This guide has been revised and reflects the latest changes that have been implemented to gain and retain Root, whether that is through keeping ICS 4.0.4 or JB 4.1.1, this been updated effective as March 1st, 2013. As the original and sole purpose of this thread has remained the same and that is to put together a guide, so that anyone at any skill-level that owns or is the possession of a Razr HD/Maxx HD can root their devices in the most Komplete form that is possible. Before rooting, it is important to note that, YOU WILL LOSE ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS AND DATA. Also, you assume the risk for rooting your device, you purchased it you own it, and responsibility is yours, not mine.
DroidForums is not responsible for what you do with your device.
Some Important Developers that are responsible for acheiving the successes that lead to us rooting our devices and keeping root are listed below. Not all Developers are listed.
xda-developers - View Profile: djrbliss
xda-developers - View Profile: supercurio
I make one request to PLEASE THANK THESE DEVELOPERS, FOR THEIR HARDWORK, THAT YOU BENEFIT FROM IN GAINNING ROOT. IF I WITH MY THREAD THAT I HAVE CREATED FOR YOU AND OUR DEDICATED AND EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGABLE MODERATORS ASSISTED YOU OR MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO GAIN OBTAINABLE ROOT, PLEASE CLICK THE THANKS or THE LIKE BUTTON. A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY AND WITHOUT QUESTION THANK THE DEVELOPERS FOR ALL THEY HAVE DONE.
Before proceeding any further go into your App Drawer> in the upper right corner click on the 3 dot line and select Play Store> in Play Store go to My Apps (again accessible upper right corner 3 dot line)> review your installed apps and also your “ALL” apps. The Play Store will retain all of your apps, as long as you keep your device in sync, and you can access this site to retrieve them after reset. Next I recommend downloading SMS Backup & Restore click here, and also as a precaution download Call Log Backup & Restore click here, (Verizon does a nice job of backing up call history, this is to ensure saving Call Logs). Run both of these downloaded apps make sure your backups are saved to the External card. This concludes the backups, an excellent suggestion is to copy both the Internal and External cards via USB to your computer to ensure protection of all your information. After all backups have been made proceed forward.
Begin by downloading MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY.
This is the LINK for Windows Users.
This is the LINK for Mac/Linux Users.
These instructions are based on Windows Users, there are common similarities for Mac/Linux users. EXTRACT THE .ZIP TO YOUR DESKTOP FOR BEST RESULTS AND RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled (check this setting in> Settings> Developer Options> USB debugging, also check to ensure your computer is connected via USB cable and your device is displayed in My Computer.) Open the DROID RAZR UTILITY and…
1. Double click on DROID_RAZR_HD_UTILITY (can right click and select Run as Administrator)
2. Program will open and go into MattLGroff’s the “Batman Screen” press any key, which leads to “Options 1-4”
3. Start with the first option “Fastboot Restore 0.6.25 <ICS 4.0.4 Official Software>” this will delete ALL YOUR SETTINGS and ANYTHING STORED ON THE INTERNAL MEMORY. You will need to press any key during this downgrade, just watch the screen for the prompt.
4. Your computer will reboot, device will require the “1111” dial pin and begin to walk you through a new setup, enter your Gmail account so your Play Store will begin to restore your apps to your device, DON’T WORRY ABOUT GETTING ALL OF YOUR APPS AND SETTINGS TO RETURN. THERE IS MUCH TO DO YET.
5. PREPARE TO ROOT, in the PAST there would have been a POP UP of an Update 0.7.2, this Update is NO LONGER SUPPORTED via OTA. This would have been accessible via Settings> About phone> System updates, DO NOT BE CONCERNED WE WILL GET TO THIS UPDATE, SHORTLY.
6. Go back into MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY and double click on DROID_RAZR_HD_UTILITY (if it is not already open) ((it is also safe to keep this file open and available as it does not need to be closed))
7. Now is the time to Root your device, select option, “2 Root for ICS 4.0.4 by djrbliss <motofail2go method>
8. Follow the instructions carefully> You will be required to complete a Bug Report, the Bug Report is pressing the Power button and the (-) down volume button at the same time. This will create a buzz, then release and wait for the device to buzz. This is just like a screenshot, same timing as well, soon as the first buzz occurs release and wait for the second buzz. Also watch screen to press any key as the screen prompts request.
9. Successful completion you will find SuperUser installed on your device. Go into App Drawer> open SuperUser> slide screen to the left should see a reading of “su binary v3.x.x” below should see tap to check for updates. Go ahead and tap as this is updating the binaries. I suggest going into the Play store and downloading these 3 apps, SuperSU, BusyBox, and Root Checker. With SuperSU open the app> check Enable SuperUser and Accept SuperUser’s permission request. Go into BusyBox> lower left corner select install, and Accept SuperUser’s permission request. Go to Root Checker> main screen is “Root” click Verify Root> should be all green showing SuperUser and SuperSU installed, slide to the right for BusyBox> click Verify BusyBox should be Green exit out.
10. Go back into MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY, if not already open, click on DROID_RAZR_HD_UTILITY and this time select and Install Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper App by supercurio. This will push Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper to your device.
11. At the same time while in MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY, proceed to Install Safestrap 3.05.17 App by Hashcode> this will push the app to your device.
12. Now with both Safestrap 3.05.17 and Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper App. First, go into the App Drawer> find Safestrap 3.05.17> Open the App, and Select Install, Grant any SuperUser Access if requested. Safestrap 3.05.17 is YOUR RECOVERY and needed to KOMPLETE the ROOT process.
13. Next DOWNLOAD THESE THIS LINKs, PROVIDED BY MattLGroff, THIS FIRST LINK IS THE OTA 0.7.2 Link, that is labeled as the Blur_Version.0.6.25.XT926.Verizon.en.us .
14. After OTA 0.7.2 Also known as a Security Patch is downloaded. Proceed to this Link, provided by satman80 and download the link known as 9.1.41 Jelly Bean Android Version 4.1.1. Below this writing states “Flash Over 0.7.2.XT926.Verizon.en.us.4.0.4 . THIS IS CORRECT.
15. PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THESE NEXT STEPS AS THEY ARE CRITICAL!!!
16. With the two files 1) Blur_Version.0.6.25.XT926.Verizon.en.us and 2) 0.7.2.XT926.Verizon.en.us there is an ORDER that these files need to be installed.
17. First, Go Into Your COMPUTER and find the FOLDER, Where these 2 FILES were Saved. COPY OR CUT these files and MOVE THEM to YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD (for example inside your SD Card there are visible Files and Folders, DO NOT PASTE or STORE THESE FILES INSIDE A FILE, BUT INSTEAD AS A REGULAR DOCUMENT THAT IS VISIBLE FROM THE OPENING OF THE SD Card.)[This is often called the Root of the SD Card.] Once, this has been accomplished, proceed to.
18. Next go into App Drawer> find Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper and select it> there should be a “Single button” towards middle bottom of the page, press the button it will create a hidden backup of SuperUser. There will now be 2 buttons displayed the first is Delete su backup (DO NOT TOUCH THIS ONE), IN ORDER TO KEEP ROOT SELECT THE 2nd Button Temp. un-root (keeps backup), upon selecting this button ONLY one button will appear which is RESTORE ROOT.
19. Go to Root Checker, under Root click Verify Root> Everything should be Red (it is Red because Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper created a hidden copy of SuperUser. Slide the screen to the right to BusyBox inside Root Checker and this time click Verify BusyBox> it should be Green (Phone is still Rooted even with the Hidden SuperUser.)
20. Now, it is time to install the OTA 0.7.2 Blur_Version.0.6.25.XT926.Verizon.en.us . PAY CAREFULL ATTENTION TO THE STEPS, AS YOU NEED TO BE UNROOTED via Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper AND THIS WILL RETAIN ROOT AFTER FLASHING THE UPDATE.
21. Begin by Rebooting your device, HOLD [Power + Volume Down (-)] at the same time, continue to HOLD through the screen print snapshot, release WHEN SCREEN IS BLACK or BLANK.
22. Should see the Motorola “Red Dot” appear on the screen, the next screen is SAFESTRAP, should be a “Funky looking Robot Character in the middle of the screen” the bottom right corner there is a bottom to Continue and bottom left corner there is a button for RECOVERY. Push for RECOVERY, This screen appears and disappears quickly, so Hit the Recovery button as soon as possible
23. Inside Recovery LOOK to the Upper RIGHT CORNER button that says, “Install” press the button, make sure the “Use External SD” is selected upper left corner and look for the Blur_Version.0.6.25.ST926.Verizon.en.US.zip (should be at the bottom of the scroll if it was pasted to the External SD card correctly.) If you have trouble finding this PRESS the folder that reads (Up A Level), scroll to EXTERNEL_SD and file should be located in there. Go Ahead and press Blur_Version.0.6.25.XT926.Verizon.en from the SD Card, the next screen will prompt for a swipe to Confirm Flash. Go ahead and swipe. Screen will read “Successful” Go ahead and REBOOT SYSTEM, device will Reboot. If Android Upgrading appears that is normal. Go ahead and enter the (1111) code to unlock the phone dialer. Open App Drawer> Select Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, make sure that Root is restored, go into SuperUser> swipe the screen to the left> tap to check for updates > should have the latest Binaries. Go into SuperSU and click continue or “normal” depending on which version of SuperSU that you are using. Go into App Drawer> RootChecker and verify that all is Green.
24. Next step is to install JB 4.1.1, this is a similar process as performed with the 0.7.2 Security update. Go into App Drawer> find Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper and select> the button that reads Temp. un-root (keeps backup), after this has been selected your device is temporarily unrooted as it hides SuperUser secretly in the system settings. To make sure that you are not rooted and prepared to take the JB 4.1.1 update. Go into the App Drawer> into Root Checker, under Root click Verify Root> Everything should be Red (it is Red because Voodoo’s OTA Rootkeeper created a hidden copy of SuperUser. Slide the screen to the right to BusyBox inside Root Checker and this time click Verify BusyBox> it should be Green (Phone is still Rooted even with the Hidden SuperUser.)
25. Now, it is time to install JB 4.1.1, as before. Begin by Rebooting your device, HOLD [Power + Volume Down (-)] at the same time, continue to HOLD through the screen print snapshot, release WHEN SCREEN IS BLACK or BLANK.
26. Should see the Motorola “Red Dot” appear on the screen, the next screen is SAFESTRAP, should be a “Funky looking Robot Character in the middle of the screen” the bottom right corner there is a bottom to Continue and bottom left corner there is a button for RECOVERY. Push for RECOVERY, This screen appears and disappears quickly, so Hit the Recovery button as soon as possible
27. Inside Recovery LOOK to the Upper RIGHT CORNER button that says, “Install” press the button, make sure the “Use External SD” is selected upper left corner and look for the 9.1.41. Jelly Bean Android Version 4.1.1 .zip (should be at the bottom of the scroll if it was pasted to the External SD card correctly.) If you have trouble finding this PRESS the folder that reads (Up A Level), scroll to EXTERNEL_SD and file should be located in there. Go Ahead and press 9.1.41. Jelly Bean Android Version 4.1.1 from the SD Card, the next screen will prompt for a swipe to Confirm Flash. Go ahead and swipe. Screen will read “Successful” Go ahead and REBOOT SYSTEM, device will Reboot. If Android Upgrading appears that is normal. Go ahead and enter the (1111) code to unlock the phone dialer. Open App Drawer> Select Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, make sure that Root is restored, go into SuperUser> swipe the screen to the left> tap to check for updates > should have the latest Binaries. Go into SuperSU and click continue or “normal” depending on which version of SuperSU that you are using. Make sure that BusyBox is installed either install forms are find. Next go into App Drawer> RootChecker and verify that all is Green.
28. If everything Checks out make sure to get all your apps and settings correct the way that you want them. Once this has been completed. It is recommended, to Reboot your device, [Power + Volume Button Down (-)]
29. After the Red Motorola “M” ball or circle appears, the next screen is Safestrap, the right displays “continue” and the left displays “recovery”> go into recovery> select Backup> Click the button that says “Set Backup Name” name it “CLEAN_JB4.1.1_SUCCESSFUL_INSTALL” (if your device crashes later on or you have problems with it, you can always restore your device to this Clean setting.)> Swipe to Back Up and hit the House button lower left corner to exit> Reboot. Once into Safestrap Recovery there are several buttons, I also ways recommend making a Backup of your progress just in case something doesn’t work properly and a restore to a clean state is needed. Therefore hit “Backup”, I recommend selecting the “Set Backup Name” and typing in something like “Clean Slate”, then Swipe the slider at the bottom, indicated by “Swipe to Back Up”. After Backup has been created go back the Main Screen for SafeStrap.
30. In the upper Right Corner, And there you have it. I should note, that if you have difficulty removing the DROID RAZR HD UTILITY file from your desktop, a nice registry cleaner, will detach it for you, so it can be removed.
Please Feel Free to Thank All of The Developers for Their Tireless Effort.
With your new Rooted device make sure to “FREEZE THE BLOATWARE” from this link.
Make sure to take advantage of the Entitlement_Hack from this link.
There is an update available for SafeStrap, the update will change the current version in step 20 from 3.05.17 to version 3.12(312).
To proceede with this Update go to Safestrap | Hash-of-Codes. Scroll down to the New RAZR-HD/Atrix-HD = Version/Date 2013-01-04 v3.12 and click on the download link here for direct download.
1. With the downloaded link to your computer, mostly likely defaulted location is "downloads" on Windows.
2. Plug your device via USB to your computer, locate the file RAZR-HD-Safestrap-3.12.apk , either "cut" or "copy" the apk or app.
3. Open your external SD Card and paste to save it to your SD card (do not put in a folder)
4. Once file is saved go into the "files" app> SD card> find RAZR-HD-Safestrap-v3.12 and press it and install the apk or app.
5. Once the updated Safestrap has been installed go into your app drawer> and find Safestrap and install, if it is not already installed.
If the download takes places through your device, find the default location where "downloads" are downloaded to and follow steps 4&5 and you will be in excellent shape.
SMS Backup & Restore
Call Logs Backup & Restore
MattLGroffs 1.10 Windows
Dev-Host - TMMv10.10LvlsEnglish.part1.rar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
Remove Bloatware XDA
xda-developers - View Single Post - [REF] Safe applications to freeze to remove Verizon/Motorola bloat
Entitlement Hack for RAZR HD/MAXX HD XT926 Wireless & USB, ICS & JB
OTA and JB 4.1.1
Unable to download system update - Page 2 - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD Help [XT926] - DroidRzr.com
OTA 9.1.41.XT926.Verizon.en.US JB 4.1.1 - Droid Razr HD [CDMA/Verizon] Downloads - DroidRzr.com