DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: I bought my Verizon Moto X outright so....

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X

I bought my Verizon Moto X outright so....

Why can't I unlock the bootloader and root this thing easily since I own it?
    Do I get a discount from Verizon since my phone is unsubsidized?
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    No you don't get a discount, if you have unlimited data you get to keep it though, and vzw doesn't want unlocked phones on their network.. However they can't prevent you from unlocking it..if you can unlock it..idk..not familiar with the x

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    so then maybe I should have just got the 6GB Max plan, with a subsidized device, and called it a day.

I only use about 2 Gigs a month, if that. I just wanted to keep unlimited just in case. But if I can't get a discount, then maybe I wasted my time and money buying the device outright.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Well...idk...I prefer to have unlimited data.. You never know when you might need it...I like having peace of mind, knowing I won't get data overages and I don't have to rely on WiFi... That's important to me in the case of sensitive documents...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!
    FoxKat and cobravnm13 like this.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I bought mine outright for 1 on Amazon. One big reason was to keep my unlimited data plan, and the other was, well, $0.01 for an awesome phone.

But then I analyzed my data usage over the past 6 months and decided to drop it and go with an 8gb share everything plan. I never got over 4gb with all 4 lines and this saves me $20/month.
  6. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    While Verizon can't prevent you from unlocking it, Motorola can do it's part to make sure you can't unlock it with the standard Moto X. Carriers often pressure the manufacturers into making bootloaders unlockable, in an effort to restrict things that can then be used for free on phones that could otherwise be money makers for them. Part of it is also security on their part and I'm sure another part too is the less knowledgeable messing up their phones and then filing claims on them for a new one. Those of us that have been around since the Droid 1 have seen it too many times to count.
    So it boils down to money for the carriers.

As for rooting, it still can be done, but it's just a little more complicated. As someone who has ALWAYS rooted though, this is the first phone that I haven't rooted yet and I'm not even sure if I will. As of now, it just does what I want and need. But knowing me at some point down the road I'll just want the challenge and I'll root.

Sent by fish1552 from his MOTO X.
    Last edited by fish1552; 12-29-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    CJM, jspradling7 and UltraDroid like this.

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post

As for rooting, it still can be done, but it's just a little more complicated. As someone who has ALWAYS rooted though, this is the first phone that I haven't rooted yet and I'm not even sure if I will. As of now, it just does what I want and need. But knowing me at some point down the road I'll just want the challenge and I'll root.
    I have seen this comment frequently. What does it have that rooting can't or can provide?
    I have the Moto X (unlocked as well) and IMHO feel it requires rooting with xposed and gravity box: phone lacks battery percentage icon, has
    linked volume controls, lacks power off options, display tweaks, etc.
    Or perhaps I am a root junkie who just can't live w/o a rooted phone since the og droid days?
    Originally i thought i would be happy with it as a non rooted phone but I guess i like and determined i like having that extra sense of control and choice.
    Last edited by markwebb; 12-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  8. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    I have seen this comment frequently. What does it have that rooting can't or can provide?
    I have the Moto X (unlocked as well) and IMHO feel it requires rooting with xposed and gravity box: phone lacks battery percentage icon, has
    linked volume controls, lacks power off options, display tweaks, etc.
    Or perhaps I am a root junkie who just can't live w/o a rooted phone since the og droid days?
    Originally i thought i would be happy with it as a non rooted phone but I guess i like and determined i like having that extra sense of control and choice.
    It means that I'm content with the way the phone operates stock and unrooted - nothing more. So far, there has been nothing I want or need that requires me to root the phone. With that said, it also may be due to constantly flashing new ROMs and other stuff over the last 4 years to where I was almost constantly trying to reload data/files/tweaks and such and just decided to take a break.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I run Cyanogen on my Nexus 7 and I get my root/tweaking on with that and am satisfied leaving the phone intact for now. And yes, I run xBlast Tools and many of the modules on that as well and love them. Or I can just modify files manually if need be.
    Last edited by fish1552; 12-29-2013 at 04:26 PM.

9. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    Also, in addition to my comment above, while you may have bought to phone at full price, you are still using the phone on a private company's network. And since the network is THEIR money maker, they can and will do everything they feel they need to protect that source of income. Those of us who enjoy modding/rooting/etc may not agree, but you have to admit, if the tables were turned, and you thought you may lose money to people circumventing restrictions or poaching services from you, you most likely would do the same. I know I do in my private business because I don't want to end up bankrupt in 2 years.
    SFGate likes this.

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    Do I get a discount from Verizon since my phone is unsubsidized?
    I believe to do what you want to do you needed to buy the developer version of the X.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links