DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 reasons iphone is better than droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SGS3, Moto Droid, HTC Rezound
    Droidulous is coming and Aptoide is out now. Granted Aptoide has only one repository atm, but Android's true Cydia equivalent will arrive at some point.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    Quote Originally Posted by tktouch12 View Post
    haha, ok, it's not better really any ways, and i dont want to compare them anyway..
    but, (1) jailbroken, the iphone has cydia. personally, i think a cydia type repository based app would make the rooted droid soo much better. we could put apps, metamorph themes (finally could find good ones somewhere, and get them noticed), weird little hacks all in one place. it would be so great. maybe someone like sholes could set it up. does anyone agree? i think it would be awesome
    (2)- not as big a deal, but the iphone has soo many more themes. This goes along with the first point kind of. we need more and a way to organize/find them

anyone agree we need a "cydia". i would even pay someone to develop it if we got a lot of repositories

edit: i just realized this kind of makes it sound like i could help make something like this. i couldnt, but i'd like it and support someone who does make it
    As everyone has already pointed out, there are already root applications available within the Android Market. Cydia for all intents and purposes doesn't offer any decisive advantages IMO, other than convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    how can an iPhone have a theme??? ive never seen one
    The iPhone is very themeable. In some ways more so than Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    More important reasons why the iPhone is worse than the Droid:

1. It rips out my sideburns while I talk on the phone.
    2. No physical keyboard.
    3. Slower CPU.
    4. Can't change out the battery.
    5. Must use the ****tiest piece of crap bloatware on the planet, aka iTunes
    6. You have to use AT&T
    7. It will NEVER support Flash. EVER.
    Not only do the Droid and the iPhone 3GS share the same CPU architecture, but the iPhone's Cortex A8 is actually clocked faster, and has a more powerful version of the PowerVR chip that's also present in the Droid. Also, there is a Cydia app that allows you to view virtually all flash embedded videos on the web. Its even smart enough to disregard ads and only display the video content. Cool stuff.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by gruve View Post
    Themes are for gluesniffing children.
    Second
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ok, just my 2 cents because I have owned all 3 versions of the iphone for the last 3 years and each one was jailbroken. I did not think I would ever use another phone BUT At&t drove me away and back to Verizon. I got the Droid and I can't believe how much I DON'T miss the iphone. The Droid is pretty much everything the iphone was except for me I can actually make phone calls now without worrying if the call will drop, Verizon is the more reliable network. I liked to theme my iphone (and I am not a gluesniffing child) only because I didn't want my phone to look like everyone else's and I couldn't stand the plain black background on the iphone and wanted my own background. The only way to do this is to jailbreak and have Winterboard installed from Cydia. I can't imagine needing anything like this for the Droid because we can customize it already. And all those stupid apps in Cydia you can pretty much already get on the Droid without having to "jailbreak" the phone. I am using my iphone as an ipod touch now. I love my Droid!
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    More important reasons why the iPhone is worse than the Droid:

1. It rips out my sideburns while I talk on the phone.
    2. No physical keyboard.
    3. Slower CPU.
    4. Can't change out the battery.
    5. Must use the ****tiest piece of crap bloatware on the planet, aka iTunes
    6. You have to use AT&T
    7. It will NEVER support Flash. EVER.
    i think using AT&T as a service provider is the worst out of all lol... other than multi tasking.. Their service in NYC is really really bad...I went there for couple of days during early January with my gf. My gf's iphone shows that she got full 3g service and full bars, but she wasn't able use her phone/internet for almost 1 hr... i mean.. no phone call was getting through her brand new 3 days old GS3. I was calling/sms/sending emails and she wasn't able to receive any of them for more than hour... So we asked this other guy who was holding his iphone...Of course he couldn't do anything on his iphone and told me he was sick n tired of his service, told me that I wouldn't believe what kinda of service they are getting NYC unless you live here. He also tole me half of his voice calls are getting dropped during conversation (I also experienced dropped calls from my gf's iphone at least 3times that day.. So rest of our trip, my droid stepped up the game and showed iphone what the real 3g experience was... Finding restaurant using Google Maps/Navi was really easy and quick... It was taking twice longer when i tried to use iphone for same tasks whenever it allowed me. My gf simply said...She blames AT&T for having terrible service and she hated her family for having AT&T family plan, other wise she would have gotten the droid. I also came from AT&T back 04 or 05... Only thing I miss about AT&T is GSM unlocked phones but looks like these unlocked phones will be getting charged for unlimited data plan requirement for all unlocked phones
    http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/02/1...smartphone-da/

I only experienced these problems while I was in Manhattan...She has no problems with her phone or service (hardly notice any dropped calls) in DC Metropolitan Area ( Northern Virginia) and Blacksburg, VA. AT&T recently expanded their 3G to Blacksburg, VA and her iphone 3G download speed is little bit faster than Verizon, whenever I test with Speedtest.net. Iphone's os and touchscreen felt little bit more responsive while navigating (snappy ??). Other than that.. I like my Droid better.. Some Iphone owners (including my gf, we basically switch phones whenever we are together lol) doesn't really care multi tasking, but this was big downer for me... I love how quickly we can switch apps without closing apps....
    Last edited by jkwakopo; 02-12-2010 at 03:21 AM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Hi,
    Droid won best gadget of the year in Time magazine so its whatever. I donít see what is so appealing about iphone except the large amount of internal memory for app. Thatís it.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3
    I guess I'm kinda late on this but themes would do nothing for us look at the peoples home screens in their signatures clearly we can customize. as for free apps or just hacked apps requiring root the market or for the developers who cant afford the 25 fee just post em online
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    AT&T was fine.
    Apple sucks - they are vultures who now are preventing jailbreaking.

Regardless of what the iPhone has it sucks because nothing can be simply dragged and dropped onto the phone and seen/used by any app on your phone. It's a miserable, horrible nuisance that requires WiFi, pairing, moving, and using only one app to read your stuff. Can't download attachments, can't use it as a USB drive properly... I'm so glad to be rid of it.
  9. DF News Team/Mod
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Twitter
    @juliothestar
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tktouch12 View Post
    haha, ok, it's not better really any ways, and i dont want to compare them anyway..
    but, (1) jailbroken, the iphone has cydia. personally, i think a cydia type repository based app would make the rooted droid soo much better. we could put apps, metamorph themes (finally could find good ones somewhere, and get them noticed), weird little hacks all in one place. it would be so great. maybe someone like sholes could set it up. does anyone agree? i think it would be awesome
    (2)- not as big a deal, but the iphone has soo many more themes. This goes along with the first point kind of. we need more and a way to organize/find them

anyone agree we need a "cydia". i would even pay someone to develop it if we got a lot of repositories

edit: i just realized this kind of makes it sound like i could help make something like this. i couldnt, but i'd like it and support someone who does make it
    ok the iphone has been out way longer thats why it has more things...
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    There is NO NEED FOR CYDIA. What is needed is some standard store that can be browsed via the web instead of this insanity that is on the phone. iTunes SUCKs. Cydia only exists because the iPhone must be broken. While it has tons of neat stuff, searching on it is not fun.

I agree with the prior poster. Over time, Android will meet or exceed the iPhone in terms of cool extras. I hope that they allow greater control over the shell so as not to make us root the phone to reach areas like battery and cpu control.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Links