DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me? or does anyone else hate social networking?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    You know, I find it interesting who decry people who enjoy social networking as having some sort of narcissism about them, that the people who involve themselves in it deem themselves so important that others *must* know the minutia of their lives.

That didn't start with Twitter. Or Facebook. Or MySpace. It started back in the day when people wrote raw html code in order to put a personal webpage up. Which morphed into blogs and wikis. In other words, it's the beauty of the Internet. It allows people to express themselves in ways they didn't have before and share information.

I like Twitter. It's not because I enjoy telling a bunch of people when I sit down to eat, or when I'm going to sleep, or my drive into work. I try to be interesting and share things I think might be interesting to others. Likewise, the people I follow I find interesting. I've also found that searching for topics in Twitter is one way to get an honest assessment of what's going on and how people think.

So hey, it's all well in good if you wish not to participate. It's your life. There are plenty of things I choose not to participate in.

But I've never derided those activities as "retarded". I'd like to be given the same courtesy.
  2. rod
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    i dont mind facebook, but i dont want to help someone raise their barn, or tend their crops, or feed their fish, or complete a hit on a rival mob boss.... all those fb games are a bit too much for me. i use it strictly for keeping in touch with old friends, and for passing the time at work.

(i need to slack on the drinking, i had way too many typos to fix in this post...)
    Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus; running smooth and with no complaints, thanks to dev Peter Alfonso. Keep up the good work.
    Previous Phone: Droid (OG); unceremoniously dumped into the nightstand (I feel as if I should place it onto a wooden barge, set it afloat and light her on fire...).
    Phone Before That: Doesn't matter.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    ugh social networking. nice to keep in touch, but the twittering, and updates and buzz, all self fulfilling actions to feel important.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    What about Forum boards? thats sorta fits in that category. imho
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by Guchi View Post
    What about Forum boards? thats sorta fits in that category. imho
    This is all the social networking I need. At least, I learn something here more so than if I was using Twitter or Facebook, IMHO.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid baby!
    Social Networking can be an important part of ones job. I do have FB, Twitter, LinkedIn and Buzz accounts. I update them daily - sometimes the same info, sometimes different. Why? For the type of work that I do, it's important that my online image is consistent. I want people to be able to find me and get a sense that I'm involved in my industry. Doing this has directly led to money in my pocket so it's worth it.

There may be folks using Social Networking to increase their sense of self worth but realize there are other reasons as well.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I only look at it when i'm bored (which isn't often anymore) and i rarely post. it is interesting to see the stupid crap ppl post lol
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BABY!
    Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    i dont mind facebook, but i dont want to help someone raise their barn, or tend their crops, or feed their fish, or complete a hit on a rival mob boss.... all those fb games are a bit too much for me. i use it strictly for keeping in touch with old friends, and for passing the time at work.

(i need to slack on the drinking, i had way too many typos to fix in this post...)
    Agreed... I don't care that you found your dog in Yoville... But, I was a hater like the OP until about 6 months ago. I joined FB and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to find several of my old USAF buddies I'd probably never hear from again (one of which actually lives near me), and brought my sister and I closer (we both suck at keeping up with the phone calls)... So, it is what you make it.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I use Linked In for professional networking. FB can be tedious but I have reconnected with old college friends I lost track of and I am really thankful for that.

BUT, I swear on the lives of my children, I just do not GET Twitter. I don't give a flying F*** what some celebrity thinks or is doing. And sorry, I guess I am just not that profound that I have gems of ideas or thoughts that need to be shared with others. News? Please. Like there aren't hundreds of media outlets with PROFESSIONAL journalists giving away well written and researched news when I want to read it. Can some one explain what I am missing about Twitter?
    Last edited by REARless; 02-12-2010 at 05:09 AM.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Some good points for I see how it has application but I guess what keeps me away for real is some people just putting way too much info up. Its like gag me please.

I am glad I am not the only one to see it my way.....But to each his own, really!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links