want 2.2 rooted and thats it.It's really up to you, If you do the OTA, SPR will block it I think, but if you want 2.2, from 2.1 with SPR you can simply install any 2.2 ROM in this section: Custom Roms you can follow the OP instructions to install. There is even a rooted version of the 2.2 OTA (no other changes) you can run.Edit: If you are on a stock Android 2.2 rom looking to root you need to know that the SPRecovery file for ese81 comes with a kernel for Android 2.1
For those folks, understand that it is very likely that you can not boot up your phone and run that 2.1 kernel on android 2.2
Understanding this will help make sense of the following sequence:
Just a little confused: Iam @ 2.1 with SPRecovery and not rooted. Last night I got the OTA nag to update but haven't initiated yet. Should I go forward with this OTA will this update render my SPRecovery null ? And what 2.2 rooted rom are you speaking of ? The one I have is Signed-voles-FRGO18 from ESE81. I am ready to root using the proceedure in the first post.(been studying it for two days making sure I have all my ducks in a row) Just haven't made up my mind as of yet. I don't want to do the OTA if it is going to render my phone unable to root in the future.I know rooting is personel decision. just don't want to not be able to with going ahead with the OTA update Need a little guidence please. Thanks
- Get the 2.2 rooted rom you want renamed to update.zip on the root of your card first.
- use RSD Lite to flash the sprecovery file onto your phone
- Hold down X and reboot into SPRecovery, instead of booting up the phone. (you boot into sprecovery or boot up the phone, you can't do both at the same time.
- allow/install via the update.zip method explained in the below instructions.
- If you forgot to get update.zip on your phone you can do it now using the mount option within SPRecovery
P.S. Found Petes FRG01BODEXEDOTA.zip file, but a lot of people seem to be having trouble with it as read in another post. BB issues.
I never ran Petes FRG01BODEXEDOTA but a few people I know have and they haven't had problems. Think this is the ROM i was refering to above.
If you want "bells and whistles" there are plenty of those ROMs there too.
ps-installing any of these ROMs will root automatically for you.
Thanks to radar3d for 2.1 root.