I have frequented droidforums pretty much since I got my Droid, but have only just today thought to become a member.
As my signature suggests, I'm currently between roms. I've been having great difficulty getting any rom to get past the red-droid-eye booting-screen-thing. I'll probably end up posting a thread about it later, but I'll give a little run-down here.
I downloaded the .zip for Ultimate Droid 2.3 and 2.4 and have tried hopelessly to install them onto my droid using SPRecovery's install tool. I have wiped the poor device completely and attempted to install UD and a few other roms several times. All of the installs seem to go well until the unfortunate glitchy-looking droid-eye-loading screen thing. *if only I had a bigger vocabulary* Anywho, I don't know if I'm missing out on some steps or what... but I'm not really sure what step I should take next.
Here's what's basically happened thus far:
1. Flashed SPRecovery as recommended by a rooting tutorial.
After I installed it, I rebooted my phone and it flipped out. The battery symbol suggested that the (very full, recently charged) battery was completely dead. Also, service was unavailable. I couldn't do anything apart from look at my apps.
2. Attempted to use SPRecovery's factory restore tool.
I didn't really mind factory restoring it, so I thought I'd give it a try. It didn't do anything when I tried it.
3. Flashed a stock rom to wipe it.
Success! I can use my phone again! :3
4. Flashed a different SPRecovery file in case the other one was just dumb.
~Here's where things get a bit redundant. This happened several times with different Update.zip files~
5. Put an Update.zip file into the root of my SD.
6. "Allowed" and "Installed" update.zip using SPRecovery.
7. Rebooted droid and it comes to the "hey look I'm a cool droid eye loading screen for this super legit rom you just installed!" screen. The screen looks promising, then will twitch a bit and start up the flashy droid boot sequence again.
I will flash the stock rom on it again so that I can have a working phone until I can figure this out :/ Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I would much love to have that super-sleek Ultimate Droid stuff. :3