DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: The ENEMY (I think!) Heard of Conficker?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID W/OTA 2.2 :<)

The ENEMY (I think!) Heard of Conficker?

I, being a consumer, and relying on techie 'good guys' to keep me abreast of, and protected (via security patches, updates, etc) from attacks, was amazed after reading this article. My take is that the 'Cabal' has been outdone, at least on the most visible level, and that the writers have succeeded.
    The first I saw was HERE in a Gizmodo article, that led me to THIS article in the Atlantic.

Just interesting and a bit worrisome!

Just found this related site: SHADOWSERVER
    Last edited by snappingfish; 05-14-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: addition

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post
    I, being a consumer, and relying on techie 'good guys' to keep me abreast of, and protected (via security patches, updates, etc) from attacks, was amazed after reading this article. My take is that the 'Cabal' has been outdone, at least on the most visible level, and that the writers have succeeded.
    The first I saw was HERE in a Gizmodo article, that led me to THIS article in the Atlantic.

I got a Mac. The Windows I run on the Mac is Vista and I have virus protection. I'm not worried about this, but it is a good read. Thanks for the heads up.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID W/OTA 2.2 :<)

Just looked on Macworld

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snappingfish View Post

I got a Mac. The Windows I run on the Mac is Vista and I have virus protection. I'm not worried about this, but it is a good read. Thanks for the heads up.
    You're right. All the da-daa about Mac's being bulletproof when it comes to in-the-wild worms/viruses are embellished. But the Conficker seems to be one bug that depends on a few MS Windows vulnerabilities to enter and spread, and Macworld article says that if you are running a Mac, with Window via VM or BootCamp, you should be a-checkin with Intego, or some other malware/worm discovery/defense tool. I had been running window via bootcamp, but uninstalled it a long time ago. I ran VirusBarrier when I had Windows installed, so I think I'm safe!

Sounds like a nasty bot that could be utilized for some pretty evil stuff in the future. I hope the 'GoodGuys' catch 'em!

fish

Links