DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Verizon+AT&T iPhone 4 will put the Droid platform to bed in 2011

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid DNA

Angry Verizon+AT&T iPhone 4 will put the Droid platform to bed in 2011

(Quote:Jim "Say this Ain't So !" )
    While the iPhone is a really nice device, I don't believe this will be the case for Android if and when the iPhone comes to VZW. How about the rest of you? Come on, chime in on this one people !
    =============================================

October 15, 2010

The short story of where we are at the end of 2010 in the smartphone world is this: Apple offered the not-yet-launched iPhone exclusively to Verizon, who turned it down, and so Apple gave the iPhone exclusively to AT&T. The iPhone became a massive hit, which had Verizon regretting having turned it down – and AT&T regretting the negative impact all those millions of iPhones had on its cellular network. Verizon reacted by launching a competing psuedo-iPhone based on the Android operating system, which was no more designed for consumer usage than Linux on the desktop, but it was the best available so Verizon went with it (and so did Sprint, for that matter). Verizon’s Android-based phone, dubbed the Droid, sold well to those Verizon users who had wanted the iPhone but couldn’t get one through their carrier. That motivated Apple to get out of its exclusivity deal with AT&T, which AT&T was growing wary of anyway, and make plans to launch the iPhone on Verizon in early 2011 alongside the existing AT&T iPhone. And that gets us up to where we are now.

What happens next? Geeks who love the Android platform as much as they love their Linux will tell you that the Droid has already won. Verizon has shown that many or most mainstream folks would rather settle for a smartphone they don’t want (or sit pat for years with no smartphone at all) than switch to a carrier they don’t like in order to get the smartphone they do want. They’ll argue that Apple is only expanding the iPhone to multiple carriers in order to slow down Droid sales. And to an extent they’re right. The flaw in that argument, of course, is that with the iPhone’s arrival on Verizon, those same mainstream folks now have the option between the phone they actually want the phone they had up until now only been considering because it appeared to be a close-ish approximation of the phone they want. Given those two choices, it’s nearly a given that Verizon customers will opt for the phone they actually want. In the case of Verizon-using geeks, that’ll be the Droid. In the case of mainstream Verizon users, it’ll be the iPhone.

Which group is larger? Well, there’s a reason why they call it the mainstream. Mainstream Verizon customers who’ve spent 2010 debating whether to buy a Droid or wait for a possible Verizon iPhone will now opt for the Verizon iPhone. Some mainstream Verizon customers who’ve already bought a Droid but wanted an iPhone will now move to the iPhone once they’re ready for a new phone, while some others will decide they’re already far enough down that road in terms of Droid apps and such that they’ll choose to remain on it. But Droid users are nearly all on their first Droid, most of them having bought first one this year, which means they’re not nearly as entrenched in the Droid platform so as to be unwilling to walk away in favor of the Verizon iPhone they wanted all along.

If Apple had waited another year or two, and a Verizon iPhone might have had a significantly harder time gaining traction. Then again, a year or two ago, a Verizon iPhone would have had no competition at all. As it stands, the Verizon iPhone won’t claim all Verizon customers when it launches in early 2011, but it’ll claim most of the ones who ever had an interest in the iPhone in the first place. By the time it’s said and done, only the geeks will still be clinging to their Verizon Droid in large numbers; if anything, the largest concentration of remaining Android users will be with Sprint – and there’s nothing to say Apple can’t expand the iPhone in that direction as well, down the road. Just as long as it doesn’t wait too long.

Source
    Where Ever you Go! There You Are !!

3. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMariner View Post
    (Quote:Jim "Say this Ain't So !" )
    While the iPhone is a really nice device, I don't believe this will be the case for Android if and when the iPhone comes to VZW. How about the rest of you? Come on, chime in on this one people !
    =============================================

October 15, 2010

The short story of where we are at the end of 2010 in the smartphone world is this: Apple offered the not-yet-launched iPhone exclusively to Verizon, who turned it down, and so Apple gave the iPhone exclusively to AT&T. The iPhone became a massive hit, which had Verizon regretting having turned it down – and AT&T regretting the negative impact all those millions of iPhones had on its cellular network. Verizon reacted by launching a competing psuedo-iPhone based on the Android operating system, which was no more designed for consumer usage than Linux on the desktop, but it was the best available so Verizon went with it (and so did Sprint, for that matter). Verizon’s Android-based phone, dubbed the Droid, sold well to those Verizon users who had wanted the iPhone but couldn’t get one through their carrier. That motivated Apple to get out of its exclusivity deal with AT&T, which AT&T was growing wary of anyway, and make plans to launch the iPhone on Verizon in early 2011 alongside the existing AT&T iPhone. And that gets us up to where we are now.

What happens next? Geeks who love the Android platform as much as they love their Linux will tell you that the Droid has already won. Verizon has shown that many or most mainstream folks would rather settle for a smartphone they don’t want (or sit pat for years with no smartphone at all) than switch to a carrier they don’t like in order to get the smartphone they do want. They’ll argue that Apple is only expanding the iPhone to multiple carriers in order to slow down Droid sales. And to an extent they’re right. The flaw in that argument, of course, is that with the iPhone’s arrival on Verizon, those same mainstream folks now have the option between the phone they actually want the phone they had up until now only been considering because it appeared to be a close-ish approximation of the phone they want. Given those two choices, it’s nearly a given that Verizon customers will opt for the phone they actually want. In the case of Verizon-using geeks, that’ll be the Droid. In the case of mainstream Verizon users, it’ll be the iPhone.

Which group is larger? Well, there’s a reason why they call it the mainstream. Mainstream Verizon customers who’ve spent 2010 debating whether to buy a Droid or wait for a possible Verizon iPhone will now opt for the Verizon iPhone. Some mainstream Verizon customers who’ve already bought a Droid but wanted an iPhone will now move to the iPhone once they’re ready for a new phone, while some others will decide they’re already far enough down that road in terms of Droid apps and such that they’ll choose to remain on it. But Droid users are nearly all on their first Droid, most of them having bought first one this year, which means they’re not nearly as entrenched in the Droid platform so as to be unwilling to walk away in favor of the Verizon iPhone they wanted all along.

If Apple had waited another year or two, and a Verizon iPhone might have had a significantly harder time gaining traction. Then again, a year or two ago, a Verizon iPhone would have had no competition at all. As it stands, the Verizon iPhone won’t claim all Verizon customers when it launches in early 2011, but it’ll claim most of the ones who ever had an interest in the iPhone in the first place. By the time it’s said and done, only the geeks will still be clinging to their Verizon Droid in large numbers; if anything, the largest concentration of remaining Android users will be with Sprint – and there’s nothing to say Apple can’t expand the iPhone in that direction as well, down the road. Just as long as it doesn’t wait too long.

Source

I agree 110%. T-Mo and Sprint will still be pushing Android hard, but the only reason Android is anywhere near where it is today is Verizon's "Droid" line.

Imagine how little they will advertise Droid when vPhone 4 sells out 3-4m units in WEEK ONE.
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    With the amount of incredibles and Xs that were sold the android will live on through verizon for a while. Me and a lot of other people prefer android over iphone. The only thing that I like more about the iphone is the resolution and camera which is a simple thing for a new droid phone to beat.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Well, I'm almost willing to be that the majority of members of this forum would not switch to the iPhone. I have no intentions to for a couple of reasons, although if I could have 2 active phone lines I might try an iPhone just because I have a Mac.

The problem however is I read that Mobil Me is still required with an iPhone to sync to a Mac. This is a costly, monthly program and with the Droid I don't have to use anything like that, I'm able to sync everything through Google. Now if I was big into using iCalendar and stuff like that then I'd have more of an interest. But even syncing iCalendar to Google calendar is simple.

I think Jim just felt like he was in the mood to stir the pot with this discussion. Time will tell if there is truth to this or not.

One other thing: You don't have to be a geek to use an Android phone, they are good to go right out of the box. My D2 is stock, I don't intend to root unless someone gives me a good reason and a way to use SPRecovery to do it and I doubt that will happen because the bootloader can't be cracked. So I don't buy that part about "only geeks will have Droids," not at all.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. cdexsw
    whoop-d-doo, so its an iphone? you do know thats its just a name? the specs are not really that great for a "hit device". especially for a device thats has been around alot longer than any of the android devices.

yeah, i am sure vzw will push this device like there is no tomorrow and will make a lot of money and attract a lot of new customers and use some sales pitch to get current android users to buy one.......not me anyway. vzw also has to market motorola and htc's new 2011 q1&q2 device lineups along side the iphone as well. vzw's deal with these 2 makers explicitly states that their sales need to stay current or exceed the current growth upon new device competition aka:iphone

so dont count the android out yet. the android still has alot of punch up its sleeve. android has a big future with verizon. i am not worried.

long live android.

Note: i use a droid not because i am just a geek but because i like simplicity straight out of the box.

Edit: yeah i made some edits to my original post.....so sue me!
    Last edited by cdexsw; 10-16-2010 at 06:10 AM.
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid DNA
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I think Jim just felt like he was in the mood to stir the pot with this discussion. Time will tell if there is truth to this or not.
    I thought this was an interesting article. I found it this morning and wanted to share it with everyone here. As for me, You will have to pry my Droid out of my cold dead hand

Thought it would make a good discussion too.
    Where Ever you Go! There You Are !!
  8. cdexsw
    You will have to pry my Droid out of my cold dead hand
    absolutely.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I do honestly believe that if developers would develop quality applications and quality games for Android like they do with the iPhone, this wouldn't even be a debate.

I hate knowing that 9 times out of 10 when an app is ported to Android from iOS, we on Android get features cut or the game or app is really buggy. One of my biggest pet peeves is that a thing like MLB At Bat for Android costs more than iOS versions AND the iOS version has had live games since last season where our Android version never got live video at all.

They have a better market as well that allows for in app transactions.

How long has 9 innings Pro Baseball been out for iPhone with real MLB players? We still don't have it. How long has Inotia II been out for iPhone?

I mean I could go on and on but if your a tech savvy gamer you are forced to the iPhone or iPod or iPad because of the quality of games and applications. Android devices have better specs but how long do you think the iPhone keeps a game like what I will post below before we ever see it on Android? 6 months?

18 seconds in you will see a clip of two people fighting from Epic Citadel. To read more about Epic Citadel you can read here:

Epic Games Brings Unreal Engine 3 to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch | News | Epic Games

And here:

10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Android will take a hit with a Verizon iPhone, but it's proven it's not just a fad and is here to stay.

I do believe Apple knows that another year witholding the iPhone on Verizon will only further allow Android to cement it's future, and if 3.0 holds true to UI enhancements... Android may do just that

one way or another, the iPhone is still going to sell monster numbers.
  11. UNC
    Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by RodNoc_eR View Post
    whoop-d-doo, so its an iphone? you do know thats its just a name? the specs are not really that great for a "hit device". especially for a device thats has been around alot longer than any of the android devices.

yeah, i am sure vzw will push this device like there is no tomorrow and will make a lot of money and attract a lot of new customers and use some sales pitch to get current android users to buy one.......not me anyway. vzw also has to market motorola and htc's new 2011 q1&q2 device lineups along side the iphone as well. vzw's deal with these 2 makers explicitly states that their sales need to stay current or exceed the current growth upon new device competition aka:iphone

so dont count the android out yet. the android still has alot of punch up its sleeve. android has a big future with verizon. i am not worried.

long live android.

Note: i use a droid not because i am just a geek but because i like simplicity straight out of the box.

Edit: yeah i made some edits to my original post.....so sue me!
    Actually, the iPhone 4 specs are as good if not better than most NEW android phones, and the iPhone has been out a few months.
    No phone has a better resolution, and no Android phone has the battery life...

The apps are better on iPhone, so the buyers will follow....
    Where is the TPain app on Android... Oh yea.....
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Links