DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ever wonder who is assembling all our gadgets that we are so attatched to?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Better the prostitution

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Razr (Black)
    The world's economies are so tightly intertwined that if you try to unravel any one small part of it, it weakens (or worse) everything else. No matter how horrible the human labor conditions involved. Note the chocolate children slaves of the Ivory Coast where 40% of the world's cocoa beans come from...

Slavery in cocoa fields: A horrible
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    I am not a fan of many things in China, but it can't be ignored that they have made tremendous progress. Why China Does Capitalism Better than the U.S.
    I agree, Einsteindks, that as their middle class rises, they will have more civil unrest, as we have more as a result of ours collapsing.

However, my "free trade" comment was sarcastic (hence the quotation marks) as there is no way we can compete with them - or many other countries - given the current political & economic climate. And I don't think the politicians really want to. Transnational companies control the political powers in many countries, including the U.S. It's much easier for them to, for example, be "green" by outsourcing their work to China.
    The problem is that China doesn't DO free trade. Anyone that thinks they engage in free trade is ignorant (not a put down but that just don't know any better) or are purposely being misleading to advance an anti-free trade agenda. There are numerous ways that China is not engaging in free trade, pegging their currency to the dollar being one (and a HUGE one at that).

So they are cheating better which is why we can't compete. If we started doing some of the things China does our trade partners would be furious.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher View Post
    The problem is that China doesn't DO free trade. Anyone that thinks they engage in free trade is ignorant (not a put down but that just don't know any better) or are purposely being misleading to advance an anti-free trade agenda. .
    I can understand why you didn't get the sarcasm in my first post, as maybe using quotes around "free trade" was unclear. But I think my second post clearly stated it was sarcastic and that there's no way we can compete given the current political and economic climate.

I agree there is no free trade going on, although I think the reasons are more complicated than Chinese policies.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfBrother View Post
    Better the prostitution

Sadly true. Which is why, as bad as this is, many Chinese are fighting for these jobs. Doesn't make it right, or something we should be complacent about, but it is a fact of life.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by dsprik View Post
    The world's economies are so tightly intertwined that if you try to unravel any one small part of it, it weakens (or worse) everything else. No matter how horrible the human labor conditions involved. Note the chocolate children slaves of the Ivory Coast where 40% of the world's cocoa beans come from...

Slavery in cocoa fields: A horrible
    Agreed. The examples are countless depressing.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Twitter
    @LegalAmerican4
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Funny how everyone drives Toyota, Honda, and Mazda. . . . . And then complain about factory conditions outside the U.S. Maybe if we were supportive of American made? A big reason all these corporations move oversees is because we don't support them and so they go find cheaper labor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Funny how everyone drives Toyota, Honda, and Mazda. . . . . And then complain about factory conditions outside the U.S. Maybe if we were supportive of American made? A big reason all these corporations move oversees is because we don't support them and so they go find cheaper labor.

Toyota and Honda's are assembled in the US ( some models, like camarys and civics for example) , while most US companies (Ford, Dodge) are assembled in Canada and Mexico. I own a 2011 Kia Sportage that is both manufactured and assembled in the US (Mississippi I believe) and I honestly believe that there are very little "Made in USA" products out there anymore because its cheaper to make overseas and bring it here to either assemble and/or sell. I work for Boeing in final assembly for the 787 Dreamliner and yes its assembled in the US (Everett, WA and here at home in North Charleston, SC) and its a global plane meaning the parts of the airplane are made throughout the world and shipped here to assemble. From my experience yes it is cheaper to do things that way.

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    It is a very sad topic that aways seems to be thrown in the back of the pack so people don't read or hear about it, and don't know what it's actually doing, so they think it's just a couple grumpy bitter ex-employees trying to screw over their former employer. There's a lot of old mentalitys out there in the minds of people that hold important positions in our country. To them it's just no big deal. Truth is we can't help everybody else while screwing over our own citizens with declining quality of life. If only we really were team America world police. Love the discussions going on in here, valuable insight indeed. Wish I wasn't working so I could read it all tho. Regardless, subscribed!!

Sent from my OG using DroidForums
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    Doesn't bother me.

Survival of the fittest.

Dog eat dog.

Seriously, who cares what happens in China?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links