DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Laptops

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Laptops

With the coming tax season and the new Intel processors...I will be having a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket! I need advice for a new laptop that is somewhat small/light (I have a 17" beastly older everex right now). I was thinking about a macbook pro(my fiance has one and we both love it), but they aren't updated with the new intel processors yet, so I'm a little bit hesitant since they will be outdated rather quickly. I also started looking at a sony vaio, but I've never owned a sony cpu before. Anyone have any other recommendations? I will be partitioning the hard drive (or using two hard drives if it comes with it) to dual-boot with a Ubuntu partition for Linux fun! I would love to run mac os x as well, but I know without a hackintosh that is tough to do.

I'm open to suggestions!
    mrnelson86
    Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phone: Motorola Droid
    Rom: ChevyNo1's SS v4.2
    Kernel: ChevyNo1's 1.2ghz @ 1.2ghz
    Recovery: SPRecovery 0.99.3b

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    bump! I need halp!
    mrnelson86
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Session Expired

Thoughts anyone?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola D3
    Personally I like asus laptops, with hp a close second. With a sony you pay too much for the name, toshibas come with too much crap preloaded. Gateways are ok. Ibm's have are their own religion but I personally don't like them. Alienware is hawt but expensive. If u get a HUGE refund you could go falcon northwest or voodoo pc; pretty pretty laptops with souls of piratical-ninjatastic-muscle cars.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I agree with Spyte.

I just bought an ASUS N61Jq with the Core i7 and ATI 5730, runs smooth and plays anything i throw at it so far. Has very few bloatware on it as well. Got it for around $1200 including a 2 year warranty on newegg.com.

Deciding on which to buy all depends on what your gonna do with it. I game so i bought something with higher specs then usual, if its just for web surfing and email then i would get something a little cheaper.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    OP, if you think a 17" is too beastly, maybe you should look into netbooks instead? not sure what you're looking to get out of a laptop, but the 17s seem to be the only ones with half-decent video cards these days.

as much as i love my laptop, i know that i'm limited in my choices. it's only a 15.4" but it's large enough to make travel somewhat cumbersome and small enough that it's at the upper-end of its technology.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @jbjtkbw00
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Personally, I just bought the Asus G73JH-A1. Very hard to come by, but I found someone with it in stock. There is a 15" version of this laptop; also hard to come by. But it's more than worth it. Take a look: Amazon.com: ASUS Republic of Gamers G51J-3D 15.6-Inch 3-D Gaming Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I appreciate the advice, that last one is a bit pricey (1600.00) for me, I would get a macbook pro like my fiance has if I was going to spend that much. She has a 13" and we really like it. I ended up going for a 14" sony from best buy, I linked it earlier. It was 950 + tax and shipping, but it retailed for 1200 from every other supplier, including newegg.
    mrnelson86
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I have dragged Dells all over the country, and I have abused the *&^% out of several of them for the past 10 years. Never a failure. I replace them when I wear the logo off of the back off the screen from putting them in and out of my laptop bag.
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    whatever you do, do yourself a favor and checkout newegg
    DessoThumbs
    ........Stock S4.........

Links