DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Definitions for the Droid World

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Definitions for the Droid World

I have just gave up the world of the iphone. I am very familiar with the world of jailbreaking, SSH'ing and pretty much all I needed to know about the iphone when it comes to hacking it. I played with droid for 30 min and was hooked. I dropped my iphone the next day and got the droid. I have been searching for ways to access the root of the droid to see what I can do. Since I just got into the droid world I need a dictionary of some sorts to explain what all the verbatim is about. I have an idea but an explanation of the following terms need a little clearing up. Root, busybox and metamorph. Ive noticed a lot of things I want to do require this but, there aren't any real explanations of what they do. I take it Rooting is like SSH'ing an iphone. Is there thread of definitions for the droid world out there.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    godzilla!! Glad you found your way over Hope you enjoy the droid, and more importantly, the Android OS and all it has to offer!

root - getting to the root of your system which allows you to modify settings
    metamorph - a program created to apply themes, etc.
    BusyBox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla927 View Post
    I have just gave up the world of the iphone. I am very familiar with the world of jailbreaking, SSH'ing and pretty much all I needed to know about the iphone when it comes to hacking it. I played with droid for 30 min and was hooked. I dropped my iphone the next day and got the droid. I have been searching for ways to access the root of the droid to see what I can do. Since I just got into the droid world I need a dictionary of some sorts to explain what all the verbatim is about. I have an idea but an explanation of the following terms need a little clearing up. Root, busybox and metamorph. Ive noticed a lot of things I want to do require this but, there aren't any real explanations of what they do. I take it Rooting is like SSH'ing an iphone. Is there thread of definitions for the droid world out there.
    Welcome to the forum, godzilla927! Rooting a Droid is pretty much the same as jailbreaking an iPhone. It gives you access to parts of the Android OS that are usually inaccessible and let's you configure functionality to your liking. Use the search button for rooting and you'll come up with a hundred threads on it. Someone more familiar with the process will have to answer the rest. Have fun here, and if you get stuck, just ask - everyone's here to help and learn!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    thanks. Let the fun begin........
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3

Head over to Root Your Droid they are really good at explaining all things droid/noob related. Their guides are also very well written and precise. It's a great source of info and walk-troughs that's well organized.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe

Links