DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can I reverse the automatic upgrade 4.0 -->4.1?

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member
    Root is simple on 4.0, but be aware once you root, even if you unroot, they will be able to tell you were once rooted. If that was your concern.

Your best bet is to just download Matt's 1.10 utility. It has restore 4.0.4 and root all in one place.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sho....php?p=2383254
    Last edited by GoCliffGo05; 03-08-2013 at 06:18 PM.

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCliffGo05 View Post
    Root is simple on 4.0, but be aware once you root, even if you unroot, they will be able to tell you were once rooted. If that was your concern.

Your best bet is to just download Matt's 1.10 utility. It has restore 4.0.4 and root all in one place.

[TOOL] Easy Root Komplete
    My wife's Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD currently runs ICS v4.0.4, system 0.7.2.XT926 and has PdaNet/FoxFi working. The only problem left is that the nag screen to upgrade to JB comes up every 12 hours. I think that is too often to prevent an accidental upgrade to 4.1.

So my goal at this point is to prevent the nag screen from running. Since that requires rooting, I think it would be better for security if I unroot after making that change. If my approach seems reasonable, I have these Questions:

Q1 - For such a simple goal, should I use the shorter method to root/unroot here?
    [TOOL] ROOT for Razr HD - Verizon XT925/XT926

Q2 - If I root the phone, what should I change to silence the nag screen.

Q3 - Is this all reversible at a later time, like if PdaNet overcomes the WiFi or USB or Bluetooth restriction with JB. Or if Verizon comes up with a free plan for users of 5 or less hours/month of tether. etc.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    If I'm not mistaken, the only reason to worry about FoxFi is if you are on the unlimited data plan wherein you are supposed to pay for the ability to use tethering. If you are already on a tiered data plan then tethering is free/included on JB. The only issue is that it will go against the amount of data you're paying for.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the only reason to worry about FoxFi is if you are on the unlimited data plan wherein you are supposed to pay for the ability to use tethering. If you are already on a tiered data plan then tethering is free/included on JB. The only issue is that it will go against the amount of data you're paying for.
    I checked with Verizon and learned that even with JB I can get a free hotspot if I switch our two phones from "unlimited data" to a "share everything" plan.

With "unlimited data" plan I can buy a hotspot for $1/day in whole-day increments -- switching the service on and off by calling Verizon. That is doable for my occasional usage (2 to 5 days per month) as long as I remember to turn it off when I finish. I am trying it out today and tomorrow.
    Last edited by StanH; 03-09-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: for clarity
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links