DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Verizon iPhone Coming Soon

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Not sure about 2.1, but Verizon Wireless is getting the iPhone this summer.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chinoali
    Phone
    Tbolt, Rezound & Nexus 7
    Well from what i understand, its not the same Iphone. Its a whole new model, isnt it?
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by droid_mike View Post
    We shall see what will happen. Since the rumored iPhone would not be available until late fall, Android may develop a strong enough foothold not to be crushed, but it still will be difficult to overcome the public's love for the iPhone.
    More choices are always better IMO. I don't get the Android fans that feel the need to "protect" Android. Competition in the wireless market is what drives these things, not protectionism.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitticeps View Post
    Wasn't it verizon who was first approached by Apple to carry the original iphone? Didn't they turn them down then due to a futile tug-of-war control battle?
    History is history. Have you seen how much of the mobile OS traffic share the iPhone has in the US?
    http://gizmodo.com/5504622/how-the-i...n-second-place

Aside from some unlocked units running on TMO this means that at&t single-handedly handles more than half (they offer more than just the iPhone) of the mobile OS traffic in the country. It's no wonder their network is so plagued. Well, that, and their poor planning.

Anyway, that's not germane. Sales figures of the iPhone aren't anything to sneeze at either. The discussion forum "industry analysts" tend to assume that corporations hold grudges and such (as if they think and act the way individual people do or something) but in the end it's money and "shareholder value" that matters above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg25 View Post
    Guys...while the actual date may still be in question...how can we doubt this?
    The same way I doubt any wireless device rumor no matter how "credible the source(s)" or how many "pieces you put together". It's certainly kept me from being repeatedly disappointed versus those that hang on to every single rumor and buy into the self-generated hype (see every single 2.1 thread if you really need more examples of the latter). Of course, how others take rumors is completely up to them... It's official announcements or nothing for me as even those can slip.

Quote Originally Posted by MdicnMan View Post
    Only thing they have IMHO is the real docking ability. That is really the only thing that is "missing" from Android phones. Worth jumping ship for? I don't think so.
    Worth is always subjective. There are always going to be people that find a device to be worth switching to and not always for the same reason(s).

Quote Originally Posted by armeddroid View Post
    Well from what i understand, its not the same Iphone. Its a whole new model, isnt it?
    It has to be since the existing models aren't CDMA.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-30-2010 at 07:35 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Meh....it still won't change my attitude towards Apple.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    the new VZW MOT Droid

re: VZW's migration to a higher-speed network

looking to find out if anyone is knowledgeable re: VZW's eventual migration to LTE, which apparently they are slowly rolling out. in that the Droid works on the CDMA network, will it also be able to take advantage of LTE when it finally rolls out??? AND, with the adoption of LTE, will the Droid become a REAL WorldPhone, as opposed to only working in U.S.???? one of the advantages of Blackberrys is their ability to work on GSM networks....
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Meh. iPhone is nothing special even if it is a new whizbang iPhone 4G. Point is quite simple. Closed platform, DRM and stupid app store approval process. For all intents and purposes if the iPhone 4G came with a slightly higher res 4" screen, front facing camera and a slightly faster processor all it would have over the Droid is a front facing camera. Screen size and resolution on the Droid is excellent, we can OC to 800Mhz - 1.2 Ghz safely and have a hardware kybd. Not to mention WE can replace our batteries and WE can add a larger SD card. Seriously? The iPhone no matter what Apple does is a dying breed. The only thing it has is marketing. There are many devices out there now, Droid, Nexus One, Desire, Eris, Incredible, Evo, MyTouch hell even the G1 that in functionality and features are FAR superior to the iPhone.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by baruch View Post
    looking to find out if anyone is knowledgeable re: VZW's eventual migration to LTE, which apparently they are slowly rolling out. in that the Droid works on the CDMA network, will it also be able to take advantage of LTE when it finally rolls out??? AND, with the adoption of LTE, will the Droid become a REAL WorldPhone, as opposed to only working in U.S.???? one of the advantages of Blackberrys is their ability to work on GSM networks....
    The Wikipedia article below should answer your questions. Bottom line is that LTE promises to eliminate the CDMA vs GSM incompatibility issues. But only in the sense that carriers in each camp are expected to move to a single standard. And that standard will require new phones.

3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I hate posting anything strictly out of hearsay because I like having factual evidence as much as the next guy. However, I know someone who works for Sitel. The section they work for is a call center for troubleshooting smart phones and PDA's and according to them there is an iphone "device" coming to VZW midway through the year and the "device" will be a slider. I took this with a GARGANTUAN grain of salt of course but this is just what I've heard and again I'll believe it when I see it.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by NYLC View Post
    I hate posting anything strictly out of hearsay because I like having factual evidence as much as the next guy. However, I know someone who works for Sitel. The section they work for is a call center for troubleshooting smart phones and PDA's and according to them there is an iphone "device" coming to VZW midway through the year and the "device" will be a slider. I took this with a GARGANTUAN grain of salt of course but this is just what I've heard and again I'll believe it when I see it.
    Whatever the device is it is still Apple and iPhone. I waited since the G1 was released for AT&T to come out with a REAL Android device. I was a customer for almost 11 years and waited patiently. I didn't want an iPhone due to its' closed nature and DRM everywhere. They released the Backflip, ugh. So I went and got me a Droid.

Now that being said I have plenty of friends with iPhones. One of which works for AT&T Labs here in NJ. He so desperately wants an Android phone like the Droid but is not willing to switch carriers (HUGE employee plan discounts) and he is not going to pay $529 for the AT&T compat. Nexus. Although every time we talk or hang out he laments about having to hold onto the iPhone. Believe it or not alot of people once they purchase the iPhone regret the purchase after seeing what other devices Android or WinMo can do.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by NYLC View Post
    As another poster noted, an "iPhone" for VZW would technically be a "new" phone even if it looked and acted exactly like the existing GSM iPhone simply because it would be a CDMA phone.

But how truly "different" a VZW "apple phone" would be is interesting to consider. One of Apple's major advantages (compared to Google) with the iPhone is that virtually every device looks and acts like every other device. That radically reduces the challenges for app developers and for Apple (and AT&T) support. (Of course, that advantage exists only if the device is a very good design and the iPhone is.)

Apple has been very conservative in extending their o/s and application set to other devices. The iTouch is essentially an iPhone without a phone. Otherwise, it looks and acts like an iPhone. But with the introduction of the iPad, Apple is shifting to a different form factor and a whole range of new application capabilities.

It will be interesting to see if Apple elects to change the look and feel with an alternative "iPhone" for CDMA carriers or tries to maintain a common user experience and range of applications.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links