DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tethering...I know its a beat up subject...but I gotta share

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid

Talking Tethering...I know its a beat up subject...but I gotta share

Ok just spent almost an hour on the phone arguing with CS that my phone updates are free...but the Microsoft OS updates on my netbook cost me data. She didnt get the point I was trying to make. But I said 4 times that if I could tether my phone to my netbook with my unlimited data this wouldnt even be an issue. She said "unfortunatly sir the droid cant tether" ..... I actually made her say 5 times...the droid CANT tether...and that my netbook is on a different network and if I have MS updates turned on that goes against my data. But because my droid is unlimited... motorola can send me an update every 2 mins forever and that wont matter. Now..I KNOW moto isnt doing that. But I feel this is unfair and just beeging me to tether and say eff you. You may record this call for CS purposes? good cause I noted exactly when this call took place. Just try charging me for raping your "unlimited data" on my phone.

/end soapbox haha

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Ok, what was the point of calling to argue with a CS rep that you could tether. Its really ridiculous to plan to "rape" the unlimited network just because. That will only lead to us ending up like at&t's new data plan ( http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ATampT-caps-phone-data-usage-apf-499602515.html?x=0&.v=7 )that is coming, removing the unlimited package. It's people who really went all out that caused this move.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    exactly...the droid can not tether....i like that.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.02
    You've never read the contracts you signed, have you?
    ----
    the mod who changed my sig, which followed all the rules.

6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Pdanet and easytether alloow you to download and usecure apps. I would not recommend using tethering to download torrents. I would recommend tethering sparingly and go to sites that you can go to on your droid.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member

Re: Tethering...I know its a beat up subject...but I gotta share

I am reading this on my droid and trying to make sense of it all. What was your point calling VZW and the point for posting here? Yes we know we can tether but that is not officially recognized by VZW.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I trust that any Droid owner who tethers is not naive enough to believe that VZW does not realize that we have the ability and therefore, are actually, using our Droid for tethering.

At this point, we are fortunate that the carriers are not making an issue which would mean a rate increase.

The old adage "let sleeping dogs lie" seems an appropriate approach.

Mike
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I only teather when needed and when I do it is only for short periods of time. I work remote so there are times that I am out and have to get into my employer to handle things. I have no choice to teather. I bet I teather about 4 or 5 times a month.

However, why should I have to pay an extra $30 a month to teather, when I do I don't even get close to the 5 gigs? It just seems unfair.

However I can see VZW point when people teather they get one and download the news pirated DVD movies.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    OP, you're kidding us right? Oh man...

Another case of the ten percenters who will screww the rest of us who would knowingly tether without drawing attention to ourselves.

So what large volume of data was worth it to you to get everyone off of a unlimited data plan? Was it worth it?

If you tether, do it smartly, and you certainly don't go calling VZ about it. Jeez ....

And yes, we may or may not get it in 2.2, and we may lose the unlimited plan, but I think that is not the point everyone is going to make to you.
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    tethering will cause us all (vzw, tmo, sprint) to have a plan similar to what AT&T has gone too - like mwhartman said, it's not like they don't know we're doing it, even if sparingly

the ten percenters will just cause the carriers to act faster on getting those changes in place

edit: to further lay out my thoughts, they have no way of regulating it easily, and few will pay +$30 for it, so i think we'll all end up on a plan like AT&T's because then we're just paying for the data we actually use (to a point), whether we tether or not
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links