I have tried the MattLGroff Utility method multiple times. Each time I become stuck at stock 4.0.4 ics. My maxx hd will take the ota 7.x.x update but then the ota jb update fails each time.
Rooting works, but i cant get back to jb. I have followed instructions about using voodoo, so I am not sure what the issue is!
Any other suggestions on how to root and still get jb?
Root Checker should have Green lights on SuperUser, SuperSU and Busy Box. Go into Utility and run Voodoo, and create the SuperUser backup, go into Root Checker and verify root SuperUser and SuperSU will be red, Busy Box will be green. Go into the phone settings and push the JB update. This ICS to Root to JB does work, if the JB OTA is still not going through. May want to startover, this process is successful.
I have been using another post's instructions....and have been essentially running all 4 of the utility steps in order...THEN trying to temp-unroot and take JB update. Also, I have never updated binaries or installed BusyBox. THESE THINGS may be the problem I am guessing. I am trying what you have suggested in this post today.....and will report back later. Thanks much!
Ok.... I have successfully followed the steps, and successfully installed the JB update.
NOW, I am unable to restore root. Using Voodoo, I click on the Restore Root button, and it just sits there. HELLP ??!!
This is what I have done:
1. Run 1.1 utility, selection 1 to restore to ics 4.0.4
2. After phone reboots into ics, accept and install the 0.7 OTA update.
3. Run 1.1 utility, selection 2 to root. As far as I know the bug report was generated.
4. After reboot:
a. Update SU binaries
b. Install SuperSU (prompted/accepted binaries update when program runs the first time)
c. Install BusyBox via Normal installation choice
5. Run 1.1 utility, selection 3 to install Voodoo OTA rootkeeper
6. Install Root Checker from market (status shows as green--rooted)
7. Open OTA Rootkeeper and click Temp-unroot
8. Open RootKeeper and check root status (shows as red--not rooted)
9. Install OTA JB update on phone.
10. After reboot, Open OTA Rootkeeper and click Restore Root.
Last edited by cwassman; 01-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.
There are ways to get through this, depends on how well you know ADB and some of this is above my experience. So feel free to contribute community if you can.
On a second go at the process, I did exactly what your latest post said. Make sure the BusyBox binaries are as you said.
Success. Rooted on Stock JB!
Thanks again for all your help KaChow!
Last edited by cwassman; 01-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.