DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Xoom or PlayBook???

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4

Xoom or PlayBook???

I've been on the fence about the Xoom. I really like everything about it other than its size, and its in-contract price. The PlayBook seems to be better on those two things, and it will be able to run Android apps.

I guess I'm asking if you think the Xoom would be worth the ~$300 premium?
    You call me names, I call your Mom!!
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    As for size, when I saw the guy in the CES video hold the xoom in one hand like he was holding a galaxy tab, I was sold on size. Price wise I feel $600 for the wifi only xoom model is a ok price when you think about the galaxy tab is also $600.

I have no comments on the Playbook, I haven't even considered it because it's not running Android and im looking forward to Honeycomb.

Sent from my D1!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Where is it that you know the price of the playbook already??

OS, size, and pricing (once the playbook is out) will be your determining factors. Keep in mind, there will be likely at least 4 other android honeycomb tablets (if not more) on the market by the time the playbook gets released. Thereby likely driving prices down. (Race to the bottom as they say). Since neither are out yet, no one can give you an informed opinion on the matter. I would just wait till everything is out then make your decision-making. Funny enough, by that time quad core tablets will be right around the corner. Maddening isn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    Quote Originally Posted by shdowman View Post
    Where is it that you know the price of the playbook already??

OS, size, and pricing (once the playbook is out) will be your determining factors. Keep in mind, there will be likely at least 4 other android honeycomb tablets (if not more) on the market by the time the playbook gets released. Thereby likely driving prices down. (Race to the bottom as they say). Since neither are out yet, no one can give you an informed opinion on the matter. I would just wait till everything is out then make your decision-making. Funny enough, by that time quad core tablets will be right around the corner. Maddening isn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
    Back when RIM first showed the Playbook at CES the RIM tech that was demoing it said "right at $500".

The bezel of the PB being part of the control scheme seemed pretty cool too.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    Yea RIM promised no more than $500. Though I can't see them actually doing that price on a 3G/4G 32GB variant. Personally, I'm not even looking at the Playbook; its UI is a wannabe WebOS. I'd personally choose between the HP TouchPad or the Xoom. I'm most likely going the the WiFi Model Xoom though. I think it's worth it.

If you really are just looking for a tablet that's affordable with a good app selection, I'd go with a Nook Color. It's about $250 I believe and they've gotten Honeycomb running and Cyanogen supports it along a few other developers.

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    A855/ vPhone4
    The Nook Color doesn't have the specs for me. I guess I'll check out Xoom on Thursday, and patiently wait for the PB so I can check it out too.

The specs on the PB are pretty good, but I can't buy anything made by RIM without playing with it for awhile.

And about the OS... the all look like wannabe iOS, so I don't get your point about that...

Links