DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Welcome to the Motorola Smart Actions Developer Team Forums

1. Motorola Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Motorola Expert
    Premium Member
    SLAYER6669,
    Yes media and notifications are on my list, a very popular request.

"Which location service does smart actions use?"
    Smart Actions uses its own logic to capture locations which is depending on Wi-Fi. We dont use Verizon Location Services at all. To save battery life we check occasionally. Many factors effect how frequently we check so its a bit more than 5 min intervals.

drakenhoffen,
    I'm not involved in product planning, so I don't know if it's coming to the Droid or not.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Actions View Post
    SLAYER6669,
    "Which location service does smart actions use?"
    Smart Actions uses its own logic to capture locations which is depending on Wi-Fi. We dont use Verizon Location Services at all. To save battery life we check occasionally. Many factors effect how frequently we check so its a bit more than 5 min intervals.
    (Disclaimer: I'm a fairly new MAXX owner) I am a bit confused on the location trigger. WiFi must be on at all times for this trigger to work? When trying to set up locations and choose "current location" it said GPS is not activated. I had to check the check the "standalong GPS services" box for it to correctly identify my location (I already had Google location services checkmarked.) Am I missing something?
  3. Motorola Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Motorola Expert
    Premium Member
    Andielyn ,
    Ah... when you go to "current location" we are essentially launching another app, so whatever that app uses to capture your location is separate from our stuff. Sorry for the confusion. For Smart Actions we're using wi-fi to detect such things as when entering and leaving locations. We also do more, but that example is the most straight forward.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    Thank you! That helps. Btw, I'm loving Smart Actions.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR MAXX
    I saw back in March there was a request for Media volume to be an action. I want to second, third, fourth, and fifth this request.

When I'm in my office, I like to have the ringer and media volumes set at vibrate/silence. However, when I connect my phone via bluetooth to my car, I need the media volume to be at 100% or the car doesn't play any audio from the phone. I often forget to do this before I pull out of the garage, and it isn't very safe to make those adjustments while driving (although I manage). Currently my car actions include detecting it is in the car dock, turning the bluetooth on, setting the ringer volume up, setting the brightness to be auto, and connecting to my car system. It covers everything I need while driving except the media volume.

Also, I had this clever idea of setting my phone up to auto detect when I'm at a movie theater so that it can turn off the ringer and essentially set it to a low power mode, just in case i forget to turn the phone off. This works great when I arrive at the theater and pick up my tickets. However, once I walk into the actual theater seating area, it looses the wifi signal and forgets that i'm at a theater and then turns everything back on.

I love smart actions and often try and think up cool ways to use them. More triggers and more actions would be wonderful.

Thanks,
    - G
  6. Motorola Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Motorola Expert
    Premium Member
    I'm glad you like Smart Actions, I appreciate the comments. I've collected these ideas and shared with the team.
    The volume controls sounds good to me!
    JSM9872 and cereal killer like this.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Actions View Post
    I'm glad you like Smart Actions, I appreciate the comments. I've collected these ideas and shared with the team.
    The volume controls sounds good to me!
    +1 for media volume and 'in call' volume.

I'm trying out a paid app (Tasker) for this and it seems to have so many more actions available that I can't give it up but I'm starting to toy around with smart actions to see if its any better for battery and responsiveness. Thanks for keeping it on the radar.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I have a Droid 4, with the Smart Actions app pre-installed.

I don't want to use it. No offense, but I just don't. However, I am getting "suggestions" from Smart Actions which means it is running and doing something, at some level.

How do I shut it down completely, 100%?
  9. Motorola Expert
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Motorola Expert
    Premium Member
    Just select "no" on any further suggestion cards. Smart Actions is built into the framework of the phone so there is no current way to turn it off completely. This yields the best experience for our customers that do like it. Many competitors build their applications in the same way and is a common design practice. We have read in other threads of the desire to uninstall pre-loaded apps and we are looking into this option but this is a non-trivial update. Some features would be lost by doing so. But be rest assured Smart Actions is very frugal about preserving battery life and works at a very sophisticated level to do so. You should actually try it and get more life out of your phone.

If you want to temporarily stop actions from running you can always go to settings> applications > running. Hit "stop" on Smart Actions.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    I have a Droid 4, with the Smart Actions app pre-installed.

I don't want to use it. No offense, but I just don't. However, I am getting "suggestions" from Smart Actions which means it is running and doing something, at some level.

How do I shut it down completely, 100%?
    At least it's telling you that it's doing something. I wonder how many things are running that aren't telling us. I don't know...from what I can tell, this is actually less intrusive than previous "built in functionality" and you don't really need to activate any of the suggested smart actions.

Some of it is actually good stuff - for instance, my Droid 2 had a "nighttime saver" battery mode that I used pretty frequently since I tend not to charge at night and don't need background data running, etc. On Droid 4, this isn't there but there is an option "smart action" to enable it. I haven't noticed it using any amount of battery in comparison to all of the other processes that are running and when it does launch a smart action there is no lag so I don't think it's lagging any of my other apps.

Just my $.02 - to each his/her own. Remove ALL the things!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links