DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Phone not booting... recovery not available?

Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Phone not booting... recovery not available?

Hello all,

Well I'm not sure if this is the right place to go, but I figured I'd start here. I have a Droid 1 with Project Elite 4.1 installed using Slayher's 1.6 1100MHz LV kernel and it has been running fine for a while. However, I just recently tried to reboot my phone through the power button like I've done so many times, but instead of the phone rebooting like normal, it seems to be stuck at loading after the Motorola logo. I'll get the Motorola logo for like 10-15 seconds and then it will go to a blank screen and sit there endlessly until i pull out the battery.

Now I thought the obvious choice was to boot into recovery and restore an old backup, but of course for some reasons it won't even boot into it. I'll hold the "X" button while the Motorola logo is showing, but instead of the recovery screen it just goes to that same blank screen. I took the battery out and let it sit for a while and tried it again with no luck. It looks like I'm kind of screwed... not sure what to do now. I have no idea why this would have happened.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get on the matter. I'd hate to have to buy a new phone right now...

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    At this point your only option is to SBF the phone. I take it your extensive research before you rooted didn't include this all-important facet of hacking a Motorola phone. That's unfortunate.

You have two choices. One guaranteed to work, the other a possibility, but if the other fails the first one is possible. The guaranteed to work one will return your phone to a stock state and you will have to start over.
  4. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    reflash your recovery then flash PE v4.1 again

EDIT: Be sure to WIPE DATA/CACHE before flashing again. It's VERY important.
    Last edited by cereal killer; 01-20-2011 at 11:55 PM.
  5. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    I wanted to add that I've been in this exact same position when I was messing with different recoveries. I lost ALL my back-ups, phone wouldn't boot it was a mess : )
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Yes, I'd recommend flashing SPRecovery via SBF before wiping the phone totally back to stock, like CK advocates -- but I wanted to make sure you knew what might be in store if it didn't work.
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks guys for your fast responses, that's why I love this place so much

It has been so long since I rooted the phone that I forgot all about the SBF... duh.

Believe it or not, I did the process of removing the battery, holding the "X" button and replacing the battery and turning the power on in order for the Recovery to show up. I did not know about that trick I guess you could call it. Anyways, once I got into recovery I was able to restore my nandroid backup that I created when I installed Project Elite 4.1. Thankfully that worked and the only things i lost were the new things after that nandroid backup was made.

Surprisingly enough it seems that my phone is a lot more responsive now for some reason. I don't understand why that would be considering i just did a clean wipe when I installed PE 4.1 like 4 days ago. Regardless, I appreciate the responses as I said and especially how fast they were. I was just about to go to bed and wanted to reboot my phone beforehand, and then was faced with this issue which of course I needed to figure out before going to sleep, haha.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    You wiped the cache. You should clear your Dalvik every two weeks if possible.

Links