XT720 Optimizer Rev: 2
Tested using a Singapore XT720
All of firmware versions below flashed just fine using RSD Lite 4.6
DOWNLOAD UNMODIFIED FIRMWARES HERE
DOWNLOAD XT720 OPTIMIZER SCRIPTS BELOW
Central Europe STR_U2_01.1E.0
USA Cincinati Bell STR_U2_04.1E.1
Q: What is it? What optimizations/customizations does it perform?
A: The XT720 Optimizer is a script I put together to perform a variety of optimization/customization tasks including:
* Install busybox
* Activate APPS2SD
* Move dalvik-cache to SD or /cache
* Install optimized build.prop
* Install JIT from Froyo
* Theme Installation
* Install updated apns-conf.xml
* Install MilestoneOverclock 1.42
What's new in Rev: 2?
* Star Wars Live Wallpapers (included in themes)
* LauncherPro updated to 0.8.1.0 (included in themes)
* Droid X Multi-Touch Keyboard (included in themes)
* PropEditor v0.3 from psychoi3oy (included in themes)
* Dalvik-cache can be moved to SD or /cache
* When activating APPS2SD you have the option to delete old data from SD card
* Cleanup script is included and optional
Credit for the 2.2 JIT compiler goes to antibyte for the Frozen Eclair project
Credit for the original apps2sd instructions/script go to jakelights for finding the script and whomsoever wrote the script (not referenced in forum post)
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE!
THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED AS-IS AND BY APPLING THESE TO YOUR HANDSET YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES!
Step One: Create an ext3 partition on your MicroSD card
This step is tricky, and the only reliable way I have found is to use gparted under linux with your microSD inserted into a card reader. THIS LINK will provide instructions for use a gparted live CD so you do not have to install linux on your computer.
- First create a fat32 partition at the beginning of the drive leaving about 1GB of empty space (more or less depending on how much space you want for installing apps)
- In the empty space create a linux ext3 partition
- Flag the fat32 partition as boot
- Apply changes
Step Two: Copy files to the microSD card
This presumes you have already placed the microSD card back in the phone.
- Unrar the attached file to the root of your microSD card. It's critical to running the script later that the path to the apps2sd directory be /sdcard/apps2sd
Step Three: Install the necessary applications
Make sure you are already signed into a Google account so you can access the market!
- In the Market download an app called Estrongs File Manager
- Open Estrongs File Manager (listed as ES File Explorer in your app drawer) and you should, by default, be seeing the files/directories on the sdcard
- Tap on UniversalAndroot.apk and use the Package Installer to install the application
Step Four: ROOT!
- Run the Universal Androot application and tap on Root :-) (wait for it to finish before going back to home screen)
Step Five: Run the script
In order to run the script from your handset you would need a terminal application installed and the script will try to move the application while running ... NOT RECOMMENDED! (see post #3) Please only run this script using ADB access from your computer. I've uploaded another guide I wrote on setting up ADB access on a Windows computer and attached to this post.
- Open a windows command prompt and type in adb devices to see if your device shows
- If your device does not show go to MENU -> Settings -> Applications -> Development on the phone and enable USB Debugging (you might also have to drag down the notifications bar, select USB Connected, and change the mode to Phone & Portal)
- Once you have a device showing under adb devices type in adb shell
- Make SURE your screen is unlocked then type in su, hit enter, and tap on OK for the Superuser Permissions box that will pop-up on the handset
- The command prompt should change from $ to # indicating you now have root access to the file system
- Run the following command: cd /sdcard/apps2sd
- Run the following command: sh install.sh
- To exit the script use option 0
IT WILL TAKE 5 - 10 MINUTES TO REBOOT - THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL - TIME VARIES DEPENDING ON AMOUNT OF APPLICATIONS MOVED AND SPEED OF YOUR MICROSD CARD
Once your phone boots up apps2sd should be working, JIT should be enabled, and you are good to go! Use the Milestone Overclock application if you want to see some extreme performance boosts!
*Screenshot clock/weather is Beautiful Widgets with the NakedDroidBW clock skin and EmotiSun weather skin