My name is Jim; I am on Pacific Time (U.S.A.) and have a new Motorola Droid 2 Global (with Verizon). I am completely new to all of this and want to learn a few things along the way (though have no aspirations of developing the kind of in-depth expertise that many of the members have).
I do have a few beginning questions:
1. This forum seems a lot like Android.net/forum. It is the same thing with two different names or are they related somehow (other than both being about Android phones)?
2. what is a good source to know good programs from bad ones? The Android Market seems to have everything.
3. is there a way to search more specifically for applications in the Android Market? There are these broad categories (like Tools) within which there seems to be no internal organization---just hundreds of applications listed, seemingly randomly. Maybe there is an order there I just have not discovered. In Blackberry App World, each major category (such as Utilities) has some sub-categories---and within each one of those one can select an order in which to view the listings, such as alphabetical, newest first, or (my favorite) user ratings. Is there a way to access Android Market listings that way?
4. does anyone know of a good anti-spam program (like SpamFighter) for e-mail appearing on an Android? I see programs to fight spam on SMS but not yet on e-mail.
5. I was interested in an application called Smart Keyboard (in Android Market) but in installing it, there appeared a warning, something to the effect of caution, this program can access all your personal information . . . The Application, in its instructions, said there would be such a warning and to ignore it as it is just sort of a boilerplate that appears in any keyboard type of program. Is that true? Is it OK or should one steer clear of the application?
6. is there a section of these forums for beginners---sort of For the Android-Challenged?