DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why The Verizon iPhone Rumors are True—CDMA iPhone Due in January

1. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Apple's Verizon iPhone Prototype is Ready for January, Report says

Daniel Ionescu, PC World
    Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

The mythical Verizon iPhone could become reality this January, as Apple is reportedly finishing the prototype for a CDMA smartphone. The news comes from Daring Fireball's ever-scoopful John Gruber, who says that N92 is the codename for an engineering verification test unit of a Verizon-bound iPhone 4.
    In the wake of the recent batch of countless Verizon iPhone rumors, Gruber, usually reliable for Apple-related scoops, speculates that the Cupertino company will unveil its CDMA version of the iPhone 4 at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2011, with sales starting at the end of the month.

Sources told Gruber that the Verizon iPhone prototype is not in production yet, but it is still at engineering verification testing (EVT) stage, a step before the device verification test (DVT) status (like the lost iPhone 4 prototype) -- the stage prior to mass production of the device. Gruber says the EVT stage is "right about where you'd think it would be if it were scheduled to go on sale in January."

Yes to CDMA, But Verizon-Only? Maybe

The CDMA version of the iPhone 4 is not necessarily Verizon-bound, Gruber says. In the U.S. it could be released on Sprint as well, and it would also work with Canadian CDMA carriers.

There are more than 164 million CDMA subscribers in North America, more than 36 million in Latin America, and more than 300 million in the Asia-Pacific region, according to figures from the CDMA Development Group. Instead of targeting only the U.S. Verizon subscribers, Apple could target the huge CDMA market in Asia, whereas Latin America's CDMA subscriber figures are notWould you go for a Sprint iPhone 4, or is it a deal breaker?

Apple's Verizon iPhone Prototype is Ready for January, Report says - PCWorld
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I, unfortunately, will switch if it does happen. Sorry guys.
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoing View Post
    I'm not switching, but my wife is pretty hyped for a new phone.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hoing View Post
    Whatever floats your boat homie!

Competition is good for our industry. I'm just glad that the iPhone raised the bar so I could have the best phone I have ever had. Just don't slow down my super fast network, that's all I ask.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    I personally think this is great. Don't get me wrong, I love my Droid, but the iPhone is a great phone. I just think it's more for novice users. It's really clear and cut to the chase. While the android phones have so many ways of doing simple things. Not saying that's a bad thing, but for someone not used to it-its kinda strange. I made my sister switch from her BB to an Eris. She loved it at first but got frustrated for not nothing how to do everything. (I think knowing the fact that it could do a lot and looking at my Droid angered her too..) She went back to the BB and I know once this iPhone hits Verizon she gonna go crazy...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola a855
    It seems like if this is true, Verizon is sure setting themselves up to be the mega carrier: They have Blackberrys, the best Droids, pretty soon the EVO-like phone, and now the iPhone? Why would anybody use a different carrier?

I hope once the whole world switches to Verizon they'll still do free mobile to mobile.
    Verizon Moto Droid | Android 2.2 | Lots of ROM switching lately.

Wordfeud: Schteef
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.2 build frg22d
    Here, Here! I agree, I switched from my BB storm 2 to a droid one and rooted. I always wanted an Iphone but I can do more with my google sponsored phone then the iphone. The only thing that could sway me is VTC (face time) over the network versus Wifi. And I hear that HTC is going to have it for verizon in the next 6 months or so. has anyone else heard that?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola a855
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.agrona View Post
    Here, Here! I agree, I switched from my BB storm 2 to a droid one and rooted. I always wanted an Iphone but I can do more with my google sponsored phone then the iphone. The only thing that could sway me is VTC (face time) over the network versus Wifi. And I hear that HTC is going to have it for verizon in the next 6 months or so. has anyone else heard that?
    There was a thread with pics about an Evo-like phone coming to Verizon... if this is true, I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet, this'll be one definitely worth waiting for. I think it'll even make me pass on the R2 Special Edition Droid 2. Those pics of it look pretty damn slick though.
    Verizon Moto Droid | Android 2.2 | Lots of ROM switching lately.

Wordfeud: Schteef
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Links