DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XOOM may launch with non-working SD card slot

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy-SCH-1500 on US Cellular

No usb port!!!

The specs that I saw show that it has a USB 2.0 port, but the unit that I saw today at Best Buy does NOT have that port. I did see a micro-usb port on the bottom if it, but that is, I believe, to use it AS a storage device.
    What the crap?!?!?
    I just bought an android tablet - the flytouch2 - from a china distributor. It's really pretty cool for the money, and has two full USB ports, and two micro-sd ports, and an HDMI out. I got it for my wife.
    What's the deal with motorola?
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrTooDeeToo View Post
    KnowYourMobile is reporting that the XOOM will launch with a non-working SD card slot due to an issue with Honeycomb (not the XOOM hardware itself), but that there will be an update "shortly after" the release to fix the issue, according to Moto product manager Mark Notton.
    Yup. I got my Xoom, and the SD socket had a little plastic slug that says "replace with micro SD card after OS upgrade"

I triec one of my spare cards, and no joy. It defintely does not work ATM.

Personally, I like the way the Galaxy Tab handles the external slot. It uses the 16 gigs of internal flash as the SD card, and the external care gets mounted as a subdirectory. Hopefully, MOTO or Google will do something along those lines.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Verizon Salesman Take

When I purchased mine the sales rep speculated that Verizon was holding off enabling the SD until the 64GB Micro-SDHGs were available.

4G downloading will fill up a card fast.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROM'd DROID

Personally, I like the way the Galaxy Tab handles the external slot. It uses the 16 gigs of internal flash as the SD card, and the external care gets mounted as a subdirectory. Hopefully, MOTO or Google will do something along those lines.
    Have you browsed the file system? It appears to me that the Xoom may handle things this way as well
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsbane0 View Post
    When I purchased mine the sales rep speculated that Verizon was holding off enabling the SD until the 64GB Micro-SDHGs were available.

4G downloading will fill up a card fast.
    And downloading on WiFi (with no usage cap) will fill up the card even faster.

No, I think the issue is trying to let apps access data on the card and on the internal storage. Personally, I like the way the Galaxy Tab does it: the card is mounted as a sub-directory on the internal storage. So the Galaxy's internal storage is really /sdcard, and the actual card is /sdcard/external_sd. There are shortcomings there: the most notable problem is that since most apps don't let you change their storage directory, you can't specify whether a folder goes on the card or on internal storage.

I'm thinking the best solution is that, combined with symbolic links. If someone wants to move an app's data off to the SD card, create a symbolic link to the folder on the card. That way, apps still think the data is in /sdcard/, even if it's really in /sdcard/external_sd
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cplus View Post

Have you browsed the file system? It appears to me that the Xoom may handle things this way as well
    I have. I currently have a 16GB card installed, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access it. No extra folders show up anywhere when I plug it in, and I am not sure what the device name would be - so even if I had a terminal installed, I wouldn't know how to mount it. If you can give some suggestions there, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by TomXP411; 02-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROM'd DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by TomXP411 View Post

I have. I currently have a 16GB card installed, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access it. No extra folders show up anywhere when I plug it in, and I am not sure what the device name would be - so even if I had a terminal installed, I wouldn't know how to mount it. If you can give some suggestions there, I'll check it out.
    card slot wont work until update. you can browse the file system with a gui - Astro File Manager from the market.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    card slot wont work until update. you can browse the file system with a gui - Astro File Manager from the market.
    I know how to browse the file system.

What I couldn't figure out is how to manually mount a device. In Unix systems, you mount a drive with the mount command, but to run the mount command, you need a terminal window. I haven't installed a terminal on the Xoom yet, and I'm not even sure one would work without rooting... that's something I need to play with.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links