DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Storm2

  1. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    i got to play with the storm 2 for a good while today. it is snappy, for sure. i talked to a friend at work with an original storm who did the update, and he said it "completely validated my (his) purchase".. he said the difference was night and day. i think its a bit silly that they released the update for the original storm on the same day that the storm 2 came out... seems like that might kill the sales a bit from loyal storm-users who wanted to upgrade..
    You could look at it as that Verizon did the right thing for the customers who already ponied up the dough too
    Yeah but they were allowing those who bought the original a discounted price to buy the storm 2 also. The people who has the storm got an email stating such. So They did do a small amount to help them out, albeit not much. Though it wasn't verizon that came out with the update it was RIMM. The reason to get the new storm is because the virtual keyboard and screen are night and day also. The storm 2 has a much better screen and feedback response, with a few other upgrades that I myself would get the new storm for if i had the old one.
  2. Administrator
    cereal killer's Avatar
    Member #
    88
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    11,046
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    While the Rimm / BB / Storm have made great strides, i think if they don't start coming out with a better OS and soon they a lot are going to start heading elsewhere.
    you are correct. I have been a loyal RIM customer for years and I am going to be leaving because of this very reason. The java based OS is stale and outdated. Everybody is excited about 5.0 but I can tell you that it is basically more of the same. The threaded SMS is it's greatest feature. Why would I stay for threaded SMS : )
  3. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    you are correct. I have been a loyal RIM customer for years and I am going to be leaving because of this very reason. The java based OS is stale and outdated. Everybody is excited about 5.0 but I can tell you that it is basically more of the same. The threaded SMS is it's greatest feature. Why would I stay for threaded SMS : )
    Unfortinately it's not just RIMM, it's also MS. While winmo 6.5 is indeed a lot better of an OS then priors, it still is not "great" it's just decent. While the others are charging ahead, other companies seem to be standing still not knowing what to do.
  4. Junior Droid
    MrWest45's Avatar
    Member #
    59
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spoakne, WA
    Posts
    6
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    i got to play with the storm 2 for a good while today. it is snappy, for sure. i talked to a friend at work with an original storm who did the update, and he said it "completely validated my (his) purchase".. he said the difference was night and day. i think its a bit silly that they released the update for the original storm on the same day that the storm 2 came out... seems like that might kill the sales a bit from loyal storm-users who wanted to upgrade..
    You could look at it as that Verizon did the right thing for the customers who already ponied up the dough too
    Yeah but they were allowing those who bought the original a discounted price to buy the storm 2 also. The people who has the storm got an email stating such. So They did do a small amount to help them out, albeit not much. Though it wasn't verizon that came out with the update it was RIMM. The reason to get the new storm is because the virtual keyboard and screen are night and day also. The storm 2 has a much better screen and feedback response, with a few other upgrades that I myself would get the new storm for if i had the old one.
    I just wanted to let you know that they did NOT give a discount for previous storm1 owners.. I was there on day 1 for the Storm1. I have my fourth Storm1 in hand now. The updated OS is still buggy/laggy in some aspects. I went to look at the Storm2 and its pretty nice but now I am gun shy with the whole BB scene. I hate having to do a battery pull just to make a phone function. I am gonna try the Droid for my 30 day trial. (I believe I will fall in love) but if it don't I will check the storm 2 forums to get a general feel. by then a lot of the bugs should at least be known. RIM's OS does seem like it is constantly in beta. I don't mind updates but found myself looking for the next leak just in hope that the phone worked better so my friends with the icrap didn't make fun.
  5. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWest45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by New2u View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post

    You could look at it as that Verizon did the right thing for the customers who already ponied up the dough too
    Yeah but they were allowing those who bought the original a discounted price to buy the storm 2 also. The people who has the storm got an email stating such. So They did do a small amount to help them out, albeit not much. Though it wasn't verizon that came out with the update it was RIMM. The reason to get the new storm is because the virtual keyboard and screen are night and day also. The storm 2 has a much better screen and feedback response, with a few other upgrades that I myself would get the new storm for if i had the old one.
    I just wanted to let you know that they did NOT give a discount for previous storm1 owners.. I was there on day 1 for the Storm1. I have my fourth Storm1 in hand now. The updated OS is still buggy/laggy in some aspects. I went to look at the Storm2 and its pretty nice but now I am gun shy with the whole BB scene. I hate having to do a battery pull just to make a phone function. I am gonna try the Droid for my 30 day trial. (I believe I will fall in love) but if it don't I will check the storm 2 forums to get a general feel. by then a lot of the bugs should at least be known. RIM's OS does seem like it is constantly in beta. I don't mind updates but found myself looking for the next leak just in hope that the phone worked better so my friends with the icrap didn't make fun.
    I may be wrong about "everyone" then but I have seen an official email from verizon itself to certain people letting them upgrade to the new storm at a discounted price. I do not know all the details, i figured since i had heard it from more then 2 or 3 that it most likely went to all those who got the craptastic 1st gen.
  6. Junior Droid
    MrWest45's Avatar
    Member #
    59
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spoakne, WA
    Posts
    6
    #26
    DAMN IT Verizon, lol I brought my whole Company over to them (Government entity) from Sprint and no love.. lol JJ I know I am very small fish in the big pond.. I did try to ask CS and a rep at a corporate store for a little kick back but nothing for me. so my apologies, I was just going off my experience. Well at least some people got a little kick back. Sad thing is I was an advocate for RIM and the Storm1 telling everyone "oh, ya it will get better once they update the OS, there are leaks all the time"..lol
  7. Super Moderator
    New2u's Avatar
    Member #
    21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Posts
    3,628
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Premium Member
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWest45 View Post
    DAMN IT Verizon, lol I brought my whole Company over to them (Government entity) from Sprint and no love.. lol JJ I know I am very small fish in the big pond.. I did try to ask CS and a rep at a corporate store for a little kick back but nothing for me. so my apologies, I was just going off my experience. Well at least some people got a little kick back. Sad thing is I was an advocate for RIM and the Storm1 telling everyone "oh, ya it will get better once they update the OS, there are leaks all the time"..lol
    It may only be a small portion of them that did.. IDK who got the emails and the criteria for getting them.
  8. Senior Droid
    Mongoose's Avatar
    Member #
    1035
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    135
    Phone
    Motorola Droid to Incredible
    #28
    This is an interesting thread. Wish I had seen it sooner.

    I currently have a Storm 1. It isn't upgraded to OS 5.0 for the simple reason that it is fast and accurate now. As far as battery pulls and the people that are still doing that...I feel bad for you. I have pulled my battery ONLY when I upgraded some version or another. The trick is a little program called QuickPull...it's on Crackberry. Get it...set it for 0500 and never pull your battery again. As far as the keyboard...I get about 20 - 30 emails a day and I have a daughter intent on breaking the texting record for the universe...the BB tracks 'em and keeps 'em and I have gotten so used to the keyboard that responding is a snap. Its bluetooth connectivity is superb with all 4 of my vehicles...and my boat...and it works in Mexico and Canada.

    The Storm has always performed well for me and thousands of others out there. It was rated very well by Infosync for a reason and at one point was rated higher than the Apple iPhones.

    Now..the Droid is new and I am giving it a serious look because I'm one of those guys that digs new technology...and the Android OS seems pretty cool. The Droid doesn't speed dial, it has some kind of funky little keyboard and you must have a childs fingers to operate it comfortably, it seems to require several battery pulls, the battery life is poor...hmmm...I thought I read ALL that stuff when I got my Storm. Coincidental I guess...

    I guess what I'm saying is if you want it ... get it...but if you think it's going to be perfect..good luck. Personally, I think that if you are one of those folks thats gotta bash the technology then it won't be long until you are bashing the Droid also...my approach is to take it and MAKE it work for me by adding/subtracting programs that I use and think it may need. I have never had a phone that didn't work out pretty well using that approach. VzN is making me a deal on the Droid so I'm going to get one. Then we shall see...I suspect it will work but that speed dial thing is a tough one to lose.

    Ranting....sorry ! But's it's a phone...not a darn PC. Oh...and I never got ANY emails about a discount for a S-2.
    Last edited by Mongoose; 11-15-2009 at 09:28 AM.
  9. Premium Member
    mth04's Avatar
    Member #
    133
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,082
    Liked
    6 times
    Premium Member
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    This is an interesting thread. Wish I had seen it sooner.

    I currently have a Storm 1. It isn't upgraded to OS 5.0 for the simple reason that it is fast and accurate now. As far as battery pulls and the people that are still doing that...I feel bad for you. I have pulled my battery ONLY when I upgraded some version or another. The trick is a little program called QuickPull...it's on Crackberry. Get it...set it for 0500 and never pull your battery again. As far as the keyboard...I get about 20 - 30 emails a day and I have a daughter intent on breaking the texting record for the universe...the BB tracks 'em and keeps 'em and I have gotten so used to the keyboard that responding is a snap. Its bluetooth connectivity is superb with all 4 of my vehicles...and my boat...and it works in Mexico and Canada.


    /
    The Storm has always performed well for me and thousands of others out there. It was rated very well by Infosync for a reason and at one point was rated higher than the Apple iPhones.

    Now..the Droid is new and I am giving it a serious look because I'm one of those guys that digs new technology...and the Android OS seems pretty cool. The Droid doesn't speed dial, it has some kind of funky little keyboard and you must have a childs fingers to operate it comfortably, it seems to require several battery pulls, the battery life is poor...hmmm...I thought I read ALL that stuff when I got my Storm. Coincidental I guess...

    I guess what I'm saying is if you want it ... get it...but if you think it's going to be perfect..good luck. Personally, I think that if you are one of those folks thats gotta bash the technology then it won't be long until you are bashing the Droid also...my approach is to take it and MAKE it work for me by adding/subtracting programs that I use and think it may need. I have never had a phone that didn't work out pretty well using that approach. VzN is making me a deal on the Droid so I'm going to get one. Then we shall see...I suspect it will work but that speed dial thing is a tough one to lose.

    Ranting....sorry ! But's it's a phone...not a darn PC. Oh...and I never got ANY emails about a discount for a S-2.

    First thing to remeber is Quick Pull shouldn't be necessary AT ALL. I had a storm. My GF still has a Storm. The comparison isn't even close, but i'm glad it works for you
    Sometimes , It is what it is !
  10. Senior Droid
    Mongoose's Avatar
    Member #
    1035
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    135
    Phone
    Motorola Droid to Incredible
    #30
    Miami...you are funny and you are absolutely right !! But, as you say in your signature "It is what it is" ...so I guess it's a question of wanting to take the time to download and install an OTA app in about 2 minutes and not sweating the battery pull issue...or pulling the battery every day and getting pissed off about it. I downloaded the app because it makes so much sense and it's so easy. I also identified the issue on the Crackberry forums before I ever experienced it with my Storm and took action so that I wouldn't have to experience it. Seems there are quite a few Droid folks pulling batteries also. Hopefully something like QuickPull will be available for them....although I suspect that a great many problems that surface from these phones are user defined and created rather than the phone itself. When I have both phones sitting side by side and configured to my requirements then I'll make my final decision. Who knows...maybe I'll keep both of 'em...

    BTW - battery pulls, email syncing issues, the camera (ugly), freezing up, the keyboard and poor battery life seem to be the big complaints so far. Haven't seen many solutions but I suspect they will be coming as folks get more proficient in it's use. Good luck. I'll keep researching and looking at what folks are saying...seems like a pretty good phone though.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

storm2 vs lg ally

,

what is better the black berry storm or the lg ally

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+