DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Verizon stops iPhone sales after supply bought out

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Anyone considering waiting it out and buying a VZW IPhone 4 may want to wait a little longer, speculation is that the IPhone 5 which will be 4G should be released later this year, says MSNBC.
    You tell my wife to wait...lol
    4G means little to most...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yea youre not lying with that one. I asked my wife if she wanted to wait for IPhone 5 and was like hell no. She doesn't care about 4G or anything like that. (Coming from a dumb phone it's not really a surprise) Anyway I odered her the IPhone at 3:01 am on the 3rd like a good husband. Funny thing is I got her confirmation email saying it was shipped already and checked Fedex's website to see that it will be at our house Monday the 7th at 3 pm. I called verizon to see if this was right and the rep said that we were one of the few lucky ones that got it sent out right away. They aren't supposed to arrive for preorders until the 10th.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    100k?!? Are you kidding me? LMAO. So the prior record must have been like 20k (I thought maybe closer to 50k). I just couldn't see tens of thousands of even the most gung-ho fanboys getting up at 3AM to pre-order, but thought maybe the West Coast was strong from midnight-2AM.

Czerdrill, c'mon, lecture me on the millions and millions of pent-up demand! Bawhahahahaha

Ultimately, though, this number means nothing. Regardless of how much they had in inventory, suspending sales at the end of the day was predictable.

But if it took 14 hours to sell 100k that has to be surprising to the downside. I was guessing 400-500k. For a little perspective, the 4G sold 600k it's first day. So comparatively speaking, not a horrible number. Still, all those [allegedly] VZW customers waiting months/years for the IPhone and it's hard to believe only 100k got motivated to order Day 1.

Still doesn't mean much, though, if people are waiting for the IP5. Again, though, after all this time another 5-6 months for a phone that might not even release on VZW in June/July?
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The other funny thing....Of those 100k, at least 1000 are already for sale on EBAY. Can you say "failure to launch"?
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by kptphalkon View Post
    11 million lol

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my D2G
    Reports of Android's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Anyone considering waiting it out and buying a VZW IPhone 4 may want to wait a little longer, speculation is that the IPhone 5 which will be 4G should be released later this year, says MSNBC.
    Apple said NO to that, quite clearly. They could surprise us, but past history and, if we take them at their word, says no.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardface View Post
    Yikes, I just saw a review on CNN where a lot of tech guys are saying the Verizon iPhone is half as fast on the 3G network as AT&Ts...
    That meshes with speeds I've seen. Seems like AT&T average speeds mesh with peak VZW speeds, and on average probably 2x as fast. Little different tech, but 700kbps vs. 1400kbps is pretty much a crawl either way.

I suspect the IPhone 4G rumor is the HSPA+ tech that will be faster still, but still 1/3 to 1/4 the speed of LTE.

On a related note, if you own VZW stock you may want to consider unloading it before public sales are released. Forget the 100k pre-orders, if that's all VZW had in inventory I have to imagine that is quite disappointing. Everyone expect some 6M converts from AT&T, but timing is anyone's guess. It could very well end-up being 6M by year-end (and I think it will), but your taking a risk on the distribution being more back-loaded. Play it safe, sell and then buy the dip if you still think the IPhone has a big year on VZW.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post

On a related note, if you own VZW stock you may want to consider unloading it before public sales are released. Forget the 100k pre-orders, if that's all VZW had in inventory I have to imagine that is quite disappointing. Everyone expect some 6M converts from AT&T, but timing is anyone's guess. It could very well end-up being 6M by year-end (and I think it will), but your taking a risk on the distribution being more back-loaded. Play it safe, sell and then buy the dip if you still think the IPhone has a big year on VZW.

I would imagine they only set aside 100k for existing customer pre-orders... maybe that was an internal guess of how many existing customers waiting for the phone....if so clearly a mistake.

BUT... Don't forget they will not start selling to non-VZW customers for a few more days. I assume they have many many more in inventory right now that are reserved for that release. Let's see what the numbers are after that before we start judging.
    Current Phone- Rezound...unlocked and perm-rooted!
    Recovery - RA-VIGOR-v3.1.3-getitnowmarketing
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I was up late lastnight and was searching google on phones. And i thought i read where the Iphone 5 will not be LTE. I could be wrong but im pretty much sure thats what i read.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg25 View Post
    I would imagine they only set aside 100k for existing customer pre-orders... maybe that was an internal guess of how many existing customers waiting for the phone....if so clearly a mistake.
    Hard to believe 100k is correct because even the biggest pessimist would have guess at least 2-3x that amount.

But whatever the number, there's no mistake on the inventory. It had a full day before shutting down @8EST (the AT&T launch, by comparison, ran out at 5EST). I will bet money that was always the plan - look at the "buzz" generated. The inventory number is irrelevant, basically an arbitrary number that was always going to equal however many they sold at the end of the day. It's inconceivable to me that Apple isn't capable of shipping a few million units over the next couple of weeks. Not to mention, I doubt VZW is going to turn away or make loyal customers wait - if 150k had ordered Thurs, the number would have been 150k.

100k is suprisingly disappointing no matter how you spin it. Even if they didn't "extend" it a few hours, this was the most anticipated launch in cellular history. VZW customers waiting months/years for this, and you're telling me only 100k isn't disappointing?!?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy74 View Post
    I was up late lastnight and was searching google on phones. And i thought i read where the Iphone 5 will not be LTE. I could be wrong but im pretty much sure thats what i read.
    The iPhone 5 will basically be the iPhone 4 with a A9 processor and dual GSM/CDMA chip. Not sure theres going to be much changes past that. The LTE iPhone would be the iPhone 6.

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links