DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: SBF to root and to unroot

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    D1>D3>Bionic(retired)>DNA
    hi christim i got to the part where it says hit start my phone is found i have 64 bit drivers, but if i open the .sbf file in rsd lite it doesn't even show the file properties i am running the program as administrator. help lol. thank you for your time. EDIT i figured it out thanks though
    Last edited by rvcjew; 04-23-2010 at 12:26 AM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Works like a charm. Thanks.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochius View Post
    I have used RSDlite to return my phone to stock several times but i cannot get the image file from number 1 to work without RSD stopping and telling me to manually reboot phone but i have to pull the battery out to do this and then it will not boot up and i have had to reset to factory. Any ideas?
    I see nobody has responded to your question yet. Holding down the power button won't reboot the phone for you? I haven't seen this issue yet. Did you get past it or are you still stuck here?

Quote Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
    hi christim i got to the part where it says hit start my phone is found i have 64 bit drivers, but if i open the .sbf file in rsd lite it doesn't even show the file properties i am running the program as administrator. help lol. thank you for your time. EDIT i figured it out thanks though
    I like self-fixing problems. Glad it worked out.

I also added the instructions for a Simple Nandroid Restore, to the first post of this thread, after the Install SPRecovery steps. No mention was made of doing a backup and I figured that would be a good time to make one.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I had the same issue where it was stuck in saying "Please manually reboot this phone"
    All I did was boot the phone back up into recovery or bootloader, I can't remember, but it accepted it.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    [quote=christim;418910]

If you are not interested in changing your stock rom but would like to customize your phone by applying some themes, use wifi-tethering, or overclocking then you will need to root. You can do so and keep the stock 2.1 build by flashing this special rom created by Pete of Bugless Beast fame.[/B]

Root 2.1 by using SPRecovery

1. Download ESE81update.zip
      thanks to Pete of Bugless Beast for creating this file
    2. rename the downloaded file to update.zip
    3. mount Droid to computer
    4. copy file from computer to root of sdcard
    5. unmount card from computer
    6. hold X while rebooting until SPRecovery screen comes up
    7. wipe data factory reset
    8. install
    9. allow update.zip
    10. install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
    Credit to video at droid-life.com

You now have the stock 2.1 rom with root access and can play with Metamorph, apply themes, add a kernel for overstocking and more.
    [B]

Is this legit guys? i wanted a rooted phone but i have the 2.1 stock, so i'm just making sure...
    Last edited by dmacleo; 09-02-2010 at 06:43 AM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla DROID
    First thanks for the step by step! Clear and concise. Okay now to the trouble. I rooted last night and used the rom ESE81 created by Pete of Bugless Beast for a stock 2.1, rooted, and OC'ed. The kernel for the oc is a 2.6.29-omap-1 P3Droid 1000mhz. All went (or is) going well except when I go into "settings-accounts & sync". When I go there the phone does a soft reboot? It goes to the Droid screen and reboots. It doesn't matter what clock speeds are set to, it does this JUST at accounts & sync. Everything else has been great! Any Ideas? Thanks either way!!
    Last edited by quit_killin_me; 04-25-2010 at 10:32 PM.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member

Re: SBF to root and to unroot

Try a different kernel. I use chevyno1's but adamz's work well too. I think P3's work best with cyanogenmod.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla DROID
    Alright! using chevyno1-1.0Ghz-OC-5slot, and so far so good. Temps were high (50c) after installing and such, but have come down to a more favorable 28-30c. All seems to be working well. Accounts and sync runs now. Maybe a different app caused the problem, may re install the P3 kernel later today and see if the error comes back again. Now I just need a radiator, a water block & pump, a BIG battery, and a fan to have myself a water cooled backpak phone!!! Thanks again for the fast reply.

To iamnotjohn, If you mean "legit" like, does it really work... then yes, for me anyway. You have to root the phone first. If you mean "legit" like legal, then I don't know...

edit: P3 kernel reinstalled... all is working. Something wasn't playing nice but It was NOT the p3 kernel. Just wanted to clarify that.
    Last edited by quit_killin_me; 04-26-2010 at 01:04 AM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola
    I am stuck at RSD Lite. I down loaded it but I cant tell if it's an exe or what. I had no luck downloading the 32 bit drivers it gave me the bar at the top asking me what I wanted to do, I selected download and nothing happens.
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Practice what you preach.

I've been networking, fixing computers, and building/hosting servers since the early 1990's so its fair to say I know my way around connectivity, the command prompt, troubleshooting, etc. However, prior to this post I had not flashed even a single sbf file but do understand what its doing. I had RSD Lite installed and always stopped short of hitting the Start button. My phone worked, and I was happy with it. However, I figured if I was going to give advice I should go through the steps too.

Background. I'm on SG 6.0, having installed it less than an hour prior to 6.1 coming out. rooted since mid-feb.

So today the game plan was as follows:

1. Use SPrecovery to create a nandroid backup of my current setup.
    2. Use RSD Lite to flash back to 2.01 stock
    3. OTA update to 2.1
    4. Flash SPRecovery with RSD Lite
    5. Use SPRecovery to get the rooted ESE81 into place.
    6. Next I'll probably look around a bit and then most likely use SPRecovery to restore my SG 6.0 backup I'll make at the start of this exercise.

So here is my play by play with timestamps for reference.

battery 70% Plugged into USB and plan on leaving it plugged in.

1. 3:20pm - power down phone, power phone on while holding X and do a simple nandroid backup of my current setup
    2. 3:24pm backup complete. rebooted phone, held down up on dpad
      rebooted into bootloader app
    3. 3:24pm Start up RSD Lite. Select the 2.01 stock SBF file. The phone says "sw update in progress..." and RSD Lite's progress column shows progress
    4. 3:30pm the phone reboots and I see the Red Droid Eye. It's been blue for me for a long time.
    5. 3:31pm Phone is up and I need to activate it. Try twice it fails. Option is to call in or try for a better signal. I unplug and move to the front yard.
    6. 3:34pm Phone is activated and I have signed into gmail. Gmail is syncing with the phone.
    7. 3:41pm Access to the desktop. Settings/About Phone show Android 2.01. Settings/About Phone/System Updates shows the 2.1 update is 20% downloaded.
    8. 3:46pm 2.1 update is 50% downloaded. Battery level is now at 60%
    9. 3:57pm the update download is complete and now is verifying. The phone gives me an option to Restart and Install. I take it.
    10. 3:58pm Picture of a droid sitting next to a box with an arrow coming out of the box trying to stab the droid. Progress bar below that moving slowly.
    11. 4:01pm Red Eye displays and then fades to DROID!
    12. 4:01pm Settings/about phone = 2.1 update1 and for the first time I am on baseband 3p.
    13. 4:03pm - power down.... press up on dpad and tap the power on button
    14. 4:04pm hit the start button in RSD Lite for SPRecovery for ese81
    15. 4:04pm phone is being rebooted. Much faster for SPRecovery than for 2.01 but SPRecovery is much smaller than the system too, so that's to be expected. If I had thought ahead I could have held in the X key to save some time. So....
    16. 4:05pm power down to get back into sprecovery to flash ese81 rooted rom
    17. 4:05pm Hold down X key, get into SPRecovery and realize the needed file is still on the computer. Reboot again.
    18. 4:07pm back up, mount card, copy file to card, rename file, unmount from computer
    19. 4:09pm shutting down phone
    20. 4:11pm in SPRecovery, flashing Pete's ese81 rooted rom.
    21. 4:27pm sitting at 20%. Worried about battery level. Unplug from PC and plug into the wall. gives me time to type this up from my notes.
    22. 4:36pm noticed screen said e:update.zip install blocked. Hit camera button a few times. Progress bar moved further each time but continued to say blocked. Rebooted battery at 50%
    23. 4:44pm redownload update.zip
    24. 4:45pm shut down phone, reboot holding x. try update.zip again. Keep trying to install, keep getting the same error.
      1. Install from SDcard
        Finding update package...
        Opening update package...
        verifying update package...
        e:update.zip install blocked
        installation aborted

25. 4:48pm light bulb goes on. Allow update install...DOH ! Important Step #9 in post 1. my bad. wasted almost 45 minutes right there. (4:11 to 4:48)
    26. 4:49pm rebooting
    27. 4:51pm activating phone
    28. 4:55pm phone activated. Did not have to redo contacts and gmail this time. Settings/About Phone/Build Number = ESE81 by Pete. Battery Level 50%.
    29. 4:58pm Started process of naming Advanced Nandroid Backup. Selected everything.
    30. 5:02pm completed backup.
    31. 5:03pm advanced nandroid restore (because I don't want the most recent one I just made 2 minutes ago) and selected the one I made an hour and a half ago. Left default settings taking Boot, Data, and System only.
    32. 5:06pm Rebooted
    33. 5:08pm looked phone over...Smoked Glass is looking good and as I started to suspect due to how I restored I ended up with baseband 3p too = Bonus! Battery at 50%.

Hope this helps someone out. As long as you follow the directions it all works out as expected! (see bullet 25!!!)
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Links