DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bugs in Project Elite v4

1. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by burntorangefan View Post
    Dang, beat me to it...I don't get to answer many questions and when I finally get the chance....BOOM, from who else, GLD!
    Awwww, sorry to steal your thunder, B.O.F.!! You think you'll be able to recover from that?
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    CodenameAndroid/Leankernel
    ASUS Transformer Prime
    Rooted/unlocked and overclocked
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GirLuvsDroid View Post
    Dang, beat me to it...I don't get to answer many questions and when I finally get the chance....BOOM, from who else, GLD!
    Awwww, sorry to steal your thunder, B.O.F.!! You think you'll be able to recover from that?
    I doubt it... How can one compare a crow to a peacock? Maybe that's the wrong bird...a cockatiel, zebra finch? Dang, you know what I mean...
    Last edited by burntorangefan; 01-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Phone: CDMA Galaxy Nexus
    Tablet: iPad 2
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    found a bug after a few days that may be a deal breaker...

my camera doesn't work. FXcamera, PhotoAF, or the stock camera. anything camera related does not work...

EDIT: nyet, a reboot fixed it. weird though... it was working yesterday.
    Last edited by House_of_Snipes; 01-04-2011 at 01:03 AM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid D1 / Xoom

Bug report

First time rooter, longtime droid user.

PEv4 was the first ROM I've ever put on my OG droid, and dare say, I'm impressed. I would like to relay a couple of bugs that I've found sofar after using it for a couple of days...

1.) I think someone else mentioned this, but the battery acts a bit erratic... it does make quite a big leap from 50% to 20% all of a sudden.

2.) The market app has failed me more often than ever... when looking at my app updates, it will at times only show me a list of my purchased apps. I have to clear cache/data in order for it to work again. I have to do this every day or so.

3.) I've noticed that while charging overnight, my phone has rebooted itself out of the blue for unknown reasons. The way I find out is that some apps that I have to start up manually aren't running any longer, and one of my widgets is screwed up. I can only assume it has rebooted. (I don't have any task killers running).

4.) Apps like "SystemPanel" no longer correctly show the CPU clock and usage. Is this because of the Slayher kernel?

5.) When going under Phone Settings->About Phone->Battery Use, it used to show a great lineup of all apps consuming my precious juice... it no longer does this, and only shows display, cell standby and phone idle. The SpareParts battery app is a bit hokey.

Couple other usability/rooting questions (if you guys are so kind to answer!?) (:

1.) There's an option for "Check for recovery image". How would you make a recovery image that this PEv4 will acknowledge? The only way I know of making one is with ROM Manager.

2.) I noticed alot of folks in the forums having problems loading various things, and get stuck in a "reboot loop". How do you recover from this?

3.) ROM Manager makes an image of your current ROM... If you have to recover and don't have the Clockworkmod recovery loaded, how would you be able to restore from something like this? Is it possible to convert this into some kind of update.zip, so that if I do run into a bind, I can just reload from the update.zip?

Thanks in advance... and many thanks to Actngrezy for the awesome ROM... you do great work!

-VNVJeep
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvjeep View Post
    First time rooter, longtime droid user.

PEv4 was the first ROM I've ever put on my OG droid, and dare say, I'm impressed. I would like to relay a couple of bugs that I've found sofar after using it for a couple of days...

1.) I think someone else mentioned this, but the battery acts a bit erratic... it does make quite a big leap from 50% to 20% all of a sudden.

2.) The market app has failed me more often than ever... when looking at my app updates, it will at times only show me a list of my purchased apps. I have to clear cache/data in order for it to work again. I have to do this every day or so.

3.) I've noticed that while charging overnight, my phone has rebooted itself out of the blue for unknown reasons. The way I find out is that some apps that I have to start up manually aren't running any longer, and one of my widgets is screwed up. I can only assume it has rebooted. (I don't have any task killers running).

4.) Apps like "SystemPanel" no longer correctly show the CPU clock and usage. Is this because of the Slayher kernel?

5.) When going under Phone Settings->About Phone->Battery Use, it used to show a great lineup of all apps consuming my precious juice... it no longer does this, and only shows display, cell standby and phone idle. The SpareParts battery app is a bit hokey.

Couple other usability/rooting questions (if you guys are so kind to answer!?) (:

1.) There's an option for "Check for recovery image". How would you make a recovery image that this PEv4 will acknowledge? The only way I know of making one is with ROM Manager.

2.) I noticed alot of folks in the forums having problems loading various things, and get stuck in a "reboot loop". How do you recover from this?

3.) ROM Manager makes an image of your current ROM... If you have to recover and don't have the Clockworkmod recovery loaded, how would you be able to restore from something like this? Is it possible to convert this into some kind of update.zip, so that if I do run into a bind, I can just reload from the update.zip?

Thanks in advance... and many thanks to Actngrezy for the awesome ROM... you do great work!

-VNVJeep
    VNV, can you elaborate a bit on your setup? Did you wipe everything before you loaded the ROM? Have you added one of the themes? Are you running the stock kernel? If so, what speed have you set the Max frequency? A little more elaboration may help you with the issues above. There are too many variables that could be causing you issues with your first ROM. With respect to the general questions:

1. I haven't used the Recovery image from PE, so I can't say. However, you can use Clockwork to backup your current setup. Or notice in Clockwork you have an option to flash an alternate recovery. If you flash SPRecovery, you'll also be able to do a nandroid backup. These recoveries are what save you from question #2.

2. If your phone ends up in a random bootloop, just pull the battery to kill the phone. Reboot into recovery by putting your battery back in, opening the phone and pressing and holding X and then pushing the power on button. From recovery you can Restore your backups. No problem there.

3. See #2 above. You need to always have some type of recovery on your phone, whether it's clockwork or spr.
  6. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Bionic, G Nex and T Prime
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Another option for question 3.... let's say you do not have an SPR Backup. Just load the phone stock, get ROM Manager downloaded again, flash to CW, reboot into recovery and then install your CW backup.
    Choices always were a problem for you
    What you need is someone stong to guide you, like me.
    Trust In Me now don't you judge or question
    You are broken now but faith can heal you
    Just do everything I tell you to do
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid D1 / Xoom

VNV, can you elaborate a bit on your setup? Did you wipe everything before you loaded the ROM? Have you added one of the themes? Are you running the stock kernel? If so, what speed have you set the Max frequency? A little more elaboration may help you with the issues above. There are too many variables that could be causing you issues with your first ROM. With respect to the general questions:

1. I haven't used the Recovery image from PE, so I can't say. However, you can use Clockwork to backup your current setup. Or notice in Clockwork you have an option to flash an alternate recovery. If you flash SPRecovery, you'll also be able to do a nandroid backup. These recoveries are what save you from question #2.

2. If your phone ends up in a random bootloop, just pull the battery to kill the phone. Reboot into recovery by putting your battery back in, opening the phone and pressing and holding X and then pushing the power on button. From recovery you can Restore your backups. No problem there.

3. See #2 above. You need to always have some type of recovery on your phone, whether it's clockwork or spr.

It was a pretty clean and painless process. After rooting 2.2.1 stock, I followed this guide using titanium backup and Clockworkmod: (Project Elite)... which involved a wipe of the system and boot partition. I have not installed any themes... it's the stock theme that comes with v4. I'm also running the stock kernel and it's maxed out at 1100 Mhz.

Thanks for the further explanations about the recovery stuff... i guess you have to learn by doing. ...and sorry for going offtopic here. It's hard when there's so much to learn yet! heh.

Thanks,
    VNVJeep
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid D1 / Xoom

Not a bug, but an annoyance... an extreme annoyance.

One more thing... This isn't a bug perse, but an extreme annoyance for me. This annoyance is also present in the 2.x stock... so i was wondering if it's within Actngrezy's power to actually fix google's shortcomings? Perhaps this should be a wishlist item instead... So here goes:

If you reply to an email (using the standard messaging component hooked up to an exchange account, not gmail), it inserts a:

email user name <email address> wrote:
    blah blah blah quoted reply message text

*However*, when you forward a message, it never inserts any kind of header information above the forwarded email... It basically contains your message text, and directly below it, the forwarded message text. When someone else reads this forwarded message, they have absolutely no idea who originated the actual email... and have to specifically include that in your email... ie: "Oh btw, this email below came from soandso@whatever.com".

Very, very annoying. I hope others agree. Each update (since 2.0), I have been hoping google would have fixed this... but no. Ugh.

Thanks for letting me rant,
    VNVJeep
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvjeep View Post

It was a pretty clean and painless process. After rooting 2.2.1 stock, I followed this guide using titanium backup and Clockworkmod: (Project Elite)... which involved a wipe of the system and boot partition. I have not installed any themes... it's the stock theme that comes with v4. I'm also running the stock kernel and it's maxed out at 1100 Mhz.

Thanks for the further explanations about the recovery stuff... i guess you have to learn by doing. ...and sorry for going offtopic here. It's hard when there's so much to learn yet! heh.

Thanks,
    VNVJeep
    Okay, then here are my thoughts.

1. Erratic battery: I've had this happen too sometimes, but I can never seem to pin down why it happens. My hunch is that it's not the ROM, but how your phone communicates its current battery level - although that could be wrong.

2. I haven't had a single Market issue, so I'd reflash the ROM all over again since you're not too invested yet in it. See if that helps, because wiping data and cache from applications normally helps fix what ails it.

3. Random reboots are virtually always a symptom of using the wrong kernel. By "wrong" kernel, either the frequency is too high or the voltage is too low. Try dialing back the kernel from 1100 down to, say, 800 and try that for a day or so...If your phone can handle that okay, then kick it up again. If you find that you still get force closes or random reboots, it's probably the voltage. By that I mean that you need to probably put MORE juice into it. Almost everyone on DF uses the least amount possible to power their phones. Which is great because it saves the most battery, but won't always ensure the proper processes are switched internally. It's a little too much to type, but suffice to say, you want to strike a balance that enables you to get the most performance and battery life that YOUR phone can handle. All Droids are different so you'll have to flash around and try a bunch of different ones. Some people swear by Chevy, I swear by slayher.

4. Don't use the app, don't know.

5. Seems more like an observation or matter of opinion than a fault of the ROM.

Okay, I'm DONE. My fingers hurt.
    Last edited by burntorangefan; 01-05-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links