DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: {ROM RELEASE BETA} PEv6 2.3.3

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer

{ROM RELEASE BETA} PEv6 2.3.3

Please bear with me I'm posting this from my phone on the way to work. Please READ all of the following it's very important information. We will post all credits tonight.

While most who are on this version as of now say it's one of the most solid builds, the reason this is a beta is because there were a few more things that needed to be added (wanted to add) before an initial release and of course as you know, 2.3.4 was released by google. To answer many of your questions the final should be 2.3.4 (hint hint).

Now about the rom. Ok first the libaudio is built from source (credit to the cmcrew), which allows dsp manager to work. This does break a couple of the things such as the bluetooth lady's voice (which says speak now) if you do not use dsp and would like the bluetooth voice to work, we can post an update.zip which will allow this to happen. Be aware, though, that the bluetooth lady fix breaks dsp manager.

2nd, there is an option in the general section which allows you to switch to a preset set of values for lowmemory task killer. The stock values are froyo values but most have reported these are working well with the othe tweaks to help with the infamous apps being killed in gb. If you uncheck the box it will switch number to a lower set of values, which was tested (credit to pete for help with these values). There is also an option in the performance section for purge assest (credit and thanks to the cm team) if you are running low on ram then you can use this option to free some ram up but it may effect the scrolling quality in some apps. I have not noticed a difference while testing in the quality of scrolling.

KERNELS:
    the stock kernel is PE 1ghz lv (default gov is interactive but it does have the smartcpu gov if you'd like that) If the lv does not work below is a 1.1 sv pe kernel. IMPORTANT: As of now there are only a few kernels which have the mods needed to allow usb to mount in this rom. This is due to native tethering being fixed (credit to cvpcs). The pe kernels work, petes v2 kernels, deprimed kernels and corcor has been tweaking his smartmod kernels for p.e (I will post the link when I get home for these). Other kernels will work but you won't be able to mount your sdcard unless in recovery if you use other kernels. Also the rom supports kernels that use zram for compcache not rzSwap. I'll look into making it work with both before a final release.

Overclocking: overclocking no longer needs a reboot to change settings. If you change the speed or governor it now changes instantly so you do not need to reboot.

While there are not a lot of new features in this version we tried hard to inscrease the stability and performance from v5. 14mb to 18mb or space in the system was saved (should help with the themers who them apps which was an issue in v5). There were many many changes behind the scenes to try and improve upon everything that was learned from the inital pe gb release.

One more thing: After you setup your phone and everything syncs, please reboot. I ask this because for some reason every once and a while after first installing, when you make a call you can't hear anything. A reboot will fix this permanently. I'm not sure why this occurs but this is happening in a few other roms as well and it being looked into -- so if this happens just reboot and it won't happen again.

ROM DOWNLOAD
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/test/gb233/PEv6r.zip

Kernels
    PE 1.0 lv (default) (default gov interactive but does include smartcpu) credit to corcorfor help with that
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1ghzLV.zip
    PE 1.1 ghz lv
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1.1LV.zip
    PE 1.1ghz sv
    http://moddedlogic.com/pe/final/GB/kernel/PE1.1SV.zip

Corcor Elite Series kernels beta v2
    1.05ghz lv smartmod (pe request speed)
    http://db.tt/Wu51myA
    Last edited by actngrezy; 05-11-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

downloading now

PE roms have DEFINITELY been the most stable on my OG!
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    First....
    Starting D/L now.

Thanks PE team

*Edit- not first.... story of my life :*(
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Last edited by jding13; 05-11-2011 at 08:15 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Thanks grezy. Gonna wait to hear the feedback from everyone else before trying out. Keep up the good work though!

Quote Originally Posted by jding13 View Post
    First....
    Starting D/L now.

Thanks PE team

*Edit- not first.... story of my life :*(
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    ^lol
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Just so everyone knows, PE v6 2.3.3 beta has all of the features that v5 did, but of course, it's the next GB build and it adds a lot of performance optimizations that are noted in actngrezy's OP.

This build has been crazy stable, fast and smooth for me and I haven't experienced any of the GB low memory issues I had on previous GB builds. For me, the stock Froyo memory values (which are set as the default in v6 2.3.3) are far better than the lower values you get when you uncheck the box (in Settings>Elite Settings>General) -- unchecking the box made things laggy and choppy for me, but YMMV. I also have the "Allow purging of assets" (in Settings>Elite Settings>Performance>Performance Optimizations) checked.

I came from PEv5.0.2 and wiped all partitions and Dalvik cache and started clean for this build, but before I did that, I used Titanium Backup to install the busybox preferred by TiBu, then made a TiBu backup of everything. After that, I did my nandroid backup and loaded the ROM. After I booted back up, I once again used TiBu to install busybox and I was able to do a TiBu restore of all apps and data and the data for system items in green (following the steps in my guide) and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Again, this may not hold true if you're coming from any ROM other than PE v5.0.2 and it's possible you won't have the same experience I did in any event.

One more thing: If you absolutely feel you have to use one of the kernels not listed in the OP as having the USB fix, you won't be able to mount your USB storage using the pulldown panel, but I found in testing that you CAN do so using Dual Mount SD Share Widget (which I ALWAYS use anyway, because it allows my Droid to continue to use everything on the sdcard while I'm exploring all of the sdcard contents on my PC).
    Last edited by GirLuvsDroid; 05-11-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    This rom is working really well for me. I do request the update zip that will restore the plastic lady's voice to the bluetooth voice control. I haven't had a need for dsp, but I do use BT quite a bit in the car.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Sweet Jesus it's here. Thanks!
  8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by gsDroid View Post
    This rom is working really well for me. I do request the update zip that will restore the plastic lady's voice to the bluetooth voice control. I haven't had a need for dsp, but I do use BT quite a bit in the car.
    I chose the bluetooth lady over DSP Manager, as well. It's simply a matter of switching out the libaudiopolicy.so file in /system/lib. If you want to get yours working before actngrezy has a chance to post the update zip, you can extract the file in the attached zip labeled libaudiopolicy.so.zip (this is NOT an update zip) and, using Root Explorer, replace the file of the same name in /system/lib.

UPDATE: At actngrezy's request, I'm also attaching an update zip (the one labeled BlueToothLadyUpdateZip) that will do the same thing -- install from recovery without wiping. And, whichever method you use, it's always a good idea to make a backup first!!

[EDIT: FILES PULLED -- explanation in post #23 below]
    Last edited by GirLuvsDroid; 05-11-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I don't post on twitz
    Phone
    Motorola droid 1
    I might not switch to it yet, I'm speeding along with liquid. HOWEVER I have been wanting someone to make a reboot unneccesary after changing clocking. THANK YOU!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    GLD - Thanks for the libaudiopolicy.so.zip. I was able to extract the file with Windows Explorer. I initially tried 7zip and received an 'unsupported compression method' error and it wouldn't extract. That shocked me since 7zip seemed to support everything.

Is there any way to benchmark v6 compared to v4.2? I don't see any performance improvements over v4.2, and am still concerned that froyo still seems to be the best core for original Droids. Everything just worked perfectly for me on v4.2. I love that the PE team is trying to make GB work as well as Froyo and appreciate all their hard work as well as testers like you who put these roms through their paces. Your tutorials and tips have been useful and important to the success of the PE roms.
Page 1 of 55 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Links