DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Windows 7 Phone

  1. Master Droid
    Wuzz Ranger's Avatar
    Member #
    39634
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    391
    Phone
    Fascinate
    #1

    Windows 7 Phone

    So am I the only one switching to a Windows 7 Phone when they hit Verizon? I love the Android platform but I cannot get over how much I really like the Windows 7 Phones.

    I downloaded Launcher 7 from the Marketplace, this is what has me so intrigued about the new phones coming out.

    More curious about what other people think.

    I don't listen to music on my phone nor do I watch videos....so multitasking is something that doesn't concern me as much.




    Network Administrator by day/ Xbox Freak by night
  2. Droid
    silentbob343's Avatar
    Member #
    40858
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuzz Ranger View Post
    So am I the only one switching to a Windows 7 Phone when they hit Verizon? I love the Android platform but I cannot get over how much I really like the Windows 7 Phones.

    I downloaded Launcher 7 from the Marketplace, this is what has me so intrigued about the new phones coming out.

    More curious about what other people think.

    I don't listen to music on my phone nor do I watch videos....so multitasking is something that doesn't concern me as much.
    Really thinking about it. Hoping some that have switched could come and give us a run down, i.e. pros/cons.
  3. Developer
    WugFresh's Avatar
    Member #
    124122
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    594
    Liked
    33 times
    Twitter
    @wugfresh
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    #3
    I hope for you sake it comes with some serious antivirus preinstalled. Lol. Good luck. I think the only pro would be better in built exchange support, besides that... well... I will let you be the judge of that.

    {{ WugFresh }}
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!):
    +Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0

    ..:: Follow me on twitter @WugFresh::..
  4. Droid Ninja
    dfuser312553's Avatar
    Member #
    110383
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,084
    #4
    Xbox live sounds cool.
  5. Master Droid
    Wuzz Ranger's Avatar
    Member #
    39634
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    391
    Phone
    Fascinate
    #5
    As far as Xbox Live goes, yeah it would be cool to see your status and maybe your friends. I won't be downloading games, from the UK reviews, I see that it takes a while to load the game up after you've installed it. The graphics on the downloaded games are expensive and the quality isn't the best. I would rather save my money and buy the game for the 360 instead.




    Network Administrator by day/ Xbox Freak by night
  6. Master Droid
    bendystrawboy's Avatar
    Member #
    72121
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    797
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    droid
    #6
    id consider it if the hardware were better on vzw, but that trophy is kinda lame...hd7 or something close would be more tempting.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Stelv's Avatar
    Member #
    126298
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,665
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #7
    Not to bash windows but their w7 phones are not selling too well and they don't have very many apps on the market. Who knows if development will slow due to poor sales. They are very far behind Android and Mac in terms of development. You would b getting a lesser OS it switched from Android or iOS. Also they are more susceptible to viruses.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Droid
    silentbob343's Avatar
    Member #
    40858
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelv View Post
    Not to bash windows but their w7 phones are not selling too well and they don't have very many apps on the market. Who knows if development will slow due to poor sales. They are very far behind Android and Mac in terms of development. You would b getting a lesser OS it switched from Android or iOS. Also they are more susceptible to viruses.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Not looking for unknowns and conjecture.

    Viruses-In the latest pwn2own iOS and the BB OS were compromised, of note; "No conference participants have yet to challenge Google’s Android or Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 operating systems." We can't really say how either would have stacked-up until they get put to the test. As it is most mobile platforms seem to require the user to download the malicious software and google has been the pretty bad at policing their app store, just check the front page for a fake android market security app.

    Apps-WP7 hit 10,000 in less time than it took android.

    Poor sales-WP7 is currently are only available on GSM carriers, one of which is the dead last carrier in the US. I believe sales will get better once a CDMA version becomes available.

    So if anyone has switched or spent considerable time with WP7 please weigh in. My greatest concern is the lack of great google apps, i.e. navigation, gmail, translate, etc and inability to tweak low level settings such as wifi tether, overclocking, etc. So yes in terms of current features it is a lesser OS, but in terms of usability and design it is leaps ahead of android. I have tried several ROMs and currently running overclocked on Pete's GPA13, it's good...for Android. Eagerly awaiting honeycomb powered devices.

    Since this will get mentioned...Lack of copy paste, while silly to omit, is a feature I have used only a handful of times and is coming in an update. By the time there is a CDMA WP7 phone I'm sure Copy/Paste will be available as well as multitasking. Hope Verizon takes their head out of their ass and carries a Nokia WP7.
    Last edited by silentbob343; 03-12-2011 at 03:40 AM.
  9. Developer
    WugFresh's Avatar
    Member #
    124122
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    594
    Liked
    33 times
    Twitter
    @wugfresh
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    #9
    I'm not aware if you know alot about hacking or security, but in my opinion windows security is a joke. Compromising a windows phone will be much easier for anyone who knows what they are doing than trying to compromise an android phone. I would strongly advise against trusting microsoft to protect you from malicious activity, and when it comes to security, there is nothing that contains (and is used to transmit) more confidential information than your mobile device. Dont get me wrong, I use windows as my primary OS for all of my computing; its installed on all my towers and its on my laptop, but I will never ever (ever!!!) run mobile windows, or trust microsoft enough to use their insecure os on my phone... just how I feel.

    {{ WugFresh }}
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!):
    +Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0

    ..:: Follow me on twitter @WugFresh::..
  10. Droid
    silentbob343's Avatar
    Member #
    40858
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    83
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    I'm not aware if you know alot about hacking or security, but in my opinion windows security is a joke. Compromising a windows phone will be much easier for anyone who knows what they are doing than trying to compromise an android phone. I would strongly advise against trusting microsoft to protect you from malicious activity, and when it comes to security, there is nothing that contains (and is used to transmit) more confidential information than your mobile device. Dont get me wrong, I use windows as my primary OS for all of my computing; its installed on all my towers and its on my laptop, but I will never ever (ever!!!) run mobile windows, or trust microsoft enough to use their insecure os on my phone... just how I feel.

    {{ WugFresh }}
    Lol where am? The set of a PC vs Mac commercial...have no doubt all platforms have vulnerabilities. The one to receive the greatest number of threats will be the one with the largest market share, just like in the PC market. People looking to do wrong want to do it on the platform with the greatest potential targets.

    Clearly the OP and I are not going to receieve the firsthand type of feedback we are looking for. I should go to a WP7 forum and talk to those that have made the switch and see what hurdles I can expect if I make the move.
    Last edited by silentbob343; 03-12-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Windows phone Rom?
    By srs310 in forum Droid Incredible Roms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM
  2. Windows Phone 7: What do you think?
    By mikespe in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM
  3. Played with Windows Phone 7...
    By patfactorx in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
  4. Windows Phone 7 ad
    By Bilgediver in forum Droid Forums Member News Depot
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM
  5. Anyone actually interested in Windows Phone 7?
    By keyblade in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Search tags for this page

droid windows 7
,

hd7 android rom

,

how to add apps in hd7 other than market place

,
how to protect nokia windows 7 phone from virus
,
how to put android on hd7
,

how to put android on htc hd7

,
how to put pandora on windows phone
,
pandora windows phone 7
,
recording pandora from my android
,
switching to windows phone 7 forums
,
verizon forum windows phone
,
windows phone forum
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+