One Month with the i*hone
Here are a few of my thoughts after a month with my iPhone 4S from a former android user (and current fan).
I am not too disappointed, however the cons outweigh the pros.
Pros: 1. The keyboard and the magnifying glass/selecting functions.
2. The way you check voicemail, quick and easy.
3. I like how the notification center shows the weather and upcoming events
4. The main thing I like and the reason I decided to jump was siri. It makes life a lot easier. Thats how I set all my alarms, timers, tell my wife I’m on my way home and it even reminds me to do something when visiting my mother or when I arrive at work.
Cons: 1. No widgets
2. I hate itunes with every fiber and I don’t like not having any other option to put music on my device.
3. No tethering without being “jailbroken”
4. Not very customizable(BIGGEST PROBLEM)......example, I can’t set a bill collectors ring tone to “silent” or even to just send them to voicemail. It has to ring if someone calls.
5. No app for sms to email. None. Maybe a halfass “jailbroken” app.
6. No google navigation.
7. I really like using gmails priority inbox, can’t really use it on this phone. I get notified for every email.
8. If you wan’t to download something over 50mb you have to be connected to a wifi network. Pain in the a$$.
9. All photos have to go into one folder “camera roll” (they be copied into created folders)
10. No custom keyboards I could find only “emoji cons”
11. No uploading to picasa. I really relied on google’s products.
Probably a lot more cons and a few more pros.
Bottom line, I will not upgrade to the iphone 5S or whatever is out there in 18 months. I had the Gnex, but everyone I had just dropped service and I had to make a choice. I REALLY wish I had a working GNex, especially after seeing MIUI and Sourcery drop. I try not to think of it much. Engineering has picked up here so I’ve been very busy at work and haven’t had the time I usually had flashing ROMs so I’m pretty content with my phone now. I will keep up with all the latest on this side while stuck on the dark side.