I just moved in from a blackberry. I got tired of pulling the battery multiple times a day, having the phone burning up my pocket, 2 hours of battery life idle and dropping calls all the time. Figured since I'm a Linux/Solaris guy, I'd give a droid a shot.
Bought a Motorola Droid 2.2 with keyboard
I LOVE this thing ... if for no other reason than running a Linux based OS! The GPS is actually accurate (Best blackberry could do was "Your location within 4000 meters"), there are competent web browsers, SSH client and loads of free apps.
I have a few questions about this ... I'll be doing some searching eventually but if it's not possible, it'd be cool to know ahead of time.
- Can it be underclocked/overclocked?
- Can I get a root shell on this?
- Can I edit /etc/hosts or is the file system ro ?
- Can I compile some sort of samba server for it?
- Can I compile some sort of apache2/mysql/php for it?