DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 89 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Don't forget to make an introduction thread!

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorla Droid Global
    I am a techno-granny and am a died in the wool Apple user. I live in Canada but spend several months a year in the US. As I am only able to use Verizon I was very disappointed not to be able to use an iPhone. I picked up a Motorola Droid Global from Costco and bought a plan including unlimited internet. Have had the phone for 2 days now and I must say that I LOVE it and I think that it can do a lot more than than the iPhone. Looking forward to learning about this wonderful piece of gadgetry.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Welcome! - You'll find everyone here is very friendly, well most of them are interesting according to there posts.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droidx
    ive first started with the first droid then i just got a droidx i love android .....and i like to keep up with the latest news on the droids...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid X - Moto Xoom
    Excited about joining the community! I am an avid Android / technology junkie with extensive knowledge when it comes to most technology! Hopefully, I can provide good feedback!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DInc soon to be DX
    hello. soon to be dX owner. Currently DInc. thanks to everyone here for the talent you share. have a great year in 2011
    sd_N
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    David here, just got my Droid X last week, upgrade from my LG Dare.....still trying to figure out LOTS of stuff, but I enjoy learning on the go. Appreciate all the help this forum will inevitably give me!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Haha. I am also Dave and I also upgraded from a dare

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid-2.2.1-FRG83D
    hey guy's new to the forum, had my droid about six months now just rooted it today and still learning some stuff hopefully this site will help with that.

later
  9. Beta Alpha Delta Omega 3!
    Member #
    Twitter
    droidzforlife
    Phone
    Droid CHARGED!!!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloneldave View Post
    Well, since you asked, I'll tell a little about myself, where I have been for the last 32 years up the Technology Yellow Brick road from my first personal computer - Model 1 Radio Shack with kludgy disk drive and an acoustic modem which cost me $4,500 in 1977. The little portable Droid I have in my hand for $200 is more powerful, flexible, and useful than any of the computers, large and small, servers to laptops I have had in between.

Now it struck me when I linked up both with my first realtime chat with a youngster half a country away, and asynchronous BBS-type conversation (called Blogs today) on the very first public dial-up 'conversation' system - The Source (before Compuserve or any other later one) that this would spur a global revolution of 'personal' communications, creation, economics, and even politics.

But since I knew that so long as people - especially in rural America and remote and rural everywhere else, had to be connected by wires - whether telephone lines, or Internet fiber or copper cables, that the revolution would be confined to urban places.

So I was thrilled when the love of my life when I was 13 and she was 25 - no less than the 'most beautiful woman in the world' Hedy Lamar - 1940's actress - actually invented in 1941 by US Patent the beginnings of what YOU know today as Wi-Fi (unlicensed, secure, broadband wireless). For there was no 'communications cost' ala phone companies between two radios, only the cost of the two radios and the internet costs beyond. Oh sure 'Cell Phone Companies' like Verizon charge for traffic, BUT the wi-fi feature of the Droid can connect up to any other wi-fi base station at no cost 'in between'. (and even the cell phone companies adapted what Hedy invented with her 'frequency hopping' patent into CDMA - relatively 'secure' voice communications)

Even with the relatively low power permitted by the FCC for unlicensed wireless bands - I still as far back as 1990 was able to link two towns in Colorado 30 miles (line of sight, at ZERO cost between the two pre-wi-fi radios (902-928MHZ frequency hopper radios) while US West wanted $2,000 a month for the wired 45 miles between the same two points. THAT ability completed the world revolution of personal computing-communications) For years later I helped in 2004, when I was just a lad of 75 Sherpas at 15,000 feet up on the slopes of Mount Everest connect up Sherpa kids 5 miles away by-relayed wi-fi, to the nearest 'satellite-base' Internet to learn, via Skype, oral English from a Sherpa in Pittsburgh, PA so they could break out of only carrying heavy loads the rest of their lives at $5 a day UNLESS with English they could break out of their dead end lives, and see the rest of the world, make a living, before going back to Nepal and help their children grow and become educated in the ways of the modern world.

I am seeing, at 81, the little Droid as opening up the next generation of global connectivity at very low cost. So I will sing its praises (in ASCII songs), and work at making it do things as yet undreamed. Thanks to Google, Motorola, Verizon - and Hedy Lamar! I might even have my descendants bury me with my little Droid! (all I need is a little wire from a small solar panel in my gravestone) Who knows? You may be chatting with me after my carbon self is gone!

I better start working on those apps it will need!
    Hello Colonel Dave ! Welcome to the DroidForums and let me know if you have any questions...
    Thank You for your donations guys and gals !

10. Beta Alpha Delta Omega 3!
    Member #
    Twitter
    droidzforlife
    Phone
    Droid CHARGED!!!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secnd View Post
    hey guy's new to the forum, had my droid about six months now just rooted it today and still learning some stuff hopefully this site will help with that.

later
    Hello Secnd ! Welcome to the DroidForums and let me know if you have any questions...
    Thank You for your donations guys and gals !

Links