DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: new SD card

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

new SD card

i think i'm getting a new SD card within the next 92 minutes. is there any benefit to partitioning it? i see the option in CW recovery but don't really know what it's for.

i know i have to format it, is there any other things to do to it that will make it spectacular?

-J

3. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by House_of_Snipes View Post
    i think i'm getting a new SD card within the next 92 minutes. is there any benefit to partitioning it? i see the option in CW recovery but don't really know what it's for.

i know i have to format it, is there any other things to do to it that will make it spectacular?

-J
    No, there's no reason to partition it with Froyo. The partition was necessary for Apps2SD prior to Froyo, but Froyo does it natively. If you partition it, you'll just lose that amount of available space on your card.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    thanks for the clarification, friend!

-J
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    in northern cali, where the desert and the mountains meet
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by GirLuvsDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by House_of_Snipes View Post

-J
    No, there's no reason to partition it with Froyo. The partition was necessary for Apps2SD prior to Froyo, but Froyo does it natively. If you partition it, you'll just lose that amount of available space on your card.
    OK, How do I un- partition it if I have already partitioned it? Do I have to reformat and lose everything on the card to get that space back?
    Exclusive theme tester for Eiker83
    Check out Intensity, on Project Elite and Sourcery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10767765...237?feat=email

The hottest theme is INTENSITY...IT ROCKS!!!

Picasa link for Emerald Metal coming soon
  6. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewing View Post
    OK, How do I un- partition it if I have already partitioned it? Do I have to reformat and lose everything on the card to get that space back?
    Even if you format it (which is no big deal, because you can just copy everything to your PC and then copy it back when you're done), that won't get your partition back. There are some programs out there that claim that they can get your partition back, but they seemed pretty complicated when I looked into them a while back. By the way, I copy all the contents of my SD card to the PC (as a backup in case my card corrupts) and format my card about once a month. It helps keep things snappy.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    in northern cali, where the desert and the mountains meet
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    so once it is partitioned that is it huh? darn...
    Exclusive theme tester for Eiker83
    Check out Intensity, on Project Elite and Sourcery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10767765...237?feat=email

The hottest theme is INTENSITY...IT ROCKS!!!

Picasa link for Emerald Metal coming soon
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Home
    Edited: found link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

Why not experiment and do all the formatting in recovery with everything backed up on the ol PC.
    Under the partitions menu you can format several areas and I thought sd card was one, and sdext might be another.
    Also, over at xda is a thread and somewhat posted the link somewhere in the custom rom forum here but can't remember which...sorry.
    Anyways it uses the sdext partition in a pretty cool way, perhaps also better than how froyo does it.
    You can link to and un link from the apps on the sdext which leads me to believe that perhaps you just unlink before doing a wipe and clear and reset when flashing new ROM and then rather than installing them again you just relink the ones you want.
    Again though just read about it yesterday, but sounded cool enough to maybe go through the whole format partition hassle.
    He also provides name of a free partition program that is supposed to be easier to use than most. Perhaps if the recovery reformat does not work you could use that to de partition or departheid.
    I will see if I can find a link, so look back here to see if I edit this post to add the link.
    Or search the custom rom forum and use the following words:
    xda
    sd card
    partition
    link
    apps2sd
    if unsuccessful change last to app2sd
    Post if you find it so I know to stop my hunt.
    Last edited by danceswithbongs; 01-23-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: found link
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by danceswithbongs View Post
    Edited: found link

[App] Link2SD - xda-developers

Why not experiment and do all the formatting in recovery with everything backed up on the ol PC.
    Under the partitions menu you can format several areas and I thought sd card was one, and sdext might be another.
    Also, over at xda is a thread and somewhat posted the link somewhere in the custom rom forum here but can't remember which...sorry.
    Anyways it uses the sdext partition in a pretty cool way, perhaps also better than how froyo does it.
    You can link to and un link from the apps on the sdext which leads me to believe that perhaps you just unlink before doing a wipe and clear and reset when flashing new ROM and then rather than installing them again you just relink the ones you want.
    Again though just read about it yesterday, but sounded cool enough to maybe go through the whole format partition hassle.
    He also provides name of a free partition program that is supposed to be easier to use than most. Perhaps if the recovery reformat does not work you could use that to de partition or departheid.
    I will see if I can find a link, so look back here to see if I edit this post to add the link.
    Or search the custom rom forum and use the following words:
    xda
    sd card
    partition
    link
    apps2sd
    if unsuccessful change last to app2sd
    Post if you find it so I know to stop my hunt.
    I was actually looking into making a 512mb partitiong myself and then having apps stored on tha t but its a little different then just for apps2sd. It mainly does only save apps to your sdcard (I still have some research as far as scripts that need to be ran/created and what not but from what Ive seen so far it def looks like it may speed the rom up. It will actualy copy the whole data app and data app private. Ill look into it more it was kind of point on halt with the 4.2 release and soem other things that are currently being worked on. I do want to check ino this more though when i have time and see if maybe theres a way to support poeple who have it partitioned. well see though i have a few priorities that need to be done before this though

Looking for devices to expand p.e.
    Let me know if you have one for sale or to donate.
  10. -iD
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

you don't have to reformat...

you can use this app: MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (google it) to create, resize and manage partitions on the fly. Back up first for safety, but it worked fine on my SD card with no data loss.
    GNex, stock (but that won't last long i'm sure!)
    Finally a worthy successor to the D1

Links