DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need you opinions on school

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid/Bionic/G2

Need you opinions on school

i have an opportunity to go back to school and have the gov't pick up the tab plus give me $1400 a month pocket money for 3 yrs, but not sure what to go to school for. i want to study something i can make decent money doing($40-$50k a yr) but i want to enjoy the work as well.
    i'm retired Navy in the Supply field. i'm a Supervisor of a shipping and receiving dept in a warehouse/gov't store, but would rather do something else. i'm interested in computers and was thinking about something in medical( ie radiologist). one thing that concerns me is my age, currently 44 but by the time school is over i'll be about 47 or so. is that too old to start something new? what is a good field to study? i know technology is very big right now but what is a good job considering my age? i appreciate your responses.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    I think that you have a golden opportunity here to pursue your dreams. Don't even think of passing this up. Be a radiologist if that's something you want to pursue. Anything in the medical field is golden. Baby Boomers are getting up there in years, I know I'm one of them. You will have a great job for the rest of your life.

I'm 57 years old, I wish the government would give me an opportunity like that. I wouldn't let my age hold me back one bit.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I would be on that like a Marine on a Grenade...

That that and run with it!
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I think that you have a golden opportunity here to pursue your dreams. Don't even think of passing this up. Be a radiologist if that's something you want to pursue. Anything in the medical field is golden. Baby Boomers are getting up there in years, I know I'm one of them. You will have a great job for the rest of your life.

I'm 57 years old, I wish the government would give me an opportunity like that. I wouldn't let my age hold me back one bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    I would be on that like a Marine on a Grenade...

That that and run with it!
    The boys are absolutely correct. Follow your dream and don't let this opportunity get away from you. You'll live to regret it if you don't at least give it a shot. Age is not even a factor in 'happy'. Just my two cents...
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Most definitely take the opportunity. 44 is young. Medical or technology? You can't go wrong with either. Just do it.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    My mom is in her 50s and just recently left her job of 20+ years to go in a new direction and start fresh. No such thing as too old if it's something you really want and would make you happy. Best of luck to you.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    I'm reminded of an old joke: "How old will you be in three years if you don't do the thing you want to do?"

... Tom
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    A good deal knows no age. If it's something you want go for it.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    my mother went back to school at 40 for a psychology degree (from being a hair stylist for 20+years) and actually enjoyed it. i think it was because she did it for herself.

on the lower end of your price range, look into teaching... you can pick any subject and teach it. you get summers off..
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  10. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    First, thanks for your service. I'm a Navy vet, also and just retired from Penn State University.

You have a wonderful opportunity that you really need to take advantage of. One needs money to live but money should not be the reason one picks a particular career.
    I believe that one should follow ones passion. Only you can answer "my passion is_____" Once you answer that you will know what career field to pursue.

Don't worry about your age. In fact, you can use your military experience and wisdom to be a leader and help the younger students on their journey.

Best Wishes.

Mike
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links