DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Sony Xperia Z Screen Repair Guide

1. Official Site Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @repairsuniverse
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member

Sony Xperia Z Screen Repair Guide

Is the screen on your Sony Xperia Z broken or cracked? Our step-by-step guide will walk you through how to take apart the Sony Xperia Z and replace not only a busted LCD screen or touch screen, but also internal parts that may need to be restored.

This guide will help you install the following Sony Xperia Z parts:

Required Tools:

• Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Spudger Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Small Flathead Screwdriver
    • Suction Cup Tool
    • Adhesive Strips
    • Tweezers
    • Heat Gun/Blow Dryer

All of the parts and tools you'll need to fix your Sony Xperia Z can be found at www.RepairsUniverse.com

Sony Xperia Z Tear Down Guide:

• Before you start with the repair it is vital you completely power down the device.
    • Begin by using a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer (on medium) and heat up the edges and sides of the back cover in order to loosen the adhesive that secures the cover to the device.
    • Next, tightly secure a Suction Cup Tool to the phone's back cover. The suction cup is most efficient when placed near the top right side of the device. The safe open pry tool will also assist with the removal of the back cover.
    • While you tug on the suction cup slide your pry tool along the edges and sides in order to loosen the adhesive so you can take off the cover. While doing so you may come across stubborn spots where the adhesive is much stronger. If this is the case just continue to heat the adhesive till it is loose enough, but make sure not to overheat the device as this can cause damage to some of the components.

• After the cover has been removed it uncovers the internal components. Release the battery connection (figure 2.1 in red) which has a flex cable also attached.
    • The battery is held in place with relatively strong adhesive. Make sure you note the blue and yellow highlighted areas (figure 2.1) depicted in the picture below. The highlighted areas indicate where the adhesive (in blue) and the flex cables (in yellow) are located under the battery. Be careful not to pry where the flex cables are positioned. With the Spudger tool release the battery from the adhesive.
    • Once the battery has been removed additional components will need to be released. Release the four (4) flex cables along with the plastic spacer (these parts are in green in figure 2.2).
    • Take out the vibrate motor using the Spudger tool, the motor is highlighted in purple and is near the bottom right of the device.
    • Then remove the four (4) Small Phillips screws with a Small Phillips screwdriver (screws are shown circled in red in figure 2.2). Once the screws are unscrewed, using your pry tool take out the black housing (highlighted in purple) at the top right.

• Next we continue to remove some of the internal parts.
    • Take out the main camera being held down by copper tape. (Figure 3.1)
    • Remove the front camera by releasing the pop connector which holds it in place. (Figure 3.2)
    • With a pair of tweezers take out the sim card tray. (Figure 3.3)
    • Remove the motherboard but be careful not to tug on or tear the released connections. (Figure 3.4)

• Using a Small Flathead screwdriver remove the ear speaker. (Figure 4.1)
    • Remove the headphone jack and sensor flex cable using the pry tool. (Figure 4.2)
    • Release the small plastic cover near the bottom right of the unit using the pry tool. Cautiously release this part because it is still attached to the antenna flex cable. (Figure 4.3)
    • With the pry tool release the circuit board from the clips that hold it to the housing. Be aware that the circuit board is connected to the antenna flex cable. (Figure 4.4)

• During these next steps use the pry tool.
    • Near the bottom right side of the device release the lower flex cable. (Figure 5.1)
    • Remove the antenna circuit board. (Figure 5.2)
    • Release the side button flex cable. Begin in the lower left corner and shim the tool under the cable working your way up the left side of the device. Be careful throughout this step due to the fact the flex cable is very delicate. (Figure 5.3)
    • Remove the metal bracket which holds the cable in place. After the bracket is removed, fully remove the side button flex cable. (Figure 5.4)

• The final step will be to remove the screen from the housing.
    • Using the heat gun (on low) or hair dryer (on medium) heat the edges and sides of the screen assembly for about 40 - 60 seconds. (Figure 6.1)
    • Removing the screen assembly can be problematic with this phone. After the adhesive has been warmed up use your pry tool and begin removing the screen assembly. The most efficient spot to start is at the very top of the unit where you can wedge between the speaker hole and the camera hole. Because the adhesive is so strong the touch screen will almost always crack during this removal. (Figure 6.2)
    • Gain leverage underneath the screen by using the Spudger tool. Apply more heat where needed to release stubborn adhesive.
    • Keep prying beneath the adhesive and wedge around the corners and sides until you can release the LCD combination screen and touch screen. (Figure 6.3)
    • Remove the final flex cable. (Figure 6.4)

• To finish, install the new components while throwing away the damaged components and reverse these steps in order to reassemble your phone.

RepairsUniverse's Repair Guides are for informational and instructional purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
    Last edited by RepairsUniverse; 10-07-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Visit www.RepairsUniverse.com to find screen replacements and other replacement parts to fix for your smartphone or tablet.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    sony xperia z
    Thanks for this Repairs Universe! I bought my screen replacement for my Xperia Z from you guys it works flawlessly. I know its not gonna be water proof anymore but at least the screen isn't cutting my face anymore!
  3. Official Site Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @repairsuniverse
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbslater View Post
    Thanks for this Repairs Universe! I bought my screen replacement for my Xperia Z from you guys it works flawlessly. I know its not gonna be water proof anymore but at least the screen isn't cutting my face anymore!
    Thanks! we're glad we could help!

Visit www.RepairsUniverse.com to find screen replacements and other replacement parts to fix for your smartphone or tablet.
  4. Official Site Vendor
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    @repairsuniverse
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbslater View Post
    You're definitely welcome! That's what we love to hear, and we are glad we could help!

Links