DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I want to get the Droid but...

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Cool I want to get the Droid but...

Hello there great Droid folks,
    I have done oodles of research on this site and others but I'm still not coming up with an answer to my question. I'd like to get the Droid (have a BB Tour now) but:

- I need to sync Outlook 2003 for calendar and contacts on the Droid
    - I do not want to put my info up in "the cloud" and have it stored w/Google
    - I don't use Microsoft Exchange
    - I have a domain name and not sure if I can retrieve and send emails via my domain.

I love the vocal GPS of Droid and the touch screen and the overall screen view. The BB screen is small - but email and sync to Outlook is great.

Maybe the Droid is not for me but would appreciate any comments per my list above.
    Thanks, MFoodie

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    to the forum mfoodie! i know nothing about any of that but here's a for ya good luck
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfoodie View Post
    Hello there great Droid folks,
    I have done oodles of research on this site and others but I'm still not coming up with an answer to my question. I'd like to get the Droid (have a BB Tour now) but:

- I need to sync Outlook 2003 for calendar and contacts on the Droid
    - I do not want to put my info up in "the cloud" and have it stored w/Google
    - I don't use Microsoft Exchange
    - I have a domain name and not sure if I can retrieve and send emails via my domain.

I love the vocal GPS of Droid and the touch screen and the overall screen view. The BB screen is small - but email and sync to Outlook is great.

Maybe the Droid is not for me but would appreciate any comments per my list above.
    Thanks, MFoodie
    Good morning. there sure is a wealth of information here, and sometimes it is easier to just ask
    For Syncing your email and calendar: check out this website for a product that does a great job of syncing your info: Sync CRM/PIM data with phones, desktop software, and web-based services -- CompanionLink but you aren't using exchange so maybe this works too?
    Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help except you don't want your info in the cloud

There are settings on the phone that control syncing. It appears if you turn that off you can keep your contacts local on the phone. You'll want a more positive answer for this one than I have for you though. This may prevent your calendar from syncing too if you go that route.

Here is a review of a mail app, called K9, that will shed more light on email syncing with your non-Google email:
    K9 Mail Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I just called Companion Link and YES, they do have the software to do the trick! Only downfall - currently, you cannot send invites on your calendar. I use that for my meetings with friends and clients. They said, however, this is coming soon as an update in about a month.
    Y'all are great! Thanks again.

Links