DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    That script has improved my Droid's performance dramatically in most circumstances (it seems to adversely affect Opera) but I can still cause it to lag sometimes. This is going to be an issue on ANY mobile device with more than the most minimal degree of multitasking. This is especially inevitable when you look at how many Android apps want to run a background service. Having barely minimal multitasking, it is not surprising if iOS lags less frequently. Whether that's a good trade is open to question.

I suspect that Google mostly leaves memory optimization tweaking up to manufacturers and carriers--which these then proceed to not do. You can only get so far with generic universal settings.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I think Google should somehow bake the memory optimization into the OS though, but yeah it'll never happen. The supercharger script doesn't eliminate all lag, for the reasons you've stated, but it definitely improves performance. I haven't played with an ICS device yet obviously to know how bad it is, but lag is something I've come to expect from Android, and its not a make or break thing for me.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    I think Google should somehow bake the memory optimization into the OS though, but yeah it'll never happen. The supercharger script doesn't eliminate all lag, for the reasons you've stated, but it definitely improves performance. I haven't played with an ICS device yet obviously to know how bad it is, but lag is something I've come to expect from Android, and its not a make or break thing for me.
    The effectiveness of the supercharger-- which merely changes some settings in Android's built-in memory management-- proves the effectiveness of their method. It is already baked in. However, the settings must be appropriate to the specific device. If manufacturers and carriers paid some attention to that instead of UI tweaks and useless bundled apps, we would be in much better shape. I think that's a lot less to ask for than rewriting the entire memory management scheme to figure out its own settings--which I suspect would be less effective anyway.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Could it simply be due to the fact that iOS has the ability to be built with a single piece of hardware in mind, while Android has a TON of different devices and therefore can't integrate it near as much?
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Could it simply be due to the fact that iOS has the ability to be built with a single piece of hardware in mind, while Android has a TON of different devices and therefore can't integrate it near as much?
    That's part of it (manufacturers could correct for this if they cared to). The fact that Apple intentionally cripples multitasking is another. This issue is one of the very reasons they limit multitasking in the first place.

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
    They could, but for whatever reason unknown to me don't. Considering that scripts like V6 Supercharger, etc are able to enable phones to run so smoothy and aren't even an integral part of the operating system it seems that this is an issue that could be fixed. Granted, there's always the possibility that this changes with the Nexus and other phones that aren't loaded down by the carriers with unnecessary processes; time will tell.
    I really think so as well...they can remove lag entirely if they want to bit for some reason they don't.

Android developers in my opinion are better than apple developers. Apple has better designers perhaps. But the galaxy 2 for example is extremely smooth...the browser is as smooth as the iPhone or smoother! I didn't believe it when I read it online from phone reviewers but I tested it myself and it's true. Too bad the networks it's on sucks.

The one thing I admire about apple is it puts good phones out every time. No rushed phone. In that sense they're better than Android.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    Quote Originally Posted by flamepanther View Post
    The effectiveness of the supercharger-- which merely changes some settings in Android's built-in memory management-- proves the effectiveness of their method. It is already baked in. However, the settings must be appropriate to the specific device. If manufacturers and carriers paid some attention to that instead of UI tweaks and useless bundled apps, we would be in much better shape. I think that's a lot less to ask for than rewriting the entire memory management scheme to figure out its own settings--which I suspect would be less effective anyway.

I don't know. The Galaxy Nexus is a stock device, and it still lags (according to the first impressions of course), so I think its moreso something on Google's end then manufacturers. Google and Samsung supposedly worked hand in hand on this device, so its not like Samsung just did their own thing. Memory management is more important IMO than fancy animations and gimmicky things. But everyone has different priorities of course. I'd rather have a lag-free device minus some fancy stuff, then a device that has all this great stuff on paper but doesn't perform.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    bionic
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Ap...-Mobile_id2871

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    I don't know. The Galaxy Nexus is a stock device, and it still lags (according to the first impressions of course), so I think its moreso something on Google's end then manufacturers. Google and Samsung supposedly worked hand in hand on this device, so its not like Samsung just did their own thing. Memory management is more important IMO than fancy animations and gimmicky things. But everyone has different priorities of course. I'd rather have a lag-free device minus some fancy stuff, then a device that has all this great stuff on paper but doesn't perform.
    I love your last sentence. That is me to the core. Make a device and make it work well. Android is maturing much to fast. That is the reason i made the switch to iOS and the iphone. Once android makes a device that is as "dependable" and as solid as what apple has done i don't think i can change.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I wouldn't make the change to apple just because of the way they conduct business. And to be honest the galaxy nexus is not laggy. It handles big pages better than the iPhone on the browser. Plus its pushing higher resolution, a bigger screen and opens flash content as well.

Google also has better integration with their apps like Gmail and maps. Something apple will never have and something I need.

Not to mention the iPhone has that tiny ridiculous screen. Its nearly pointless for videos. My friends try showing me YouTube videos they have to put their phone a foot from my face. Me on the other hand, I can play videos and people sitting in the backseat of a car can watch it.

Both phones have advantages...but at the end of the day I love Google and dislike apple.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    250 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    The Iphone doesn't "lag" because it's never trying to do anything but one thing at a time, unlike an android device which is doing multiple things at a time. It's like comparing an Xbox to a Computer, one does one thing extremely well, the other does many things at the same time very well.

My wife has the 4s and it's UI is super smooth but you can't do anything but click on one app at a time, while my Nexus is still super smooth and I can do half a dozen things at the same time.

Show an iphone user widgets, 4g, the larger screen and multi-tasking and they'll be blown away. They just don't know what they're missing because they're stuck in an ecosystem.
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Links