DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 Phone

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silentbob343 View Post

Lol where am? The set of a PC vs Mac commercial...have no doubt all platforms have vulnerabilities. The one to receive the greatest number of threats will be the one with the largest market share, just like in the PC market. People looking to do wrong want to do it on the platform with the greatest potential targets.
    True. But it's my understanding that creating viruses for a linux platform is much more difficult then with Windows as well.

There's a lot of Macs out there and no attacks. And considering the amount of hatred I see in this forum for Apple you would think some lunatic would have done it by now.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silentbob343 View Post

Lol where am? The set of a PC vs Mac commercial...have no doubt all platforms have vulnerabilities. The one to receive the greatest number of threats will be the one with the largest market share, just like in the PC market. People looking to do wrong want to do it on the platform with the greatest potential targets.
    True. But it's my understanding that creating viruses for a linux platform is much more difficult then with Windows as well.

There's a lot of Macs out there and no attacks. And considering the amount of hatred I see in this forum for Apple you would think some lunatic would have done it by now.
    Exploits and security threats have actually increased on the mac platform along with its market share in recent years, security through obscurity only takes you so far, just ask Sony. It was one reason why the PC/mac commercials discussing security/viruses were so funny because security in Windows was getting much better and vulnerabilities/exploits were actually increasing on macs.

Like I posted in my earlier comment iOS was compromised at this years pwn2own along with BB OS using browser vulnerabilities. Saying there are no attacks is not true, at its core jailbreaking is an attack. Remember the jailbreaking website that was used to jailbreak iOS devices

Not sure how much WP7 shares with traditional Windows desktop OS, but MS has proven that it can make a decently secure OS with VISTA/7.

google voice, forgot to include that in my google apps I would hate to lose.

Well, looking at a WP7 forum I see a lot of things I don't like.

Email syncing seems a bit borked
    No drag and drop file transfer
    Need to use zune software to get files on phone.
    No reflow in the browser

These were the comments I was hoping to hear, not talk of potential security issues. Just have to wait and see how honeycomb does on phones.
    Last edited by silentbob343; 03-12-2011 at 04:07 PM.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Twitter
    @wugfresh
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    @silentbob, I'm sorry to prolong this security conversation, I know you just want the opinion of someone who has one (but why would they be on droid forums), I just need to clarify to you that windows vista and 7 are not secure and must be coupled with antivirus to be secure, android requires you to authenticate everything that wants to run, and comparing that with UAC is a joke, there are gaping security holes in windows, I'm not going to go into details but I will say this, because there are so many viruses targeted towards pc's already, hackers have a great head start.... re-implementing the same exploits on the phone will be easy.

I hope you find the actual information you were looking for, sorry for deviating the conversation.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!):
    +Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0

..:: Follow me on twitter @WugFresh::..
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Does anyone know if I can put windows 7 on the omnia 2?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    @silentbob, I'm sorry to prolong this security conversation, I know you just want the opinion of someone who has one (but why would they be on droid forums), I just need to clarify to you that windows vista and 7 are not secure and must be coupled with antivirus to be secure, android requires you to authenticate everything that wants to run, and comparing that with UAC is a joke, there are gaping security holes in windows, I'm not going to go into details but I will say this, because there are so many viruses targeted towards pc's already, hackers have a great head start.... re-implementing the same exploits on the phone will be easy.

I hope you find the actual information you were looking for, sorry for deviating the conversation.

{{ WugFresh }}
    I want to clarify I am not a Windows fanboy, I acknowledge it does have the highest incident rate and security issues, but this is due to its popularity and being the defacto standard as the PC OS. Look at the number of systems running Windows, mac, and linux. It's a numbers game.

Nothing is 100% secure; not Linux, not mac, not windows. I use MS security essentials on 7 and that's all, but ran XP for years without AV because I can avoid malware websites and trojans from sketchy file-sharing unlike so many. Was XP that secure, no of course not, but the user has a large chunk of responsibility in their systems security. How much of the WP7 framework is shared with their desktop OS is a question I have to ask as well. We've heard of and seen malicious apps on the android market, none of the four mobile platforms has proven to be exceptionally secure in my eyes. Perhaps WebOS, but then again it was more a case of not going after a tiny market that was dying.

As to asking a question a droid forum, look at the subsection we are in "non android smartphones". I currently have a droid phone and was seeking input from former droid users that made the switch.

Is it worth it? Do they regret it? What tips do they have fore those that are looking to switch.
    Last edited by silentbob343; 03-12-2011 at 09:24 PM.
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Twitter
    @wugfresh
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    I understand your viewpoint and I also agree with you that the majority of attacks are due to user error and bad download practices. The most common exploits are designed to fool inexperienced users, like stupid popups or adds designed to trick people into downloading something they shouldnt. That aside, it still remains the least secure os due to their inability to distinguish and protect against the differences between an administrator and a user account, its not like unix/linux security with root access vs no root access, its just access lol. I don't run antivirus on android because its unnecessary, however if I had a windows phone it would be, that's all I'm saying.

The only that would be nice is better in built exchange support, that would be great. The rest just seems like its not worth it.

As for you posting in a different section. Sorry I had no idea, I'm on tapatalk, I rarely am aware what section I am in. Maybe you can physically get your hands on one, that's what I did before I bought my DX.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!):
    +Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.0

..:: Follow me on twitter @WugFresh::..
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid
    I have an original droid and I am going to be getting a Windows 7 phone as soon as Verizon has them available. To be sure there will be some things that I will miss, especially at the beginning, for example:
    • SD Card expansion - The only windows phone that will allow user access to an SD card slot is the Samsung Focus, other than that all Windows 7 phones will not have user accessible SD card slots.
    • No direct access to the file system
    • Car Mode - Windows Phone 7 is expected to get similar functionality in the future with Bing maps, but in the meantime not having it will be a pain.
    • Non AppStore apps - Windows phone makes this much more difficult than Android
    • Gmail Syncing - This will be a tough one to give up, I have no qualms about doing a factory data reset on my droid.
    • OTA updates - Microsoft has been kind of squirrelly about how their update process is going to work, all I know for sure is that in order to do an upgrade the phone has to be connected to the Zune software on a PC, and a complete backup has to be done before the upgrade will install. It is safer, but less convenient.
    I know several people who have had windows phones since they were released on AT&T-Mobile, and I have had a chance to use the phones as well.

The UI, especially for the home screen is very nice. The tiles seem to be much more informative than the status bar/widget solution on the Android. The Office hub is very cool, and if you're a OneNote user you'll be very impressed. From what I understand the SkyDrive integration could be better, but I'm sure that's coming.

I expect to have better wifi performance, I have been greatly dissapointed with the flakyness of the wifi in my Droid. I basically have to be within a meter of a wireless router before my signal strength is anything other than poor, it's probably just my handset but it still sucks.

To be sure, Android is a more mature platform, and it has many more apps and features available, but the windows phone is using a fresh approach that is very appealing to me, and I expect that Microsoft will work very hard to get updates produced that will bring the Windows Phone features closer to the Android/iPhone offerings. I know that I will be giving up some features forever, and others I'll have to wait for, but I think that in the long run the windows phone will be a major player in the smart phone market, and I just plain like the user experience better.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Wow I certainly didn't think my post would go from one extreme to the other. Please let's not get on a discussion about mac vs. linux vs. pc's. Viruses are viruses and they do exist on every platform ranging from pc's to tablets to mobile phones. I'm not hating on anyone, I don't want to see this topic out of hand that's all.

I love all the features on my Droid 2 but some of the features I don't use. I see myself as more of a Windows Phone user if anything else. Now if only Verizon would get on board.

Thanks everyone for your posts, I read every one of them. All in all we really do have a great community here.

Network Administrator by day/ Xbox Freak by night
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    I'm debating it. A big reason is I love my Zune, don't have the HD one just a standard one, and I really like the Zune subscription model so being able to integrate two devices together would be pretty nice. At the same time though, I love Android so it's a tough call right now for me. Thankfully I have 6 more months on my contract to decide before I'm upgrade eligible.
    AOKP M3 - Stock Kernel
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links