DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help rooting Razr Maxx Hd on 4.1.1

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Need help rooting Razr Maxx Hd on 4.1.1

Like the title says i need help rooting my device. I used the razr hd utility and it messed up my phone into a bootloop. Luckly it was still under warranty to swap out. It came with 4.1.1 out the box ic tht matters. Any help would be extremely appreciated

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by dillonorden View Post
    Like the title says i need help rooting my device. I used the razr hd utility and it messed up my phone into a bootloop. Luckly it was still under warranty to swap out. It came with 4.1.1 out the box ic tht matters. Any help would be extremely appreciated
    There are two ways...KaChow's method above and the one I outline here. My method worked perfect for me this morning. In either method, you must restore your HD back to 4.0.4. To do this (1) download Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10. (2) After downloading the utility extract it to its own folder or to your desktop. The utility .zip MUST be extracted, you cannot run the utility from within the .zip file. (3) Make sure USB debugging is selected on your phone. (4) After extracting the utility .zip find the folder that contains the Motorola drivers. Connect your HD to your computer using the factory provided USB cable and install the drivers. (5) When prompted in the notifications bar about what type of USB connection select media. (6) Now, power off your phone. Connect your phone to your computer. (7) Press the power and the volume up and down rocker simutaneously. You will boot into a black screen with white lettering. (8) Scroll down to AP Fastboot using volume down (NOTE-you have to be quick because the phone will leave this screen and boot normally after a few seconds so scroll down to AP Fastboot and select using the power up quickly). If the phone reboots normally just power off and start over. (9) Once in AP Fastboot select option 1. This will restore your phone to 4.0.4. Make sure you let the utility run completely. (10) After the restore allow your phone to boot. Once booted, run option 2...root. (11) After rooting download and install Voodoo Rootkeeper. Open RootKeeper and protect root. Then, temporarly unroot. and power off your phone. (12) Power on your phone and you should receive an upgrade notification...security update. Take the update. Once the update is finished power off your phone and reboot. (13) Open RootKeeper and restore root. If you have root, then temporarily unroot and power off your phone. (14)Turn your phone back on and you should be notified of a second update...4.1.1. update. Take the update and allow the phone to reboot. After rebooting open Voodoo Rootkeeper and restore root.
    Last edited by jpcalhoun; 03-14-2013 at 05:20 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I did that and when it gets to system.img it fails to send it to my phone. Do i need an SD card to flash back to 4.0.4
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    247 times
    Phone
    SM-N900V
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    There is only one way to root the HD with 4.1.1...one way only. You must restore your HD back to 4.0.4. To do this (1) download Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10. (2) After downloading the utility extract it to its own folder or to your desktop. The utility .zip MUST be extracted, you cannot run the utility from within the .zip file. (3) Make sure USB debugging is selected on your phone. (4) After extracting the utility .zip find the folder that contains the Motorola drivers. Connect your HD to your computer using the factory provided USB cable and install the drivers. (5) When prompted in the notifications bar about what type of USB connection select media. (6) Now, power off your phone. Connect your phone to your computer. (7) Press the power and the volume up and down rocker simutaneously. You will boot into a black screen with white lettering. (8) Scroll down to AP Fastboot using volume down (NOTE-you have to be quick because the phone will leave this screen and boot normally after a few seconds so scroll down to AP Fastboot and select using the power up quickly). If the phone reboots normally just power off and start over. (9) Once in AP Fastboot select option 1. This will restore your phone to 4.0.4. Make sure you let the utility run completely. (10) After the restore allow your phone to boot. Once booted, run option 2...root. (11) After rooting download and install Voodoo Rootkeeper. Open RootKeeper and protect root. Then, temporarly unroot. and power off your phone. (12) Power on your phone and you should receive an upgrade notification...security update. Take the update. Once the update is finished power off your phone and reboot. (13) Open RootKeeper and restore root. If you have root, then temporarily unroot and power off your phone. (14)Turn your phone back on and you should be notified of a second update...4.1.1. update. Take the update and allow the phone to reboot. After rebooting open Voodoo Rootkeeper and restore root.
    Just an FYI... the 4.1.1. update, downloads, then crashes, thus the JB OTA does not work properly.

I did that and when it gets to system.img it fails to send it to my phone. Do i need an SD card to flash back to 4.0.4
    At the present time, the most complete way to obtain root and JB is through this method, if you need help with it, pm me.
    If you like this signature click on it, copy the [IMG] middle "URL" link to your signature-> in your settings... Enjoy!

6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by KaChow View Post
    Just an FYI... the 4.1.1. update, downloads, then crashes, thus the JB OTA does not work properly.

At the present time, the most complete way to obtain root and JB is through this method, if you need help with it, pm me.
    KaChow...I don't want to start an argument here between two experienced users, but the method I explained above worked perfectly for me this morning. Restore to 4.0.4...reboot...root...temp unroot...reboot...check for updates...take security update...check root...temp unroot...power off...reboot...check for updates...take update and restore root. Worked like a charm the first try.
    Last edited by jpcalhoun; 03-14-2013 at 04:33 PM.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    No, use the RazrUtility 1.10 to restore back to 4.0.4. You have to do the restore function (Option 1) in the utility.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I used razr hd utility 1.10 and it fails to send the system.img during the fastboot process. I did it 20+ times before i gave up n swapped it out at vzw. Im running windows xp could tht b my prob?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    I used razr hd utility 1.10 and it fails to send the system.img during the fastboot process. I did it 20+ times before i gave up n swapped it out at vzw. Im running windows xp could tht b my prob?
    Well, it could be, but if the drivers installed correctly it shouldn't matter I would think...but you never know. Have you extracted the utility to its own folder and using the factory USB cable?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Yea. Im very familiar wit rootin Motorola devices. I rooted the og droid, d2g, and the bionic. This one is jus givin me the hardest time n idk if its bc im on xp its the device itself or if its bc its android 4.1.1
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Yea. Im very familiar wit rootin Motorola devices. I rooted the og droid, d2g, and the bionic. This one is jus givin me the hardest time n idk if its bc im on xp its the device itself or if its bc its android 4.1.1
    I'm not sure what the issue is. Perhaps you can PM Matt ask him for assistance. He hangs out in this forum sometimes or your best bet is to go to Droidrzr.com and PM him there. Someone may come along with a solution...but I don't know what to tell you. The only difference between KaChow's root method and the one I layed out above is that I use the OTA updates instead of sideloading them. If you can ever get back to 4.0.4 you can choose which one you want to use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links