DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background apps that are running and I havent even used....

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    RAZR MEGA FAIL HD

Background apps that are running and I havent even used....

Totally new to this forum, just finally got my first smart phone, Droid RAZR HD, I LOVE IT!!!!

I do not like though the massive memory that takes up space from these background apps running.... for instance, right now, though NFC is turned off, Nfc Service is running in the background. Why? And also, why when I kill the apps with Task Killer, they friggin return?

Bad enough the phone only has 1 GB of memory, but to have only a hundred or so megs free hurts the phones performance.

I have used the app killer back to back and once freed up 350 megs. But then just goes back down to 100 or so free megs.

Any ideas?

James
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member

Re: Background apps that are running and I havent even used....

Hey James.

This is a misconception. Android keeps apps running (using RAM) in the background so it can access them easier and it actually helps the phones performance. As long as they aren't using CPU then you are fine.

Task killers don't work like they do on a computer for these phones and the general consensus is to stay away from them.

Edit: I also moved this topic to the HD section.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    RAZR MEGA FAIL HD
    I appreciate the info and understand, yes, it makes access to them faster but if I never used or use NFC, why would that be running in the background? And I too find the task killer absolutely pointless as they come right back.

But as stated I thought there may be an app that will keep things that you have no use for out of the background, and out of my RAM. Also, the whole reason for RAM is to make it faster for CPU to access that program, so in theory, I would think an overload in RAM would actually have an effect on the processor, if not, then there would be no need for RAM, just ROM.

James
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    Phone
    SM-N900V
    What you could do and I don't know if you have root or not. Without root you can try disabling apps from your Settings> Apps> "All" which if you do not have root or superuser access, some system settings and apps may not be able to be disabled, (also I suggest to click the check box for Don't keep activities, that is listed in Settings> Developer options> Apps> Don't keep activities.) If you are rooted you can safely freeze some of these useless running apps, I suggest to Freeze rather than Delete as "deleting" can cause problems in the long run. Anyhow, here is a list of all the apps that can be safely removed, click here.
    If you like this signature click on it, copy the [IMG] middle "URL" link to your signature-> in your settings... Enjoy!

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    RAZR MEGA FAIL HD
    Quote Originally Posted by KaChow View Post
    What you could do and I don't know if you have root or not. Without root you can try disabling apps from your Settings> Apps> "All" which if you do not have root or superuser access, some system settings and apps may not be able to be disabled, (also I suggest to click the check box for Don't keep activities, that is listed in Settings> Developer options> Apps> Don't keep activities.) If you are rooted you can safely freeze some of these useless running apps, I suggest to Freeze rather than Delete as "deleting" can cause problems in the long run. Anyhow, here is a list of all the apps that can be safely removed, click here.
    When I go to Settings, the Apps, it said I had to install the new software for Apps, so I did, now its saying that it doesnt exist anymore??? I remember once being able to "Force Stop" apps with out the Task Killer.

What or how do I get back to where it shows me whats running in the background? Confused now....
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    Phone
    SM-N900V
    Correct you did have the ability to Force Stop apps. Basically it sounds like you are interested in 2 functions within the Settings 1)Battery and 2)Apps. Take a look at the Apps, what is "Running" and also check out the Show Cached Processes. I tend not to use either of these Settings to monitor activity, instead I use the Pro version of this app, click here for the free version, it will provide you with some very helpful information.
    If you like this signature click on it, copy the [IMG] middle "URL" link to your signature-> in your settings... Enjoy!

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    RAZR MEGA FAIL HD
    Thanks! Nice App, quick question, that maybe you know.

When I put the phone on speaker... right.... and the screen goes out, why is there NO way to get it back off speaker? The ONLY thing I am able to to do is end the call by hitting the power button, what the hell is that all about?

Is there a setting where I can specifically set, that if I am on speaker phone, some how I can go back and turn it off without ending the call?

THNX!
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmythegent View Post
    Thanks! Nice App, quick question, that maybe you know.

When I put the phone on speaker... right.... and the screen goes out, why is there NO way to get it back off speaker? The ONLY thing I am able to to do is end the call by hitting the power button, what the hell is that all about?

Is there a setting where I can specifically set, that if I am on speaker phone, some how I can go back and turn it off without ending the call?

THNX!
    You have the power button as end call in your settings you can take it off. That's what your problem is.

WindowsHat3r
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member

Re: Background apps that are running and I havent even used....

Settings - accessibility and turn of "power button ends call."

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD XT926
    I know, I know, I keep posting on old threads...

But since a lot of these topics are Android specific and not specific to any Droid, I have some experience with them from my previous device ownerships. I do not use and did not like it when I tried it, BUT Juice Defender may help you a lot with your battery issues, I have been told you can change the priority of certain apps, so they are "less likely" to load in the background, that way for apps you don't use, but don't want to remove in case you need it...

It also can manipulate your radios (turn gps on or off, wifi, and cellular data)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links