DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I keep Asurion?

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by FunN4Lo View Post
    You left out destroyed in a fire which was what happened here but wrong again. I got the phone in August for my daughters birthday. I just got another free Friday. I have 4 phones on my account. My D1 is the oldest from February. I do not have any upgrades. THERE IS NO OTHER CATCH. I have insurance on everything, thats why I am asking why insurance is needed. It was cheaper not to use insurance. Keep throwing them at me.
    So lets assume that that's exactly what happened. At this point I'm not doubting you.

I can promise you, it wont happen again until you're up for a line renewal. From my point, the catch is that whatever happened to you is irregular, and not going to happen again, the next time something happens.

If it did, you would be right, there would be no reason for Asurion and cell phone insurance, because, yes $8/month for 24 months plus $80 is definitely more than the cost of a new subsidized phone. It is not, however, more expensive than a brand new phone.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Sundays ad... free new or upgrade (extending for 2 years). See page 19
    Flash View of Weekly Ad Circular - Best Buy

I have been watching closely. Best Buy has been doing this for months. Droid Pro in this ad is $179. It is already down to $50 since Sunday!
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Sundays ad... free new or upgrade (extending for 2 years). See page 19
    Flash View of Weekly Ad Circular - Best Buy

I have been watching closely. Best Buy has been doing this for months. Droid Pro in this ad is $179. It is already down to $50 since Sunday!
    I understand what you did -- but I dont think you did. The Droid Pro you mention is $179 with a new 2-year activation. Any free phone you got is also with a 2-year activation. You cant just keep extending the same contract. So either you 1) added a new line to your existing contract for $10/month or 2) had an upgrade available that you didnt know about.

Back to your question about Asurion -- in 6 months, when something happens to the phone again, you will be unable to get the same deal that you just got. That's it. So Asurion turns your $500 retail Ally into a $300 phone over 24 months.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    I'm with LtKen on this one. You say you're extending by 2 years. The most you can be extended is 24 months from the current day you get the phone, so in other words, you won't have a phone that is in contract any further than 12/6/2012. Lets say you got a phone on 12/6/2010 and a month later 1/6/2011 you go into Best Buy for a "free" or reduced priced phone, you will not be able to get it for the line you upgraded to on 12/6/10, and it will not extend your contract to 1/6/2014. It just doesn't work that way. You might want to sit down and really look at what you've been doing.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - -> HTC TBOLT
    Just like everything else, items depreciate over time. With electronic devices the process is much faster. I have insurance on my D1 and my wife's D1 since the day we bought it in Nov 09. Just the other day my daughter dropped my wife's phone cracking the screen. Asurian wants an $80 deductible for a replacement. Now how much can I get a D1 for? without looking too hard I'm sure I can find a new one for less than $100. Insurance should only be purchased if the value of the phone exceeds the deductible and the cost of the monthly premium. I will get a replacement phone from asurian for my wife, then cancel coverages for both phones.
    My sig was too large.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600 View Post
    I'm with LtKen on this one. You say you're extending by 2 years. The most you can be extended is 24 months from the current day you get the phone, so in other words, you won't have a phone that is in contract any further than 12/6/2012. Lets say you got a phone on 12/6/2010 and a month later 1/6/2011 you go into Best Buy for a "free" or reduced priced phone, you will not be able to get it for the line you upgraded to on 12/6/10, and it will not extend your contract to 1/6/2014. It just doesn't work that way. You might want to sit down and really look at what you've been doing.
    You are telling me I can't do what I just did. I have no upgrades on any of my 4 phones. My oldest phone is my D1, Feb '10. The Ally I bought in August '10 for $50 was destroyed in a fire. (obviously less than 2 years old) I filled out Assurion forms on-line and they would replace for $50. Best Buy gave me one for $0. On the day I got the new Ally, BB also had D1's for free, but out of stock and I needed a replacement without driving to the next city. If in stock I would have another D1 on my account FOR FREE
    Deep Thought #1
    How does Verizon sell phones at their own stores? Any phone they sell, can be found for 50% to 75% less on Amazon, or at Best Buy. Does Verizon operate their stores on a "there is a sucker born every minute" business model?
    Deep Thought #2
    Is Verizon's customer service philosophy: frustrate, aggravate, and exasperate, these annoying interruptions to our day, will eventually go away?
  7. Team FreeMyMoto
    Member #
    Twitter
    Jaxidian
    Phone
    G1 -> DX -> Nook -> TBolt
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600 View Post
    You are telling me I can't do what I just did. I have no upgrades on any of my 4 phones. My oldest phone is my D1, Feb '10. The Ally I bought in August '10 for $50 was destroyed in a fire. (obviously less than 2 years old) I filled out Assurion forms on-line and they would replace for $50. Best Buy gave me one for $0. On the day I got the new Ally, BB also had D1's for free, but out of stock and I needed a replacement without driving to the next city. If in stock I would have another D1 on my account FOR FREE
    They're telling you that either 1) you misunderstand what you did or 2) the person who did it royally screwed up and did something they should never be allowed to do. If you are absolutely certain it is not 1), then it is 2) and you should not expect it to ever work again.
    Support @FreeMyMoto
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0manda View Post
    Just like everything else, items depreciate over time. With electronic devices the process is much faster. I have insurance on my D1 and my wife's D1 since the day we bought it in Nov 09. Just the other day my daughter dropped my wife's phone cracking the screen. Asurian wants an $80 deductible for a replacement. Now how much can I get a D1 for? without looking too hard I'm sure I can find a new one for less than $100. Insurance should only be purchased if the value of the phone exceeds the deductible and the cost of the monthly premium. I will get a replacement phone from asurian for my wife, then cancel coverages for both phones.
    This is wise thinking and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that when it comes to phones I never thought of it that way. I think I'll tell my wife she should cancel the insurance on her D1 now.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid - -> HTC TBOLT
    I just called asurian, the blunt lady who received my claim start up wanted 89$ before we proceeded any further. I interrupted her and asked what phone will i be receiving. She answered "the same droid" I asked her if it was redurbished and she replied "i may be but that is why we are giving it to you at the fraction of the price of a new one". I told her I want an equally or better replacement not a redurbished one. The lady said she can forward me to a verizon store so I can pay full price for a new phone. I told her I can buy a refirbed price on ebay for 50$ but I don't want a refirbed phone. She said have a nice day, and I told her that we will be canceling our insurance since its useless.
    My sig was too large.
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Centura
    Premium Member
    Your yearly insurance payments plus the deductible don't come even close to the price of a new Droid. Not to mention, you can make two claims a year.

It's completely understandable they're only offering refurbished.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links