DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Repercussions of court ruling against F.C.C. and Net Neutrality

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Well I have my b.s in economics, I'm finishing up my MBA in international business, and I work with businesses and their models on a daily basis, so I've taken a tad more than the intro courses. How can you have a free market if the government constantly interferes with it? Companies need to fail, progress needs to be made, if those companies would have failed, it would have impacted the economy for sure, but other companies would have sprang up, and filled the void. When there are profits to be made you will always have new firms entering the market. If a void is left in the market, you better believe there are going to be firms who will improve upon the failed models. Being too cautious and afraid of the market is what ultimately ends up ruining it. Thankfully there are some of us in our 20s that don't think the government should be holding our hands for everything. Again, safety and public works, thats the governments job. Granted there are certain exceptions, but the more exceptions that are made the more problems occur.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Not to try and stereotype. You sound like a mid 20's recently out of college individual. Am I close?
    Same thing that came to mind here as well.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Don't lump us all in together
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I am not a fan of big government but I do think expecting equality on the internet, which is a huge facet of modern life, and a human right IMO, is not outside the bounds of the FCC.

I am a little shocked to be honest that this demographic holds such a unanimous opinion, the corrupt companies which operate so ruthlessly in the physical world if given the opportunity could easily, vastly change the landscape of the internet, and not in a good way, in a way the strikes at the heart of what makes this internet great: the influence of content created by the average person

If it becomes a world where only the content of conglomerates is easily, quickly, and freely accessible, well that influence would disappear, which a lack of net neutrality could very well lead to...

your minds are already made up though, basically nothing I say could possibly change that regardless of how logical and fact-based it might be, but I feel compelled to respond to such an overwhelming, peculiar tide of opinion,

flame away
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Twitter
    droid1967
    Phone
    Droid 1/ G2x/Nexus
    DroidForums.net Developer

before this gets closed

Funny how this got to a conservative versus liberal point of view.
    I totally agree with you(which ones im not saying)
    But i did hear that all of this would be "coming soon" at a TBD date.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I didn't forsee this being such a polarizing topic but It does make sense I suppose. I think we too often think of things in extremes, black and white without seeing the gray: the FCC ensuring equality on the internet assumes I am implying that the government should do everything for everyone all the time, which is not even close to anything I was actually saying...

and of course diatribes about whether or not companies should be allowed to fail are peppered in throughout despite the fact that I made no statements about that in the article.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    Darkseider is a troll. People should stop feeding it.

@pyro, People who have taken intro econ should also be familiar with the works of stiglitz, or even some of krugman's more current work. The reality of the free market correcting itself is not so black and white. Long term it may certainly be the case, but the short term repercussions of letting "too big to fail" companies fail is not palatable to most Americans.
    So I am a troll because I believe in the law and the constitution? I hear that Canada and England are looking for new residents to post the new taxes imposed to cover all their budget short falls due to their ever expanding entitlements and intervention.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kamk2k8 View Post
    I didn't forsee this being such a polarizing topic but It does make sense I suppose. I think we too often think of things in extremes, black and white without seeing the gray: the FCC ensuring equality on the internet assumes I am implying that the government should do everything for everyone all the time, which is not even close to anything I was actually saying...

and of course diatribes about whether or not companies should be allowed to fail are peppered in throughout despite the fact that I made no statements about that in the article.
    Equality is a human right. The internet is a privilege that you pay for to a private company. You have no right to equality or equal service. You want better service, pay more money plain and simple. You want a car? Get a $10k honda you want better and faster? Pay $70k for a corvette z06. Plain and simple.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Equality is a human right. The internet is a privilege that you pay for to a private company. You have no right to equality or equal service. You want better service, pay more money plain and simple. You want a car? Get a $10k honda you want better and faster? Pay $70k for a corvette z06. Plain and simple.
    I agree 100% ... in theory. It does not work that way in MANY US areas. If your only option for broadband internet is your cable provider (no DSL available at your address, your town has singed an exclusive deal) and the cable provider decides to block YouTube, Hulu and torrent traffic in order to prop up their Cable lineup or own streaming site, you are kinda screwed.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabraham View Post

I agree 100% ... in theory. It does not work that way in MANY US areas. If your only option for broadband internet is your cable provider (no DSL available at your address, your town has singed an exclusive deal) and the cable provider decides to block YouTube, Hulu and torrent traffic in order to prop up their Cable lineup or own streaming site, you are kinda screwed.
    Yep! But then again it is the residents of that town that put that towns administration in place. If the administration of that town signed that deal then it is the right, no, the RESPONSIBILITY of the residents to remove that administration in the next election and put one in that will support their interests.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links