DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close to bying a Milestone

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone

Close to bying a Milestone

Hello
    I have been thinking about upgrading from my HTC Hero to a Milestone for a while. I would like to have a phone with a better performance. I want a bigger screen and i just love to surfe the internet and play games/emulators on my mobile. I think the droid looks like it would serve my needs. But it isn't availeble in my contry, so i can't check it out before buying one.
    I have seen some performance comparisons between the nexus and the droid, but isn't convinced that the nexus, is as much better as stated. Some of benchmarks where compared with jit eabled on Nexus and it only seems to be doing difrences in a benchmark test. And also there seems to be a bottleneck with the 3d performance on the nexus as the polygons performance is slightly higher on the nexus, but the fillrate is 3 times as powerfull on the droid.
    I want a mobile that wouldn't feel to old to quick if you know what i meen. Since there is showing up apps that is to heavy for my Hero.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone
    And also
    I have seen a lot of custom roms for the droid, can i use them on a milestone. (GSM net/3g)
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Milestone
    Quote Originally Posted by ClausG76 View Post
    And also
    I have seen a lot of custom roms for the droid, can i use them on a milestone. (GSM net/3g)
    Unfortunately not. Motorola has chosen to lock down the Milestone with heavy security that Google made them disable on the Droid.

For a good overview of what's going on, check Motorola's official FB page: Custom ROMS and Motorola's Android handsets | Facebook

I wish I could tell you to buy a Milestone, but I'm someone who likes to make things run faster and install custom ROMs - and I honestly regret buying mine. I wish I'd waited for the Nexus One.

Forget Motorola
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I believe Nexus One is much better than the droid. Maybe it can fits the Motorola milestone and will be compatible to it. But as you've said, Motorola has been already locked with specific security and now unable to connect to droid.
    Last edited by jeanlery2010; 04-12-2010 at 12:35 AM.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone (Telus)
    I was waiting for the x10 for a long time (had an htc magic sith sense just before) and while both the hero and magic are great phones, and I'm sure the x10 will be good when it comes out. I have to say I have no regrets with the milestone, granted I put some time into rooting the telus one. But with home++ the home screens are no longer choppy and I fixed the scrolling issue with the 2.0.1 browser (the two only real issues with the software).

Personally I also compared them side by side and the nexus is incredebly cheap looking next to the droid or even tbhe hero IMO. It resembles the htc touch and other cheaper phones than it really does a high end divice. The droid feels more expensive and more sturdy as well. Speed wise I didn't really notice much difference, benchmarks will tell you the nexus is faster but I've seen head to heads where the droid was quicker to launch apps, and realistically both phones can easily handle anything you throw at them and are quite a speed bost over the hero (especially in games, and the full keyboard owns for gaming) also if your looking for any games make sure vyou consider the nexus ones multitouch gets confused very easily, so even with on screen controls the droid would be the better choise forgames.

These are just my experiences and for the way I use my phone (games, movies, remote desktop, email, gtalk) the droid has yet to let me down (though the batterys getting kind of close lol)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone (Telus)
    Also forgot to mention nexus one touch buttons are a pain in the a$$. The droids work beautifully. And web browsing can't be beat when your keyboard doesn't block 1/2 the screen. Plus I've read some reviews and seen it personally the snap dragon really doesn't do as much as you think it does, android can't use it properly. Its may one day and the nexus is a bit more future proof than the droid because of it but by that time your going to be looking for your next phone anyways and for right now the droid is the best on the market

My opinion buy the droid or wait for something bettger than the n1 like the x10 or desire (though desire may have the same screen issue as the n1) or wait even longer and see what comes next

Ps. Just wanted to add that I finally beat Megaman X for snesoid, awesome game ! And it ran full screen with sound and transparencies turned on at 100% speed and I beat it using my hardware keypad. Now its onto quake 2
    Last edited by averma1; 03-19-2010 at 12:55 AM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlery2010 View Post
    I believe Nexus One is much better than the droid.
    naaahhhhhhhhhhh
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone
    Thanks
    I Also found the threads about the locked Milestone. Even though i use custom roms on my Hero i might not need it on the Milestone. And i guess since it is rooted (SU) i can use marked enabler for my pais apps,l which is the main reason for root. I was also looking at the nokia n900, but i am getting used to android and i realy like it. Maybe the overclocking on the Droid is overrated since it runs all the programs at max.
    Thanks again
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Milestone
    The new 2.1 rom sadly can't be rooted.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone
    Sad I thought i saw somewhere, that it could. Then i would stick with the older firmware. Apps2sd and Marked enabler is more important.

averma1: what do you think about the pad, especially for diagonal controls.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links