DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could a Honeycomb tablet replace a laptop?

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    yeah and anything they can't do now, they will probably be able to do soon. i don't think they will ever replace laptops entirely but they will surely become a viable alternative.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by icculusX View Post
    Nothing will replace the computer. I refuse to buy into these iPad and Tab things... If someone gave me one I would gladly use it, but its no replacement...
    Again, it depends on what you want it to do.

Now I can't run Microsoft on my iPad so I need a computer to access Quicken. But outside of that I can do just about anything. I can play music from my iTunes (stream) and I can also direct it to play to my Airport and my sound system. I can't do it quite as easily as I can with a computer but still it can be done.

Tablets are great. And they are here to stay.
    i agree with you. i think i would basically use a tablet as a netbook on steroids for my daily stuff.
  3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    RAZR!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    My main argument is that NOTHING will ever beat a tangible keyboard and a mouse... Nothing is a better interface than those two... If i had to type a long email to a friend on an iPad I would kill myself...

I understand Tabs are the future, but only for little things.
    The Mooooooon!
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    My main argument is that NOTHING will ever beat a tangible keyboard and a mouse... Nothing is a better interface than those two... If i had to type a long email to a friend on an iPad I would kill myself...

haha i totally agree. typing anything longer than a paragraph on a touchscreen device is agony.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    fascinate samsung
    Android Tablets need to evolve a little bit more and gain access to accessories like the ipads addition keyboard by plug in. Quicken is a great example of the tablets not ready for complete replacement. But it is better than a mouse for ease, not gaming of course. But they would eventually make accessories to make everything work out for the transition.

SC 2.9.2
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG droid
    haha i totally agree. typing anything longer than a paragraph on a touchscreen device is agony.[/QUOTE]

Very true (part of the reason I picked up the OG Droid).

I picked up a Xoom instead of a laptop. If you get the keyboard, it can easily replace a laptop for school stuff. The main thing I miss out on is gaming... but that's what my desktop is for. I find the tablet to be great for most things I used a laptop for. I recommend you use the office apps offered on the tablet before making the decision. It sounds like that is going to be the main deciding factor for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaic View Post
    haha i totally agree. typing anything longer than a paragraph on a touchscreen device is agony.
    Very true (part of the reason I picked up the OG Droid).

I picked up a Xoom instead of a laptop. If you get the keyboard, it can easily replace a laptop for school stuff. The main thing I miss out on is gaming... but that's what my desktop is for. I find the tablet to be great for most things I used a laptop for. I recommend you use the office apps offered on the tablet before making the decision. It sounds like that is going to be the main deciding factor for you.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App[/QUOTE]

Yep, you guys are right. But again it depends on how you use it.

Now I can write up an infraction and ban someone much faster on a computer then with a tablet. And I do use a keyboard with mine because as pointed out typing on a tablet is not as easy as on a keyboard. But the mouse thing? I can just point to move a cursor. Sometimes I have to use the arrow keys but it's still pretty quick.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tlozano09 View Post
    Nothing will replace the computer. I refuse to buy into these iPad and Tab things... If someone gave me one I would gladly use it, but its no replacement...
    I guess when i think about it, i'm not necessarily trying to replace my laptop, i am more or less trying to substitute it with a tablet that can do most of the features my laptop can do.
    Mostly i like the mobile aspect of a tablet. I personally hate lugging around my 17inch hp to class. i think it would be nice to have a tablet for my daily stuff and whip out my laptop if i need it for something my tablet cant do.
    Yea i think you guys are all right. I guess i need to wait till android tablets drop down near $200-300 before it would be financially feasible to consider one.

all i can do is dream for now
    If you really want a second device right now, I would suggest looking at netbooks if you're in the $200-$300 range. I don't think good quality tablets are that low in price yet. There are some out there at that price, but not for what you want (I think). A netbook would be easy to carry around instead of the 17" laptop, I checked a 10" netbook at amazon and it was 2.9 lbs.

The newest netbooks have good battery life. I have a 10" netbook and it's nice. Small, easy to carry. I got it for $300 (okay it was marked down because they were getting rid of it, but I've saw netbooks for that price recently). I wouldn't go less then 10" if you want to type to take notes, I tried the 9" and it was a very small keyboard. You could try some at computer stores and see how they work and look.

Since my netbook is for play, if I was getting a new one today, I'd look at tablets (even some lower price (quality?) ones because I don't need it for much) and keyboard.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    ...do you guys think a tablet with accessories (keyboard, mouse, stand), could replace a windows laptop for school?...
    ........No
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links