DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: hello and question: 1GB = 822MB ???

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD

hello and question: 1GB = 822MB ???

My phone is spec'd at 1GB, but four different memory utilities say it has a total RAM capacity of 822MB. Where did the other 202MB go? I really need the full gig!

My Android tablet also is spec'd at 1GB, and it has 975MB - still not quite 1024MB, but much closer.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    The phone may have a portion partitioned and set aside for the OS. Just like your tablet where it only shows 975MB and not the full 1,024MB.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Any idea how I can find out for sure? I'd like to know exactly where it is and what it's being used for - confirmed.

I don't think it's honest to advertise a device as having 1GB of memory if only 822MB is available. That's a huge drop.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    ^^What Fox said.

There is a certain amount that is dedicated as certain type of "overhead" reserved just for the system and required apps to keep the system alive. Its partitioned that way to avoid potential memory leaks or "accidentally" closing the processes that would shut the system down.

Also, you shouldn't care or even pay attention to the RAM, Android does a pretty good job at managing the RAM and will close processes when needed to keep the system and apps you use up and running smoothly. If things get choppy, reboot the phone, like rebooting a computer.

This article does a decent job at explaining: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Do some searching on the topic if you dare. There's a lot of info out there.
    FoxKat likes this.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    It occurs to me that it's probably Verizon bloatware. There is much more bloatware on my phone than on my tablet. I froze the bloatware rather than removing it.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    macpro88 - I know how memory management works on the Android, but it's not always enough. I love apps, and I've been running out of memory. My browser starts getting very slow and unstable, and then I become unable to load screenshots in Google Play Store without using a task killer. I finally removed a bunch of apps from my device, and then froze a lot of the bloatware, and that helped. That's why I was downloading the memory managers in the first place.

The one thing I don't like about this phone is, not enough memory! If it had the full 1GB, it would be enough - that's what burns me. The reason I haven't removed the bloatware is that OTA updates stop working. But I don't really care about OTA updates - I don't want JB. Maybe just to see, I'll try removing some of the bloatware and see if it affects total memory. If so, I'll have my answer.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    It does indeed have a full 1GB of RAM, otherwise they would not be able to advertise as such after passing through the FCC. And if it had less than 1GB, it would be reporting with 768MB or slightly less, since memory works in multiples of 64MB

If you really have that much stuff running and open, then you may be exceeding the physical limitations of the device, which I find hard to do, very hard to do, even when I am doing a lot on my phone mine runs smooth with no issues.

Also take into consideration that choppiness can also be due to a few apps using high amounts of the CPU as well, not just RAM.

Found a few other articles if you're interested: Memory Management in Android Welcome to Mobile World !!!

Android Memory Usage - eLinux.org
    FoxKat likes this.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    My guess was correct - it's the bloatware. I found this thread in xda-developers:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Removing bloatware and battery/permormance improvement

I'll do some experiments and see what happens (after backing up, of course).
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Samsung S3
    I think in developer options you can limit the amount of back ground processes running. I leave mine set to standard limit. It sounds like you have something big running in the background. Do you have anything set for auto backup? Maybe move the setting to backup on wifi only.
    FoxKat likes this.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    macpro88 - have you really never run out of memory on your phone? I guess I enjoy apps more than you. I'm a programmer and I like software. I also spent many years as a computer journalist, reviewing hardware and software. To me, it's really fun and I love playing with it. I discovered Tasker recently, and downloaded that and some plug-ins for it, and wrote some really cool scripts. There is some great stuff available for the Droid, and I love this little computer I can carry in my pocket. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has 2GB of memory. If the Razr Maxx HD had 2GB, it would be perfect, in my opinion. Vastly less bloatware would also help quite a bit, though!
    FoxKat likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links